Opening Day!

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Seifer
Hunter

Re: Opening Day!

Post by Seifer »

Case in point. Just spotted this one.

Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
SoftShoe wrote: Lets face it, being successful in this game is a function of time & luck. Sooner or later you are going to stumble into a big one. By taking away that time all you are left with is luck & that is something every hunter rolls the dice with every time he takes to the field.

I completely disagree with this. Since it's impossible to cover SC in two hours real time, this comp favored the run and gun people. They run the map until they find the track they want to pursue, then track it to get a spot, and then make a decision. Even doing that, it comes down to luck. In three hunts (actual hunting..not running around) I spotted ONE WT that spotted above 160..(160-180..scored 162..a 14 pointer for God's sake..please EW...please change the freakin' spotting info for people who are 20/20 on a species.) That spot SHOULD have been 160-165 if EW knew what they were doing, at the best, 160-170.

Once again I would like to apologize for not making it abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal. You can expect to have this very same rule on future comps of mine (with the exception of the upcoming memorial hunt).
And again it's misleading..it should say, "abundantly clear that you were only allowed to take one animal PER HUNT/ATTEMPT. The above ssentence, to me, suggests that I can only take ONE, period. Hosts have to consider those who use Google translate and other means to know the rules, if English is not their first language.

I'm sorry for being critical, SS. There were lots of confusions after this comp started, and I'm just addressing some of mine. I just want a level playing field. I shot 2 WT in my first hunt, and then found out it wouldn't have counted if one of them was a score that might not be so embarrassing. My second, after I knew the rule, produced a paltry 162, and my third ended without taking a shot.
I had 3 harvests for my first hunt. Had a nice 174, that I couldn't use because I too wasn't clear on the one animal only rule. It is what it is tho'. Next time we'll all pay more attention to the "Rules", I'll be readin' them thrice. Congrats to the winners once again! Glad to see the vigilant eyes of JackRbbt caught a math mistake. WTG Jack! ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

stancomputerhunter wrote: Hosts have to consider those who use Google translate and other means to know the rules, if English is not their first language.
Now this is just my opinion but no sir they dont. This is an English speaking forum, individuals that post in their native tongue are reminded of that. It is not incumbent on the host to ensure non native English speakers can understand the rules. It is the onus of the individual to make sure he understands the rules. If he doesnt then he is free to ask questions for clarification.
If I am driving in a foreign country & violate a rule of the road should I not get a ticket because I didn't understand the sign?

In this case one of the rules was part of the narrative. If you decided to gloss over it well then I am sorry. I made the OP ONE in bold so it would be noticed & yet still some people ignored it.

Finally...
SoftShoe wrote:Questions?
If you have any questions regarding the comp, please feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Errors and Bugs
If you find any errors in this thread (Typos, missing or misleading information) please PM me!
Not everyone shot multiple deer with their 1st hunt so there are some fortunate souls out there who read the whole post & understood the rules of the hunt. I did not get one person asking about shooting multiple deer. That tells me what happened was those that read the post caught it & understood the requirement. Others glossed over it & did what they thought they should do. The latter paid the price by having their hunts refused.

JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Well, it's not something carved in stone, Stan!

Sometimes weight and score "matches": https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/Jack ... /566724957
Sometimes they does not: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jack ... /567285232
Spoiler:

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

SoftShoe wrote:In this case one of the rules was part of the narrative. If you decided to gloss over it well then I am sorry. I made the OP ONE in bold so it would be noticed & yet still some people ignored it.
I did not ignore it . It was a very nice opening story, but just didn't catch my eye. Perhaps , in the future , instead of putting one word in bold in the story , put the whole rule in bold in the ROE .
SoftShoe wrote:Not everyone shot multiple deer with their 1st hunt so there are some fortunate souls out there who read the whole post & understood the rules of the hunt. I did not get one person asking about shooting multiple deer. That tells me what happened was those that read the post caught it & understood the requirement. Others glossed over it & did what they thought they should do. The latter paid the price by having their hunts refused.
Not everyone started at the buzzer either . So maybe , just maybe some had time to read what was going on and saved them their first attempt . ;)
I read the whole post . I did not glossed over it . I just didn't catch it .

What i've learn a bit more and will try to do in the future :
- Not to start right at the buzzer , because i'm excited about competing .
- Will read more and more the ROE. Not that i do not read them , hell , i even have a book for all comps and even write some stuff on my PC !!
- Other than that , may all of us learn from this .

thx again Softshoe .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

JackRbbt wrote:Well, it's not something carved in stone, Stan!

Sometimes weight and score "matches": https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/Jack ... /566724957
Sometimes they does not: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jack ... /567285232
You mis-understood. I said the high end on the spot had to be 95, not the final weight result. Both of your examples had to have spotted 80-95.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

From someone with spotting level 20 i would expect to know that for a 90+ kg. whitetail spotting always is "90-100 kg.". About the second one, i have solid proof: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p896751. So, you were wrong for both! ;)
Spoiler:

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

:arrow: DYEUZ- Yeah, I agree with what you say, about "You have your license & tag for ONE antlered deer". This didn't read for me the way it was meant. To me it meant I could only submit one deer out of the lot I was able to harvest in the allotted time I had. Now, if that phrase was in the ROE with emphasis on "ONE Wt Deer only" can be harvested. I would have understood more clear what the requirement was. When I participate in a comp, it is the "ROE" that I follow, not a phrase in some story. But, indeed a learning experience from both sides, the host and the competitors that didn't catch that requirement of the comp, from the lil' story told. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

SoftShoe wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote: Hosts have to consider those who use Google translate and other means to know the rules, if English is not their first language.
Now this is just my opinion but no sir they dont. This is an English speaking forum, individuals that post in their native tongue are reminded of that. It is not incumbent on the host to ensure non native English speakers can understand the rules. It is the onus of the individual to make sure he understands the rules. If he doesnt then he is free to ask questions for clarification.
If I am driving in a foreign country & violate a rule of the road should I not get a ticket because I didn't understand the sign?

In this case one of the rules was part of the narrative. If you decided to gloss over it well then I am sorry. I made the OP ONE in bold so it would be noticed & yet still some people ignored it.

Finally...
SoftShoe wrote:Questions?
If you have any questions regarding the comp, please feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Errors and Bugs
If you find any errors in this thread (Typos, missing or misleading information) please PM me!
Not everyone shot multiple deer with their 1st hunt so there are some fortunate souls out there who read the whole post & understood the rules of the hunt. I did not get one person asking about shooting multiple deer. That tells me what happened was those that read the post caught it & understood the requirement. Others glossed over it & did what they thought they should do. The latter paid the price by having their hunts refused.
I wouldn't be too harsh in defending your rules/the way they're worded, I don't see anyone going crazy/mad over anything, and Stan doesn't count lol. Besides, the player-comp community/UHC is still in learning mode. Had I not waited a day to start your comp(as I usually do, to help avoid the early pitfalls that occur in just about every comp), I too would be among those with at least one DQ hunt due to over-harvesting. I didn't gloss over or ignore anything, I read the comp announcement/RoE several times, and I am english-speaking.

But it's all good, just like my UHC calendar issue. Was correct information available to me in order to fully understand the start/end times? Yep, but I chose to look at the calendar as a quick reference, and I had forgotten it doesn't use localized time so it's my bad. But I learned a lesson, and UHC has graciously announced that they were/are already working on making it better, so yay. And to top it off, SoftShoe has already announced he's planning on re-visiting this comp/style, so even more yay! :)

I imagine it's pretty easy for comp hosts/RoE writers to say everything is well-worded and clear to understand in their RoE, but there will always be misunderstandings and misinterpretations by those reading it because we're all different and see things differently. Perhaps the Community Competition Template(https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=81684) should be looked at again in order to adjust or add anything that has come to light/been a point of contention since its creation? Who knows, maybe some simple re-wording or more tips can be added to help prevent some of the more common pitfalls that have been experienced so far? Perhaps a good start might be a new thread with template suggestions from the community, in the effort to help make future comp RoE's clearer? This is just a suggestion, and I've yet to host/create a comp, but I gladly offer UHC any assistance I can provide with updating/editing the final template.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: J_Birdman ... I am glad to see that the posts before you started the comp, about us being caught in confusion, helped you not to waste your first attempts . Thx for your honesty .
Maybe others also benefited with these posts .

I do not pretend to have all the right answers and the best blueprint out there , but i wouldn't mind a bit , if some host would use the same pattern that i use. Past comps of mine have been with no Qs or so few Qs that it give the host time to breathe and relax . Its been very successful so far and stress free for participants and me .
A little longer to write at first , but very effective .For future comps , a copy and paste with some editing is very simple / fast and still will have same important ROE .

tyvm

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “Competitions”