Question about weapon class in COTW

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Re: Question about weapon class in COTW

Post by xAncalagonx »

chewik wrote:
xAncalagonx wrote:So basically it doesn't matter how SMALL the gun is, e.g. using a Class 1 gun vs Class 3 animal is fine. It ONLY matters how BIG the gun is, e.g. shooting Class 1 animal (like Redfox) with a Class 4 weapon (like the .338 big game rifle) would automatically ruin integrity bonus.
not exactly. small gun doesn't ruin integrity bonus, but is usually weak to kill animal instantly, so it will ruin bleeding time bonus.
Well, thanks to the help from you guys I just got my first moose kill using the 60lbs bow with 450gr arrows.

Gold Moose :)

chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

nice moose. YOu need to find moose with difficulty 5, to get diamond trophy ;) and for the best results, go for spine shots, they provide instant kills.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

Thanks.

I never really go for spine shots. I know some people only go for neck and spine shots, but ever since I started on Classic I always went for lungs and/or heart shots.

So when this moose showed up I went for the heart shot, and thankfully having shot plenty of moose in Classic I had a good idea of where to place the shot and was duly rewarded for it :D

I find neck/spine shots to be much more risky. A little bit off and it's only a fleshwound and consequently 30 minutes or more of tracking to be done. At least with lung/heart even if you miss the heart you get a lung and have an easier time tracking them down.

Anyways, quite enjoying COTW now that I better understand how the weapon system works.
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

xAncalagonx wrote:but ever since I started on Classic I always went for lungs and/or heart shots
this not ThC :) in classic, lungs/heart is the primary target, but trust me, in CoTW the spine shot is the best place to get all harvest value bonuses ;)
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

It basically means that there is no adequate arrow/bolt for moose and forest bison. To gain max xp for a kill you need to also kill the animal quickly. Therefore most players use a spine shot above the chest to drop larger animals quickly. This is quite unfortunate as a double lung shot is considered the perfect real world hit. But in the game, this often leads to a reduction in the quick kill bonus.
Code: Select all
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

nachthexe wrote:It basically means that there is no adequate arrow/bolt for moose and forest bison. To gain max xp for a kill you need to also kill the animal quickly. Therefore most players use a spine shot above the chest to drop larger animals quickly. This is quite unfortunate as a double lung shot is considered the perfect real world hit. But in the game, this often leads to a reduction in the quick kill bonus.
Quick Kill bonus shouldn't start to get reduced then unless animal lives more than X seconds after being hit.

Yesterday I shot a moose from 20m with the 30-30, using Hollow-Point bullets and hit it in the heart... it still ran about 50-75m away before it dropped.

How any animal can run at all after taking the shock/expansion of a hollow point bullet to the heart is beyond me.

I think the COTW guys need to re-evaluate the effectiveness of the most lethal shots, e.g. double-lung and heart shots.

Taking a hollow point to the heart and being able to still run is, in my book, the equivalent of taking a hollow-point to the brain and still be able to "live" for and run 50-75m away.

Made no sense.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Yesterday I shot a European Bison with .270 bullet the thing ran for almost 300mts, the first blood splat says "vital hit" the instant kill bonus drop to 25% when harvest the info says "SPINE/LUNG" so yes, the game need a re-evalution of effectiveness of lethal shot/ammo penetration/damage.

Also the d.. n Beaver bug is replicated from The Hunter Classic, all ready experiment 5 times this error yesterday again and your tent is sent to your inventory and if you have a GB around 50mts also is removed.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

mapache01 wrote:Yesterday I shot a European Bison with .270 bullet the thing ran for almost 300mts, the first blood splat says "vital hit" the instant kill bonus drop to 25% when harvest the info says "SPINE/LUNG" so yes, the game need a re-evalution of effectiveness of lethal shot/ammo penetration/damage.

Also the d.. n Beaver bug is replicated from The Hunter Classic, all ready experiment 5 times this error yesterday again and your tent is sent to your inventory and if you have a GB around 50mts also is removed.
.270 is not really a Bison weapon.
Code: Select all
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Well i'm still on .243 and .270, need more money to buy the 7mm and others, also need to unlock some other scopes, I bought the game to support EW but really not play much until past week, still familiarizing with the game; wish some told me before not to spend money on building towers.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

mapache01 wrote:Well i'm still on .243 and .270, need more money to buy the 7mm and others, also need to unlock some other scopes, I bought the game to support EW but really not play much until past week, still familiarizing with the game; wish some told me before not to spend money on building towers.
I find the 60lbs bow with 420gr arrows to be a nice money maker.

It generally drops any deer instantly and if you use the deer caller immediately afterwards the rest of the deer will turn and come back.

I kept doing this with a group of whitetails on Layton and same with Fallow Deer on Hirschfelden and I was getting 500-700 bucks per kill in just a matter of minutes.

I tried to drop a white tail using the shotgun with buckshot though... it was a perfect broadside shot at the lungs from 15m and the deer ran away from it. If I had used a bow it would have been instant-drop.

I'm honestly surprised how bad the firearms are compared to the bow. A full blast with buckshot at 15m on broadside should have slammed that deer to the ground.

Tried using a .357 yesterday... had to shoot a whitetail deer 3 times from 25m to kill it.

Why are all the firearms so weak? o.O

Now I rely almost exclusively on the bow and the only rifle I use is the 22LR for popping bunnies. The other rifles are just too unreliable for me to bother with them.

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”