.405 Lever Action Rifle

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
strandjutter
Scout

Re: .405 Lever Action Rifle

Post by strandjutter »

love the .405 as it is without scope .
Maybe in the future ad a simple scope just for those spoiled hunters who can't hunt without a scope.
You can always choose to not mount the scope !

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

TreeKiwi wrote:Ok unless people still want the photos, here are clips taken from yesterdays stream, which should better demonstrate the sites at ranges. Granted the WB is not that far, about 100m. But you can see how much of it fills the sites and then the second clip is me shooting the Sambar at 173m (from memory) . Which if I can hit a Sambar at that range, A WB should be no worries.

https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintSeductive ... rammarKing
WB
https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningCarelessDragonMingLee
Sambar

Thoughts?

TK
Nice!

The proof is as they say in the pudding. :lol:

Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Just used the .405 last night. Very nice, dropped everything I shot with it so far (Moose & Black Bear). I did drop a Male moose from 151m @ 100% harvest value. Iron sights aren't too bad. Thought it sounded kinda muffled though when compared to my .300 composite. I love my .300, all the sounds it makes are so crisp and clean from chambering a round and the thunder clap loudness when you fire a round. Overall, love the .405. Always did like a lever action. The animation is nice too seeing those fat cartridges being loaded into the rifle :)
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Seifer wrote: Thought it sounded kinda muffled though when compared to my .300 composite.
FWIW I dont think the sound is probably far off what it would really sound like. While I dont own a 405 I do have several other big bores. Even though the crack of super sonic flight is heard it is largely mitigated by the resounding BOOM made by the expanding gasses.

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

seen a few were saying its no good for long distance. just took first longish shot with it on a bison at 200m killed it. 198.8m.that was first try.so its more than fine just need to concentrate and hit the target in the correct area.300m shots should be fine.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

From what I can see of the periscope sight is that aiming at the smaller Sambar deer at a further distance in the jungle foliage is quite a give me shot,...
as heart shots will prove if that is where you're aiming at with the obscure distance.
This is a big game gun made for big animals and relatively closer ranges, although I'm sure if an open shot presents itself that it can take down deer with
ease with the big bullet even without hitting vital organs at longer distances, because that is optimum velocity for a big bullet to work properly without shattering and also that is what causes trauma & shock.
Now that fills one requisite of the hunt if your going for Cattle & Sambar, and a medium caliber for the Rusa must still be carried, but nothing has change for that factor,
and so we now have a good 1895 model Win. lever action 405 caliber open sights weapon, and I hear it works great on Lions also.............
So where are they?.................. :lol:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Here you go Gas >>>>>

Canadian Folk Spiritual.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

JimboCrow wrote:Here you go Gas >>>>>

Canadian Folk Spiritual.
Good relaxing song Jimbo,....
I guess I'm not the only one.......... :)
atc86
Tracker

Post by atc86 »

Loving the .405 so far.

Been using it the last few days to take down some buffalo and moose. Nicely modelled and nice sound :)

Great for close range >100m it will drop anything in it's path and very good for fast follow up shots on secondary targets. Also very good for long distance shots! Around 175-200m is the furthest I'd shoot this weapon and is a little more challenging at that range but can still double lung a buffalo :D

Iron sights are ok, clear enough. Not as clear as the .340 but I think it's a good balance with the slightly more restricted sights given the fast unload rate compared to the .340

I think this will be my go to weapon for piccabeen bay and maybe even for moose hunting when I forget my bow ;)
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

JimboCrow wrote:Here you go Gas >>>>>

Canadian Folk Spiritual.
I am a guitarist and I love !! long live Canada! ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)

Return to “General Chat”