Traditional Hunting

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Traditional Hunting

Post by OldMtnMan »

I made this post in another thread in the mission forum. Not everybody will see it there. I thought i'd post it here where it will get more hunters looking at it. It's a very strict way to hunt and as it was done in the fur trade era of 1840 as I can get. It's not for everybody and not the most productive. I find it the most rewarding. It isn't a mission but a way to hunt. You could say a way of life. Go back in time and do it as our forefathers did it. Tough men surviving in tough times.

Here's the post.

For anybody nutty enough to want to hunt like me. I've added a couple of items that should have been on the first list. Here's the original list with a few changes.

RME bull.
No shot over 30m.
Must wear buckskins (Trapper Outfit) with no scarf or face paint.
Caplock with no scope.
No tree stand, tripod, ground blind. tower etc. On the ground. You can use a boulder.
No calling.
No scent eliminator.
Urine scent. (See below)
Wind checker. (This is allowed. It's similar to throwing some grass in the air)
Trapper binos only. (no range finder)
1 shot at 100%

To that i'm adding these two that should keep any sane person from copying my style.

No fast travel.............. (unless you can show me you can fly at the speed of sound.)
No Huntermate, except to claim a kill......... (other than claiming the kill after the hunt is done the Huntermate should not be turned on at all. It's not only not 1840 correct. It's not 2021 correct. It's the biggest arcade aid i've ever seen. It tells you where the animal is and where the tracks go. Traditional hunters don't need it.)

I took out the 2 attempts and the 350 score. This isn't a mission but a way to hunt all the time if you can handle that or just when you get the urge now and then. I'll be trying to do it all the time but I know that isn't easy. It hardly the most productive way to hunt but I find it the most rewarding.

This morning I tried a hunt with the inline muzzy. I was going to make a modern version of a traditional hunt. The gun made it too easy and I dropped the idea. I'll stay with what I have here.

Urine scent........I'm going to allow this and use it. Trappers of the 1840 era certainly were aware of using scents. Every trap they set had a scent placed in it. It's not much of a stretch to use it during a hunt too. Since it's urine and not man made. A good supply was available to the mountain men in every elk they killed. So, it's up to you. If you feel a need to use it? Go ahead.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Traditional Hunting

Post by OldMtnMan »

I just did an elk hunt using the above rules. I killed two bulls. No trophy's but it still felt good doing it this way.

btw..You're free to shoot what you want but I don't shoot cows anymore. I'll leave them alone to make more little bulls.

btw btw......Don't worry about a charging grizz. The PRB has more than enough power to stop a grizz DRT. Brain shots work well but if it's head is up center chest works. The open sights make it easy to get a sight picture fast.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I thought i'd leave those settings up to the hunter. I don't want to make it too hard.

I do turn mine off. It makes me be extra careful with my shots so I don't need to track.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Trad bows are fun as well, especially the longbow. Maybe even go to the early 1900's and try the .30WCF lever-action, .45LC revolver, and 16GA hammergun. All of these of those weapons require a bit more patience and closer shots to truly yield results. A bit more challenging to get DRT shots, so in my opinion it adds to realism.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

Dubitabilus wrote:Trad bows are fun as well, especially the longbow. Maybe even go to the early 1900's and try the .30WCF lever-action, .45LC revolver, and 16GA hammergun. All of these of those weapons require a bit more patience and closer shots to truly yield results. A bit more challenging to get DRT shots, so in my opinion it adds to realism.
I enjoy taking the 30-30 out for deer (especially blacktail) using only open sights. It's just like how I started out when I was a young'un.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Dubitabilus wrote:Trad bows are fun as well, especially the longbow. Maybe even go to the early 1900's and try the .30WCF lever-action, .45LC revolver, and 16GA hammergun. All of these of those weapons require a bit more patience and closer shots to truly yield results. A bit more challenging to get DRT shots, so in my opinion it adds to realism.
Yes, nobody needs to follow my rules. I just happen to be into the mountain man era. Pick your own and make up some rules. Make it as real as you can handle.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

mel_o_mel wrote:
I enjoy taking the 30-30 out for deer (especially blacktail) using only open sights. It's just like how I started out when I was a young'un.
Here's my 30-30 story. I was under 10 years old and hunting for squirrels and rabbits with a .22. Dad was teaching me and my brother to still hunt. One day in early Dec said to both of us........How would you like to go big game hunting boys? We both couldn't yell out "YEAH!" fast enough. Two weeks later for Christmas we both got a Win 94 in 30-30's. I was beyond happy. I slept with that gun. At 11 years old I started to hunt for whitetails. At 12 yrs old I started to hunt for black bear too. Dad went into more advanced still hunting tactics. We both loved it and soaked it all in. At 13 years old we went on our first elk hunt. I couldn't stop smiling and knew I had found what I wanted to do the rest of my life for hunting. I read every book there was on elk. When not in hunting season I went to the mountains and scouted and just sat and watched elk. I got to know there habits and what they did and where they went when spooked. The say to become a good elk hunter you need to think like an elk. I did my best to do that.

I started to elk hunt in 1955 and used the 30-30 until 1980 when I decided to try a muzzleloader. I used the Hawken until my retirement from hunting. The 30-30 and the Hawken never me down. I never lost an animal that I shot. I can't imagine how many shot I turned down because they didn't look right. I've become sloppy in game and that needs to stop. If I want to simulate real hunting I have to do it all. Including the shots I take.

So, I agree the 30-30 s a good choice and don't think I have thought about using it for a realistic 1950's set of realistic rules and get immersed in it.

I haven't even bought the gun in game. How does it do with elk? What bullet does it use? We always used the 170gr Nosler Partition. No problem knocking down a bull elk with double lung shots under 75 yds. If they made it weak in game I could do like you and just hunt for muley's.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I answered my own question. I checked it in store and then Wiki. It seems they took the majority who don't really know and made it a deer gun only. They didn't even add black bear and it's well known at the whole hunting world that the 30-30 is the perfect black bear gun. Not on the list. Deer only. I was excited when I saw they used the 170gr Nosler Partition bullet and then they make the gun a weakling. I won't own a gun that I can't hunt elk with.

I have one option but it's not true to what I did for real hunting. Get the 30-06 lever gun and make believe it's a 30-30. Not sure i'd be happy doing that. Crap!
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

OldMtnMan wrote:I answered my own question. I checked it in store and then Wiki. It seems they took the majority who don't really know and made it a deer gun only. They didn't even add black bear and it's well known at the whole hunting world that the 30-30 is the perfect black bear gun. Not on the list. Deer only. I was excited when I saw they used the 170gr Nosler Partition bullet and then they make the gun a weakling. I won't own a gun that I can't hunt elk with.

I have one option but it's not true to what I did for real hunting. Get the 30-06 lever gun and make believe it's a 30-30. Not sure i'd be happy doing that. Crap!
Yep, the 30-30 should be a little stronger, there were better choices for lever action cartridges than the 30-06, and I should be able to hunt deer with the 45-70.

But since I try and keep my 30-30 shots under 125 meters it encourages me to leave the scope at home and increases the immersion.

I pretend that the 30-06 is actually an old 38-55.

The 45-70 Lever Action is one of my favorite guns even though they made it way overpowered and you can't hunt deer (but elk are ok) with it. And the Buffalo Rifle is also a lot of fun. Both 45-70s have outstanding iron sights that make it possible to take game (like elk)well over 100 meters without a scope. Oh, and did I mention that the 45-70 is permitted for elk? Just making sure. :D

There's also the .405 Lever Action which is also legal for elk and black bear and can't be fitted with a scope at all.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do a little blacktail hunting with my 30-30 :)
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)

Return to “General Chat”