Shotgun for sale CHEAP!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Shotgun for sale CHEAP!

Post by SoftShoe »

Well I think I would probably sell it if I could...

While a pretty fair shotgunner in RL (90+ on a clays course), I am absolutely awful in this game! I think I just can't seem to get my swing right. I am pretty fair at hitting rabbit on the run but a pheasant on the wing is another matter entirely! Last night I burned off at least a box of 16ga ammo with nairy a bird to show for it.

Part of my problem is I wont game the game. Meaning I dont spot them, move into position & whistle for the perfect shot. Sure there are those that do it in RL but I am not one of them. I hunt pheasant in game like I do in RL. I walk through the fields as my dog runs around & flushes them. Its allot of fun in RL & I think it would be allot of fun in game if I could only hit something.

Another part of my problem I believe is my using the 16ga for this task. The time it takes to shoulder & get the hammers back is abysmal! I own a Remington 1889 SxS with exposed hammers I use for doves. As any hunter using such a gun will tell you, you carry at port arms with your thumbs resting over both hammers. When shouldering, your thumb pulls back both hammers at the same time in one smooth motion. It is almost as fast to get into action as a hammerless gun.
Lastly I think the actual gauge is part of the issue. I have no trouble plucking geese out of the air with my 10ga. Does the 16ga have a significantly shorter range?

Any pointers/suggestions for a down on his luck wannabe 16ga shotgunner?

TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shotgun for sale CHEAP!

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey mate,

Biggest thing for me in this game that I learnt is pretty much don't lead the birds. Especially not as much as you do in real life. Like the bead width forward of the bird is pretty much the max. Unless its super far. But yeah just aim straight on them pretty much :)
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

The other thing that works very well for me, even though it may not be completely real life realistic is wait till they flatten on the ground, and then run around in front of them and whistle. With practice you will know exactly how far away you should be so that they glide there way to the ground. It is one of the easiest ways to shoot them imho.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

TK has a good point, I don't lead birds in this game quite as much as I do in real life. Unless I'm taking (probably unrealistically) long shots.

The best piece of advice I could give for practicing in-game in to practice on geese. Of all the birds, they're the biggest and the slowest. Not only is shooting them a confidence boost if you're having trouble hitting the smaller/faster birds, but they're also great practice for learning distance shooting. If the bird is "close," and I mean within 30m of you, just aim dead center on the bird. If it's more like 30-50m aim at the head or a hair in front of it but still aiming at the edge of the animal. 50-75m shots are fairly unsuccessful for me unless the bird was already hit once but taking some slightly leading shots at it may prove successful. It's also worth noting until you have that leading practice down, shooting birds that are flying straight at you or straight away from you are the easiest to hit since you only have to guess how high to aim and not how far left or right to swing. With geese especially, it's easy to get them coming in or flying away in a straight line.

Pheasant are also easy hunting because they're bigger targets, but they are a bit more unpredictable than geese. You never know exactly how close you need to be to flush them and even though you can control the angle they flush at (approach them from their tail and they will fly straight away, approach from 90 degree angle and they will fly perpendicular to you, etc) it can still catch you off guard just enough to throw off your shot. When you have birds coming in or you know you're about to step on a pheasant, you should already have your gun at the shoulder or your finger ready to mash that button the second before your shot presents itself.

What I don't recommend for you at your current stage is duck or ptarmigan hunting. These targets are both significantly smaller and a good bit faster moving than geese or pheasant. Save them for when you have more in-game practice under you belt. There is also a clay target shooting range in ?Logger's Point? I believe? You can try practicing there as well, although the concept is the same, smaller and faster targets. I recommend sticking with the bigger and slower birds until you really get the feel for it. You could be a professional clay shooter in real life, but there is still a bit of a learning curve with how to shoot just right in a videogame. As with real life, practice enough, and you'll start to figure it out.

If you'd like any help/advice in-game or would like a private goose/duck hunt and don't have the gear for it, I would gladly open my maps for you to practice on or take you for a bird hunt.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Not leading the shot is good advice.
Since it's hard to keep the iron sights exactly on the small birds aim slightly lower than the bird, sligthly higher is usually a miss.
Also check your mouse sensitivity in the in game options if it's to small it's almost impossible to hit the birds. Also check for lag, if you use steam this is easy.
The 16ga should work for shots under 30m. Sometimes a shot 20m-30m will not kill a bird, but that is rare. Over 30m usually it's not going to kill the bird.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

So DONT lead? Well that puts a whole new spin on things... Last night I had a bird fly broadside to me about 20yds away. I applied the usual 18in of lead that should have crumpled him. 2 shots later he flew on unruffled. Also explains my success with geese. They moving allot slower so I dont lead them very much. The larger shot column of the 10ga no doubt helps as well.

I cant wait to get home tonight & give this a shot (pun intended).

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

SoftShoe wrote:So DONT lead? Well that puts a whole new spin on things... Last night I had a bird fly broadside to me about 20yds away. I applied the usual 18in of lead that should have crumpled him. 2 shots later he flew on unruffled. Also explains my success with geese. They moving allot slower so I dont lead them very much. The larger shot column of the 10ga no doubt helps as well.

I cant wait to get home tonight & give this a shot (pun intended).
I would say don't lead until they're really far. If you led a bird flying broadside to you at 20 yards by 18 inches in this game... then it was probably a definite miss. At that distance and even a good bit farther, you can aim dead on and kill them. It's only when they're already far and getting farther that the "leading" comes in to play and even then, the lead shouldn't be by much.

Now if you ever start hunting with the .22 rifles, that's a whole other story with where to aim once they get 50m+ from you XD
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hey,

Not to lead them is a good tip, but I would also suggest not to use the 16 Gauge. Got it kind of accidently, and I'm absolutely not satisfied with it. Kinda lacks power and range, and has a bad field of view. I'd recommend to check out the Blaser O/U Shotguns in 12G. These pieces are awesome. Got decent range and the best aiming of all the shotguns in the game. I just hat a look at my lifetimestats, for some reason my results are bad with 16 Gauge. Got less than 50% accuracy and about 50% killed of what I hit. Almost 75% accuracy with the Blaser, with 88% mortality.

With pheasants I try to get right behind them before flushing. So they fly up and away almost straight away from me. Much easier to hit'em then.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Thanks for the tips guys!

@ xOEDragonx: Thanks, I would love to hunt with you some time!

@ Gewehrwolf: I am an old soul so gravitated to the 16ga. I like SxS & the exposed hammers cinched it. I own a number of OO's in RL but you just cant beat the swing of a fine double. That said I have a Ruger Red Label in 28ga that is the finest upland bird gun I have ever used!
In any case I suspected the 16ga held some blame. I may just buy the Blaser but having a penchant for SxS how does the 12ga SxS stack up?

Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

The 12ga SxS are nice, too. But don't have the awesome field of view and sights of the blaser.
μολών λαβέ

Return to “General Chat”