Spawn mashing solutions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Spawn mashing solutions

Post by RidgeBack69 »

This post pertains to only community sponsored competitions.
I feel that the rules are already in place to prevent this but what is needed a hard definition of spawn mashing.

Once this definition is agreed upon then the rules that UHC and comp hosts have in place need only to be enforced. The enforcement has to be absolute there can be no gray areas or excuses.

It is the competitor’s responsibility to know and understand the rules not the host’s or UHC to decide if they understood them. They only should be responsible for enforcing the rule.

I know it can be difficult to have to Disqualify Player but unless a hard line approach is taken then the same problem will keep showing itself.

Looking forward to see others solutions.
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Spawn mashing solutions

Post by SoftShoe »

I don't think there is a good solution. Even having a minimum hunt time is pointless, they will spawn mash until they get a trophy & then just let the timer run until the minimum time is met.

In light of this I am in favor of having a limited number of hunts. If we went that route though we would need to be more judicious in what game is in the comp. IMO It would be necessary to pick species that are not in the same reserves so as to not unduly impinge on the hunt times of others. For example, In the current comp if I hunt LP I would be getting a mark against Whitetail & Rabbit. Or RFF it would be against Elk, Moose & Whitetail. If you are prudent while hunting them you are carrying a 2nd weapon that can harvest the other species but you are most likely focusing on one. I think we would need to spread out the species more or limit the number of species.

The unfortunate reality is there will be no good solution, it will always be a compromise. People being people there are always those that will look for some sort of exploit believing winning is more important then the spirit of the game.

FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Why not add a "checkbox" when registering that confirms that the player understood the rules and that he undertakes to respect them ?
This eliminates any ambiguity and further discussion.
Last edited by FR_Bugs on February 27th, 2018, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

SoftShoe wrote:I don't think there is a good solution. Even having a minimum hunt time is pointless, they will spawn mash until they get a trophy & then just let the timer run until the minimum time is met.
Well here is the thing. You could make a minimum hunt time on ALL hunts that take place between the competition dates. The problem with that though is that sometimes people's computer freezes and then you just violated the rule. Or if they lose internet connection. You could make it a 3 strikes and your out rule but what about if someone's computer loses connection or shuts down or the game server crashes etc.. three times between the 10 days? Regardless I agree with what RB is trying to say, the way it is now there is not a hard and fast rule in place and it makes it difficult for all the contestants and the hosts.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

SoftShoe wrote:I don't think there is a good solution. Even having a minimum hunt time is pointless, they will spawn mash until they get a trophy & then just let the timer run until the minimum time is met.

In light of this I am in favor of having a limited number of hunts. If we went that route though we would need to be more judicious in what game is in the comp. IMO It would be necessary to pick species that are not in the same reserves so as to not unduly impinge on the hunt times of others. For example, In the current comp if I hunt LP I would be getting a mark against Whitetail & Rabbit. Or RFF it would be against Elk, Moose & Whitetail. If you are prudent while hunting them you are carrying a 2nd weapon that can harvest the other species but you are most likely focusing on one. I think we would need to spread out the species more or limit the number of species.

The unfortunate reality is there will be no good solution, it will always be a compromise. People being people there are always those that will look for some sort of exploit believing winning is more important then the spirit of the game.
I can agree that limiting the number of hunts can be a hindrance. But I disagree that there is no solution there is always a solution it is just a matter of what else will it effect.
Last edited by RidgeBack69 on February 27th, 2018, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

FR_Bugs wrote:Why not add a "checkbox" when registering that confirms that the player understood the rules and that he undertakes to respect them.
This is a GREAT idea as well!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

FR_Bugs wrote:Why not add a "checkbox" when registering that confirms that the player understood the rules and that he undertakes to respect them ?
This Idea has promise.
But the rule still requires a defination.
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

RidgeBack69 wrote:
FR_Bugs wrote:Why not add a "checkbox" when registering that confirms that the player understood the rules and that he undertakes to respect them ?
This Idea has promise.
Isn't the definition already there? Hunts must last a minimum of a half hour. However you will still have the issues come up of well I lost internet connection, or well my computer shut off. Then the host still has to make those hard decisions. I think maybe a 3 strikes rule is best, and the most fair. It gives room for a couple of internet connection losses yet it is still not enough to help out the contestants that much. ;)
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

RidgeBack69 wrote:This Idea has promise.
You are certainly right but, for my own, if you are able to understand this :

Prizes
1st place: 1500 em$ for each player of the team
2nd place: 1000 em$ for each player of the team
3rd place: 500 em$ for each player of the team

I think that you are able to understand this : Hunts must be at least 30 minutes real time (1 game hour).

;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Well there is a solution but not one that would be equitable to everyone. As Walt said, stuff happens. Would you be OK with a trophy not counting because of a crash shortly after you harvested it? Personally I would because the rules are the rules but I am probably the minority in this.

A hard line approach would probably needed but by its very nature it would not be inclusive which these sort of events strive for. So where is the line between exclusive & inclusive?

Return to “Competitions”