Satan's Beast Competition

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Faultier
Hunter

Re: Satan's Beast Competition

Post by Faultier »

got me one of those e-calllers for the lynx but the animals on my map don`t seem to like that noise-maker.
wonder if i`m doing something wrong or if thats normal behaviour but every 2nd or 3rd deer in range of the caller starts fleeing for like 20-30 meters,
and then return to normal walking speed like nothing happend. they don`t spook other animals doing this.
sometimes animals run full speed in circles for some time when they are close to the caller (deer / bobcat).
i am not experienced with hunting the kittens but they seem pretty unpredictable aswell.
some fleeing from a distance of 50 m , while i`m laid down , not moving ,with scent-eleminator and even that face paint on me , just to return 1-2 minutes later.
others walking not even 10 meters away from me for minutes while im on my knees next to them without scent-ex and they dont seem to care.
anyone noticed something like that aswell or got an idea how to prevent this from happening ? or are my animals just crazy or high on those loggers point mushrooms ? :)
what a well fitting name for this comp :lol:
Stats
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Faultier wrote:every 2nd or 3rd deer in range of the caller starts fleeing for like 20-30 meters,
and then return to normal walking speed like nothing happend.
I think this happens when a bobcat is near. The cat makes them nervous... if I'm not mistaken.
Image Image Image
Faultier
Hunter

Post by Faultier »

Tanngnjostr wrote: I think this happens when a bobcat is near. The cat makes them nervous... if I'm not mistaken.
yes , you are right, that explains the strange deer movement ... completly forgot about that :oops:
but how come the bobcats running in circles aswell ? do they scare each other (females afraid of males or something) ?
Stats
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Faultier wrote:every 2nd or 3rd deer in range of the caller starts fleeing for like 20-30 meters,
and then return to normal walking speed like nothing happend. they don`t spook other animals doing this.
Marc is correct. Bobcats do indeed spook deer, however they don't run away like they would after a gunshot. They spook about 20-30m away from the bobcat then continue on their way. If their way happens to be back in the direction of the bobcat, you'll see them spook again. You can use this knowledge to your advantage since you know the presence of a spooky deer means a bobcat is nearby. Sometimes when I'm treestand hunting for bobcats, I will call in deer and let them stay underneath my stand just because I know the deer will tell me when a bobcat is approaching...
Faultier wrote:sometimes animals run full speed in circles for some time when they are close to the caller (deer / bobcat).
I have witnessed this before and I believe it's a bug. I've only ever seen it happen twice though and both times it was a bobcat. It seems like they will run for all eternity until you do something to stop it. Usually shooting or running at the animal will make it flee like normal. I'm not sure what triggers it or why it happens but it doesn't happen often.
Faultier wrote:i am not experienced with hunting the kittens but they seem pretty unpredictable aswell.
They definitely are and this is what I like most about them. They really are unpredictable. Sometimes they won't come to the e-caller at all. Sometimes they won't come to the predator caller (it only seems to work at all if they're within 100m or so of you when you call, but even then it's not a guarantee). Sometimes they'll come to the e-caller then just... stop. They lose interest and start pouncing on invisible mice. The unpredictability sets them apart from literally every other animal in the game and I love it. As for some spooking farther out and some not spooking when they're on top of you, that could just be another part of their surprising nature. My guess however would be, like with other species, the bigger specimens tend to be spookier. Maybe the cat that spooks 50m away while you're prone with scent eliminator on might just be the big one you've been looking for!
Faultier
Hunter

Post by Faultier »

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation xOEDragonx .
That was some really helpful information, much appreciated.
I agree that their unpredictability makes it a lot more interesting than the normal: call animal, shoot, and repeat routine.
With all the tips and tricks, the road ahead is clear for me to become a better bobcat hunter. :)
And congrats to your current leaderboard position !
Stats
Spoiler:
Turboyota

Post by Turboyota »

I have a small problem. I can't submit this expedition.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/turb ... n/82016183

I get the message that I don't meet the requirement of 2 bobcats. --> "You need at least 1 male & 1 female bobcat that meet competition requirements"

Am I missing something obvious? I have a female and a male (plus one additional male) in this hunt, all one shot kills with a crossbow. I shot a whitetail that I didn't collect. Does this interfere somehow with the scoring?
It's not enough for a top position but I at least would like to submit it.
HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

Hi,

I just tried to submit an expedition for this comp and it stated that I needed, "at least 1 female and 1 male bobcat." This outing has two males and one female. It doesn't put me in the running for anything, but it would be nice to see my score on the leaderboard ;-)

Thanks for any help,
Honzo

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/honz ... n/82015866
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

HonzoChu wrote:Hi,

I just tried to submit an expedition for this comp and it stated that I needed, "at least 1 female and 1 male bobcat." This outing has two males and one female. It doesn't put me in the running for anything, but it would be nice to see my score on the leaderboard ;-)

Thanks for any help,
Honzo

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/honz ... n/82015866
You didn't use a bow/crossbow.
Spoiler:
HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

ok.... Now that I've stopped laughing at myself... "Details!, Details".. gezzzz

Thanks for the info (that I should have known... lol )
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Turboyota wrote:I have a small problem. I can't submit this expedition.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/turb ... n/82016183

I get the message that I don't meet the requirement of 2 bobcats. --> "You need at least 1 male & 1 female bobcat that meet competition requirements"

Am I missing something obvious? I have a female and a male (plus one additional male) in this hunt, all one shot kills with a crossbow. I shot a whitetail that I didn't collect. Does this interfere somehow with the scoring?
It's not enough for a top position but I at least would like to submit it.
I didn't have the RDXbow Forest Camo in the weapons database. Fixed, and on the leaderboard.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Competitions”