2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Bears, wolves, cougars, coyotes and InstinctiveArcher??

I really don´t want to be a deer there :D

I sure hope you will get something, keep us updated!

Can you get wolf tags in this area or are they "NoNo"?
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:Bears, wolves, cougars, coyotes and InstinctiveArcher??

I really don´t want to be a deer there :D

I sure hope you will get something, keep us updated!

Can you get wolf tags in this area or are they "NoNo"?
The deer are generally safe from me :lol:

We used to have a wolf hunt which was great since the population is way higher than it should be, but the anti-hunters started crying about it so it had to stop. I'm really hoping it picks back up again. If I have one get to close this year, a tag might be optional. :?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Seems like quite a few things went on here while I was away.
That bear cut in half caught me off guard badly. It's quite an unusual sight to look at! And that's also an interesting fallow deer.

At the moment there are quite a few things going on outdoors. The winter-wheat has just been sown after a bit of ruckus with rain and drought alike.
Now that the seeds are in the soil, the wild boar naturally all rush to dig them out again. One particular field has been suffering even worse than the others, so my dad and I universally that we had to do something.
On the 30th of September, we took to the fields, at first in the morning, which only led to me spooking several boars and seeing a fox, the evening however would bring something different.
It was 10:30 when I climbed the stand at the edge of the field. There was forest to my front and a meadow behind me. I quickly spotted a lone black dot in the distance and raised my binoculars.
Behold- it was a boar. The distance of 150m was rather long for this time of day, but I decided to take the shot from the good rest that the stand provided.
The illuminated dot soon found its' target on the shoulder of the animal. After a deep breath I pulled the trigger and as the report of the 8x57 rang out, I saw the boar drop on the spot.
I cycled the action and was ready for a follow up shot, but except for a bit of twitching, nothing happened downrange.
After unloading and inspecting my kill, my father brought up the tractor to help me get the brute back home for dressing.

The rather large male weighed in at 145lbs.

Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice pig.

Today was the opener here, and against my better judgment I went out just for the heck of it. Didn't see anything other than one as I was driving in. It still felt great just to be in the woods again. The fall colors are really starting to pop up here, and as the sun was sinking it was just catching the tips of the maples around me. They looked like they were on fire! It was awesome! Looking forward to a good season!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
officialwafflez
Hunter

Post by officialwafflez »

Let the ole bowtech eat this past weekend on a mature doe. We train bloodhounds as tracking dogs,similar to the blueticks in game. This was my new pup's first track. (wasn't very hard, ole rage broadhead cut her pretty good)
ingame name is BryanTheHunter
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Nice boar Moosehunter! Way to go!

And congrats to you wafflez. Good to hear that there are some states that allow blood tracking dogs. As far as I know that´s not a given in the USA.

Last weekend, I took a couple days off and visited a friend of mine in the bavarian alps. I do this every year and the mountains and their game species never stop to amaze me. The countryside is very different to our forests at home and the hunting sure is tough!

On the first morning we pushed a little bog with three other buddies and our two dogs. I had just about climbed my stand again after letting my dog go when he found a red hind with her calf and brought them right in front of my stand. You can see the calf in the second picture:

The next days we hunted hard, but the weather really made things tough. If the weather was good, the chamois were gone. If we had fog, we sometimes saw them in the slopes as the fog lifted for a few minutes but could not get there. Still the scenery was beautiful, topped with a lot of roaring stags.

Some far shooting required here:

We even had the first snow on monday. I did not get to see some hooved animals, but seeing a hazel grouse really made the morning pay off.

The remains of this old spruce were my stand on the last evening. There was no seat built there, so I had to arrange myself where I thought the chamois would get out on the meadow:

Sure enough a really old and mature doe came out with her fawn. I really wanted to get her, but ethics of course required shooting the fawn first. However, allthough I was using a silencer the doe vanished after the first shot on the fawn and never came back. Still I had some nice and tender meat to return home :)

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Beautiful country. Congrats on the chamois.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

@Jaegerschnitzel1990

That is sure a nice looking area....
congrats on the Chamois fawn........
The meat is probably really tender... :D
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Thanks everybody! The country is indeed beautiful, allthough I must confess I really enjoy hunting the "easy" way as well sometimes....like shooting a deer on a meadow and being able to drive next to it with your car after the end of shooting light :D

A buddy of mine shot a young red stag (3 years old) on an evening hunt there in a pretty steep slope. Three of us had to work for two and a half hours to get the carcass to some place we could drive up to.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Driven hunt season has finally arrived :D

Yesterday was the first big hunt of the season. About 80 hunters harvested 6 red deer, around 35 wild boar and some 15 roedeer.

I participated with my tree stand and climbed a fir tree in some beech trees with a lot of undergrowth.

View to the right:

View in front:

View to the left:

It was still incredibly warm for middle of octobre and the dogs had a tough day in that heat, but nontheless the hunt worked out quite well. I could not take a shot at a single red hind because of the undergrowth but this young sow passed the trail too slow ;)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”