Fishing 2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Fishing 2018

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

The old thread is outdated so I figured I would start a new one. Post whatever you guys are catching! :)

We've been doing really well on walleye for the past week or so. The bite happens between 6:15 and 6:30 just like clockwork, and we've been trying to take advantage of it. Unfortunately with the crappy weather we've been having, the ice is starting to rot, and unless if freezes up hard again, tonight was probably our last night on the hard water.

My dad would not be thrilled if I was showing him off on the internet, so unfortunately you won't get to look at his beautiful face :lol:
Here is a walleye that he caught the other night that was 32 inches and just over 11 pounds. It took us about ten minutes to get it through the hole since it was so long that we couldn't get its head to come straight up the hole.

That was the biggest that we caught and is currently at the taxidermist. The rest averaged around 25 inches and ranged from 4-9 pounds.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Swampfox
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2018

Post by Swampfox »

That's a trophy Walleye! Congratulations to you and your father, Preston! :D
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Congrats on a great fish!

Ice fishing... Brrrrrr!!! When I lived in Minnesota I had 2 buddies that were crazy about ice fishing. One was a traditionalist. He would cut a hole with a hand auger & sit on a bucket over the hole. The other had a ice house that he would tow around the lake with his truck. He had a generator mounted on the side so it was heated & even had a TV. Ya know, I consider myself a traditionalist too but you can probably guess which buddy I did the most fishing with.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:The old thread is outdated so I figured I would start a new one. Post whatever you guys are catching! :)
That's a real nice Walleye, the kind you take home to mother............. :lol:
You know.. to put in the frying pan.
Good to see you're still catchin' a few thru the ice.
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

SoftShoe wrote:Congrats on a great fish!

Ice fishing... Brrrrrr!!! When I lived in Minnesota I had 2 buddies that were crazy about ice fishing. One was a traditionalist. He would cut a hole with a hand auger & sit on a bucket over the hole. The other had a ice house that he would tow around the lake with his truck. He had a generator mounted on the side so it was heated & even had a TV. Ya know, I consider myself a traditionalist too but you can probably guess which buddy I did the most fishing with.
A hand auger eh? That's some high tech equipment. I used a spade chipper until I won an eskimo shark at the bass lake fishing contest. Still use it if im packing light and the ice is less than 10".

Also, those are some nice 'eyes you got there IA. I wished I got out more for them this year but my car broke down and my fishing buddy was hell bent on catching sturgeon. Hopefully I can get my fill on walleyes on my trip to Ontario this summer. :D
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Ah that’s a little guy! :P LOL, just kidding bud. Glad you are getting on them. Wish I was more into ice fishing, but unless it’s a creek for slow moving Steelhead or the lower Niagara River for Lake Trout, winter is basically my time to relax, clean the reels, and restock for next season. Walleye start spawning in late March/early April here, so I’ll be on Lake Erie goin after the post-spawn Walleyes. And then it’s all good from there! I’ll be contributing to this post throughout the season, for sure.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Nice Walleye IA grats.
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Thanks guys. It froze up pretty hard last night so we tried again tonight. We were marking tons of fish on the graph, and they would chase our lures up but we only got one to bite. Fish finders are the worst. It's even more frusterating knowing that there are fish down there and they won't bite then just wondering if there are fish down there :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:It's even more frusterating knowing that there are fish down there and they won't bite then just wondering if there are fish down there
I hear that! It's like looking at your trail cam and seeing pics of monster bucks and then none come through when you are actually there hunting! :twisted:
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

Made a stop last week at a little fishing hole me and my dad know in Wisconsin to try for some catch and release trout. Managed to land 2 small brookies and had few more that popped off at the shore. First trout on a fly pole in a few years, haven't rusted out completely yet :D . Too bad with all the late snow the regular season will be off to a crappy flooding start :/

Return to “The Great Outdoors”