heavy recurve vs. traditional recurve power?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: heavy recurve vs. traditional recurve power?

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I thought that the regular recurve had a point on distance of 30m. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I put the tip of the arrow on the 30m moose at the redfeather range, the arrow hits that spot. I don't know what the heavy recurve is, but I know it's not that far. At this point I don't really think of distance with it anymore. Just point and shoot. Pretty sad when you can shoot a virtual recurve instinctively eh? :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

Quick note:

There are NINE missions requiring the Modern Recurve.

There are NONE for the Heavy Recurve.

just sayin'...
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

A simple sight for unsighted weapons like bows, is simply two lengths of cotton , one vertical and one horizontal to form a cross hair in the center of the screen.
Tape them to the screen body with sellotape, not to the screen, and adjust the exact intersection point for the range you mostly shoot at, at the shooting range.
After a short time you will become familiar with where the arrow head needs to be in relation to your improvised sight and you can remove it. (or Not.)
This trick has been around since hunting games first evolved.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

the normal recurve in my opinion is the best overall natural bow. dont see a point in the heavy bow. as the normal recurve is easy to aim hit the target.which ideally is what you want the damage difference isnt really worth debating its so close or almost the same. i have done videos showing all the naturally bows is action to compare them in people are interested.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Pretty sad when you can shoot a virtual recurve instinctively eh?

The sad part is that no one here believes it can be done with a virtual recurve. You know it can and I know it can because that is the way we shoot it.
Spoiler:
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

TheSheWolf wrote:Ahh, I don't use the screen center as I've no idea where that is :D I use the point right at the top of the arrow, I suppose, between the top/right head blades. For that, it's centered perfectly at 20 yards, with aiming a bit down at 10, and higher at 30.

What do you use/mean when you say viewfinder, when you mention your monitor? is that just a magnifier or an external program rangefinder or?
My monitor is Acer X34A, there are 3 different types of viewfinder, I use the nr. 3 of the photo, it's a simple white dot in the middle of the screen.
At a distance of 20 meters the white dot represents the exact point of where the arrow will fall with a traditional curved bow, it will be 10 meters with a heavy curved bow.
It is also very useful when you have to establish the exact distance with the rangefinder binoculars, just put the white dot on the target, without white point it is sometimes difficult to frame the target perfectly in the middle.
I tried with small animals at 300 meters and it works very well. You must also have a mouse that runs slowly, I use an Asus GX1000 that allows me to set the mouse up to 50 DPI, so you can place the white point very easily.
I hope I explained well :)

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

INTIMID883R wrote:
Pretty sad when you can shoot a virtual recurve instinctively eh?

The sad part is that no one here believes it can be done with a virtual recurve. You know it can and I know it can because that is the way we shoot it.
I definitely do too. I don't think there's anything sad or strange or unbelievable about it; a "feel" for how something shoots without making exact notations of crosshairs etc is really just subconsciously noting the same exact stuff, imo. Pattern-recognition without real focus.

fantamichele, thank you for the clarification, it explains completely! I wasn't sure what you meant, but now I get it.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Fantamichele, I still don't quite get what you mean. Maybe you and I are measuring the point on differently? When I go to the RFF range and out the tip of the arrow right on what I want to hit with the normal recurve, it hits that spot at 30m. When I take the heavy recurve and do the same, it hits at 20m. Just for kicks and giggles the longbow is 40m.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Fantamichele, I still don't quite get what you mean. Maybe you and I are measuring the point on differently? When I go to the RFF range and out the tip of the arrow right on what I want to hit with the normal recurve, it hits that spot at 30m. When I take the heavy recurve and do the same, it hits at 20m. Just for kicks and giggles the longbow is 40m.
I speak of the center of the screen as a reference point. If you take the exact center of the screen, corresponding to the white point of the viewfinder, the curved arc will hit the target exactly 20 meters, the heavy curved bow at 10 meters, longbow at 20 meters and cable-backed bow at 25 meters.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

fantamichele wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Fantamichele, I still don't quite get what you mean. Maybe you and I are measuring the point on differently? When I go to the RFF range and out the tip of the arrow right on what I want to hit with the normal recurve, it hits that spot at 30m. When I take the heavy recurve and do the same, it hits at 20m. Just for kicks and giggles the longbow is 40m.
I speak of the center of the screen as a reference point. If you take the exact center of the screen, corresponding to the white point of the viewfinder, the curved arc will hit the target exactly 20 meters, the heavy curved bow at 10 meters, longbow at 20 meters and cable-backed bow at 25 meters.
Ok so you aren't using the arrow as a reference then, you're using your screen?

Return to “General Chat”