Question about a long shot.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Question about a long shot.

Post by sircaptgordo »

I'm in a competition for the longest shot of a bison in 1 shot. I just shot a Bison and he took 1 step and the distance meter cut off his visibility. The shot was 322.34m and I'm in 3rd place. Is at it seems I can't see the Bison at a further distance except maybe by 1m maybe. There's a 403m and 346m.

I shot it with .340 and the long long range scope.

So how can I shot a Bison at 400m when by what happened I wouldn't even be able to see the Bison?

Not saying anything is wrong, I just want to be able to up my score also.

thanks
g
xOEDragonx

Re: Question about a long shot.

Post by xOEDragonx »

In this game, maximum render range (at max settings) is 320m on a flat surface. That said, there is an equation that comes into play though once you start hunting on hilly terrain. Render range increases as your elevation increases. In order to make long shots that exceed the standard 320m render range, you need to get up on high ground.

Take a look at this page on the wiki for a much more technical explanation: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Range_Shooting
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

That was my thought on the subject. I was actually elevated when I made the shot.

Ok, I got some more time, I'll get on a higher mountain ……………………………………………….

thanks
g
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

xOEDragonx wrote:Take a look at this page on the wiki for a much more technical explanation: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Range_Shooting
Thanks for the link man!
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Look at the leader's scoresheet, and click on "Map" to see where he got that elevation.

The key is finding the sweet spot on any reserve where the elevation change is the greatest at render range.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

Tod1d wrote:Look at the leader's scoresheet, and click on "Map" to see where he got that elevation.

The key is finding the sweet spot on any reserve where the elevation change is the greatest at render range.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know you could do that with the map. A guy is less than a meter ahead of me for 3rd place. Messing with these scopes is a pain. I got one 351.71mway up high by the west waterfall. It's a great spot except the scopes won't work worth a flip in that area.

I shot one at 366m and tracked him for 2 hours and he wouldn't die. I finally gave up and just shot him again to keep Doc off my rear. (You beat me too it, mod, sorry)

I'll go take a look and see if I can find his spot. I've been all over the map up high and I think the spot I got is still the best which might be where he shot his.

thanks
g

Update: I don't see a place to find a map where he shot the Bison. I clicked through the competition and his hunt page, etc. ?
Last edited by sircaptgordo on September 15th, 2018, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

sircaptgordo wrote: Update: I don't see a place to find a map where he shot the Bison. I clicked through the competition and his hunt page, etc. ?
Go to the scoresheet of the animal in question. In the lower-right corner of the screen there is a big orange button that says, "MAP". It will show where the animals was, and where the shot was taken from.
Personal Bests...
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

Fletchette wrote:
sircaptgordo wrote: Update: I don't see a place to find a map where he shot the Bison. I clicked through the competition and his hunt page, etc. ?
Go to the scoresheet of the animal in question. In the lower-right corner of the screen there is a big orange button that says, "MAP". It will show where the animals was, and where the shot was taken from.
Ok, I found out where and when. When I would click on the Bison in his stats nothing would show up, waited longer and it showed up. Didn't know that existed.………….. thanks I'm up by the waterfall, had a long shot, but just can't the scope on the target. Then he walked out of sight ……. ha. I'll go try his spot a little later.

thanks
g
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

I couldn't find how to get on top of the mountain. Guess you need the climbing gear as I got almost to the top. It says I have 40 climbing gear, guess it's on a mountain somewhere when I was playing a couple three years ago. I was never able to get up a mountain with the climbing gear, kept falling off.

I've shot 2 different Bison in the intestines and neither one would die. They would get 50% health and live another day. Guess it's just a tickle from 350m's.
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

sircaptgordo wrote:I couldn't find how to get on top of the mountain. Guess you need the climbing gear as I got almost to the top. It says I have 40 climbing gear, guess it's on a mountain somewhere when I was playing a couple three years ago. I was never able to get up a mountain with the climbing gear, kept falling off.
Climbing gear is only usable on VDB. In the images below on that particular mountain I was able to get to the top from the south east side. I had a hard time finding the way but it is there.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉

Return to “General Chat”