Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by TreeKiwi »

Howdy Hunters,

We have noticed some people starting to ask questions about the future of theHunter Classic
and we know that you do so because - just like us - you care greatly for the game. That being
said, I am excited to announce that we are currently revising our business model!

The primary reason for us to do this is that we want to ensure the longevity and accessibility
of this amazing game! We have not finalised anything yet, as we have a lot of our own player
data to process and we want to make sure that we do not make any rash decisions. However,
ideally we would like to have things finalised before summer.

Since we know some changes are going to happen, starting today we will remove the 12 and
6 month membership options from the store. This is only a precaution to stop the potential
for players to purchase a product that might change later down the line and we feel it’s only
fair that you can decide how you want to spend your money, after we present the new business
model. The 3 month memberships will still be available for purchase and soon you will be able
to purchase them with em$ as well. It is important to know, these changes only apply to
memberships, em$ will stay the main currency in the game, no matter what changes occur.
So this means that items, weapons etc. will still be purchasable using em$. Our goal is to make
sure that em$ are always a good investment, now and after any change.

We realise some players have a lot of membership time paid for, that surpasses even this year.
Depending on the direction we head in, we will offer these members some type of compensation.
So if you are one of these players, you are on our radar and we are very keen to keep good
relations with everyone.

A few things to take away from this:
  • The changes are being done to ensure the game is around for a long time yet
  • em$ are not going anywhere, so if you are sitting on a pile of them, before and after any changes,
    they will still be the main in game currency. We want to ensure that em$ are always going to be a
    good investment.
  • We have members on our radar that have lengthy memberships and are considering how any change
    might affect them
  • Events, Competitions and Content will still be released… some have been requested by the
    community for awhile… ‘Placeable Archery Targets’ anyone?
  • Bug fixes and making sure all species have missions and competitions attached to them are a
    high priority for us at the moment
As soon as we have more information to share with you all, it will be posted.

Kind regards,

TK and the Classic team.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Re: Update about memberships and business model

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Hard to know what to say, slight lump in the throat..... but theHunter will continue which is great news even if in "scaled back" modus. This thread will make interesting reading. But Treekiwi, as long as there is a game my monthly 5000ems will get purchased !!! so lets get an Africa map in the game and go out with a bang.....

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I guess I really don't know how to interpret what you are saying Mat, but like Schlachtwolf I am hoping that the game will continue, and it sounds like it will.

Also, I am excited about these new archery targets :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Like the others , not quite sure what it was said here . No real infos on where the game is going .

Keywords here :
- Changes will be made , but we don't know what they are .
- em$ will stay . yeah :?
- Some membership options will be remove . Smells bad .
- Compensations for members with long term membership . oh oh ! :o
Last edited by DYEUZ on February 5th, 2019, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Super to hear about the placeable archery targets, but the rest reads more like an obituary than an awesome road map for this year.
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

My first thought is that it sounds like you might be trying to get rid of subscriptions, with a view to increasing the sale of currency. To be prepared to compensate members with extensive membership time somewhat reinforces that theory. Would it be a bad thing if true? I'm not sure.

Either way I don't think any assurances about trying to maintain longevity can alter the glaringly obvious fact that this is a step towards the end. After a decade, a sudden change in the commercial model of the game can only possibly be prompted by a desperate need to maximise revenue and profit. If the end is close then there's nothing wrong with that, but some transparency would be appreciated. I can't help but view this announcement as bad news being sugar coated.

Well, whatever the outcome, I genuinely hope you guys are able to find a solution that enables the game to continue running, even if there's nobody at home. But, as always, and probably to nobody's surprise, I interpret this as bad news.

That 2019 roadmap would be nice right about now, if for no other reason than to curb some of the negative speculation.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Have to agree with you David. Unfortunately I am afraid this is the "Road Map"
Spoiler:
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Change always brings resistance to those affected. ( i read between the lines "we are not making enough money" too)

keeping Em$ asl the currency is alright. A plan for "years to come" is worth some bumps. Looking forward to your 2019 and beyond plan!
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

basically that's exactly what the community says! not able to see worse! but where are you looking for them? and your authority? in europe it's forbidden! free! I am ... angry but the comunity will continue without you (and in justice) good luck ... merci TK and FRbug ...our Undertaker !!!
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Not sure what to make of this. Sounds like they are moving to micro-transactions for everything. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the details bring. But at the least it doesn't sound like they are shutting the game down this year or anything.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”