2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by Raptor02 »

Thanks. The AR15 is so much fun to predator hunt with. Perfect for all sizes of varmint around here. Plus we hunt at night mainly so there’s a bunch of room to mount all different lights. Especially if we’re running the IR scopes with extra IR lights. The scope that’s on the top rifle is the one I hunt with if it’s going to light out when I’m out. It’s a Nikon 4-12x40 with a BDC reticle. Got the first dog of the year last night. The pack was challenging us from 300yds but wouldn’t come closer. This guy must have been a scout. Image
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Nice!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Great! Come up here and shoot all that you want! We really need a bounty on them.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

That looks like a nice coyote!
I just remembered that I still have to type up my story from saturday. (It's very detailed :P)
Spoiler:
Initially, I had the idea to get up around 7:30 AM and do a little walk around the property, since my dad had recently seen boar in the forest during broad daylight.
It being the weekend and having stayed up too late, I only woke up at 8:20 and figured that it'd still be worth it if I got out of the house quickly.
So I quickly gathered all my stuff, taking the Blaser 750/88 Bergstutzen chambered for 9,3x74R and .222 Rem. as armanent. I thought that 9,3x74R would do the job, if I had to shoot one on the run.
Also, in Germany we say "Fuchs kann immer kommen" which translates roughly to "There's always the possibility of a fox wandering about", so the .222 barrel was a nice addition.
Finally being finished with my preparations, I left the house together with my (not so) trusted Dachshund Polly.
Wandering through the snowy winter forest, I heard several cracks and noises in the undergrowth, but not a single boar showed itsself.
Having left the area in which the boars usually bed, I had almost given up on my hopes until, a little further down the road I suddenly registered movement to my left.
I took a closer look and, what do you know, there's a fox around 40 meters away. My companion, of course, didn't notice it.
Having missed my chance on a close shot at a fallow deer last November, I remembered to identify my target through the scope.
After having confirmed that the animal was indeed a fox, I lined up the 4-12x Schmidt and Bender's unilluminated reticle up behind the shoulder blade.
I assured myself, that my finger was indeed in front of the second trigger, wanting to avoid an unnessary slap to the face by the 9,3 and slowly put more weight into my pull.
The shot broke crisp and clear in the morning forest and I saw the fox flee out of my line of sight. My dog, finally having seen it, bolted right after it.
Arriving at the point where it stood when I fired at it, I thankfully spotted the downed fox about 20 meters away.
I quickly called up my dad to ask him for help (and a plastic sack) and told him my location.
Waiting for him to arrive, I had to use my hand and feet to keep the dog from taking a slurp of fox and, in turn, infecting itsself with a multitude of different diseases and parasites.
Upon my dad arriving, we put it in a sack, he congratulated me on the kill and the fox made it's way into the freezer. And we were home by lunchtime.
We, however, forgot to take a picture in all that hurry, so you'll have to take my word.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Very nice boar and Fox, Moosehunter!
How's the geco plus working for you? I've switched to it in my 8x57IS since I wasn't too happy with the Sellier&Bellot Spitzer 196grs. It simply shot all over the place out of my gun. Before I shot the Geco Softpoint, which was simply a bit too simple a bullet for me. Got some core-mantle separations and rather wide spread ranging from basically no damage to utter chaos through the wound channel.

And raptor: having a gun for each arm? Or you're simply packing 2 long arms and a pistol when you're out - the hunter style?
Nice AR's in any case!
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

The Geco Plus is doing pretty well IMO. The boars both had a shot behind the shoulder blade with no bones hit.
That's why they didn't drop right on the spot. The next one'll get the shot right on the shoulder.
As for accuracy I cannot complain. Heym barrels seem to do very good with Geco ammunition.
A very precise bullet I can recommend is the RWS H-Mantle. They say it makes every barrel group tightly.
There was practically no damage to the meat whatsoever except for some jellied blood below the shoulder around the exit.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

MooseHunter330 wrote: A very precise bullet I can recommend is the RWS H-Mantle.
I've shot that for a while out of my 7x65R. I found it way too aggressive and explosive for my taste -at least at the speeds of that caliber.
Might be that it's a different story with slower cartridges.
In that gun, I am shooting now -or actually since years- the RWS TIG (now renamed to ID classic) and that works like a charm. Precise, quick initiation on small animals like a weak roe, plenty of penetration even for heavy boars and moderate damage. Couldn't be better.
I've meanwhile probably taken close to a three digit number of beasts with it and it hasn't let me down since. (If, then it was me doing the letting down ;) ).
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Thanks guys. That was really big healthy coyote. And congrats on another fox moosehunter. Fox season ended a couple days ago here.

Yeah Knut. I wish I could carry all my weapons Hunter style. That would be pretty great. Haha. The all black AR is my buddy’s. I usually carry the AR or my .22mag or 10/22. I’ve just about always got my Glock 43 on my side but that’s not really for hunting. That same friend that was with me on the coon hunt uses a VTR-SS in .223 or sometimes he uses his .17 Winchester super mag. He spends much more money on rifles than I do. He just picked up a .308 browning X-bolt hells canyon speed. Great looking and feeling rifle.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Sorry to bring sad news but yesterday we lost a great friend and great hunting buddy. One of the most ambitious hunters I know. We lost him to a stupid accident while hunting. We don’t know exactly what happened, but he shot a coyote and while approaching it with his side arm in his hand something went wrong and he died of an accidental discharge. Never made it to 40 years old. Everyone, please stay safe out there. Rest In Peace Sean!

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Sad news indeed. Really sorry for your loss Raptor.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”