Horses of courses

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Horses of courses

Post by SoftShoe »

I searched the forum & was surprised I did not see this recommendation. We need horses of courses...

Its no surprise motorized vehicles are persona non grata. I could well see some nitwit tearing around a MP hunt ruining it for everyone. But what about horses?

From a balance standpoint make their walking speed the same as a persons running speed while the sound being made is the same as a person walking. The horses run speed could be 1/2 that of an ATV say 25kph & sound detection the same as that of someone running. You would not be able to shoot while mounted.

To monetize the horses 1st off make them expensive (2-3000em$) to own as well as maintain. Require horse feed to use them (think camping supplies for fast travel) & trainable (carrots/sugar cubes) to stay & come when called.

I think this is a tremendous opportunity for the devs & the community.

One of my fondest hunting memories is hunting elk from horseback in Wyoming.

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Horses of courses

Post by Tod1d »

Interesting. I just did a search on "horse" only in the Suggestions forums, and it turned up 41 pages of results. (http://forum.thehunter.com/search.php?k ... mit=Search)

While I think it would add a really cool dynamic to hunting in-game, and I would really enjoy horse-back hunting IRL...

The largest reserve we have is only about 6km across. At 25kph, you'd be all the way across in 15 minutes.
These reserves are pretty much set up for "day hunts." I tend to think of horseback hunting for situations when you need to travel a long distance, and usually spending at least several days out on a hunt.

I'd worry that they could be exploited as another way to cover an unrealistic amount of ground in a short time. 8 tents per reserve is already a bit extreme for this small of an area.
They could also be used to drive a number of animals to a known area where they would essentially be trapped, and could be harvested like fish in a barrel.

If the reserves were quite a bit larger, for example an entire continent on the game map, then I think it would be a really nice feature.

Be Well
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Tod1d wrote:Interesting. I just did a search on "horse" only in the Suggestions forums, and it turned up 41 pages of results. (http://forum.thehunter.com/search.php?k ... mit=Search)
Indeed as did I. I even looked at the threads (well 3 pages of them anyway) & horses were only mentioned in passing, not as an actual suggestion.
Tod1d wrote: I'd worry that they could be exploited as another way to cover an unrealistic amount of ground in a short time. 8 tents per reserve is already a bit extreme for this small of an area.
They could also be used to drive a number of animals to a known area where they would essentially be trapped, and could be harvested like fish in a barrel.
I had not considered them being exploited; point well taken.

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

While the word "Horse" isn't mentioned in too many topic titles, many of the "In Passing" comments are actually suggestions for horses, and commentary on said suggestions.
Start at the back of the list & look at the topics with titles like "ATVs, Travel time, Vehicles, etc..."
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

It has been suggested for a long time, but i remember that one reason(i may be wrong) given to not add horses has to do with complications with the engine and movements, i mean think about it, our "avatar" cant even jump, barely cross shallow waters, let alone swim, and can get blocked by a lot of small obstacles, probably a horse would have too many implementation problems due the diferent kind of reserves and topography. That said i would like to see horses implemented, they could carry equipment like the dogs and give a new perspective to travel in the reserves.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

I think it's better use case for horses in this game. If we'd see African reserve in the future, there could be some zebras and burros. ;)

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
007aln
Spotter

Post by 007aln »

I would love a horse but I agree it would make the reserves a lot smaller and the mechanics of jumping etc. would be difficult to do right.

If we were to get a giant reserve for which to use a horse, I would want it to be a realistic horse. It would have to be able to gallop (40 kph) and I'd like to be able to shoot animals off it, even if they were disqualified.

What about a donkey? Donkeys are not big on running. They mainly walk, trot for a bit and might canter for a short distance but nothing like a horse. A big mammoth jack donkey could carry rider and lots of gear.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

With the tent set-ups I think the need for horse travel will be unlikely, unless the horse cost about $5,000 Em...... :lol:
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i think ATVs and horses suit call or the wild with its massive expansive reserves and fast game
Play but I feel anything like this in classic would accomplish nothing but to undermine the use and revenue of tents and make the reserves feel small.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”