Bobcat hunting technique suggestion...

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Hello fellow hunters .I would like to share a technique with you , that works pretty good for me , in hunting Bobcat with bows .

First, this is not a 100% fail proof way , but just my way .
Most would not need this aid probably , but for those who are looking to find a good way with some results and are not quite sure yet how to hunt them ,its there for you to read and use if you wish .

When the Bobcat came out , i did what probably most of the player did with the Ecaller ( Electronic Caller ) put it between 30@40 meters away and get on TS and wait .
I noticed that the Bobcat will be fearful the closer he gets to the Ecaller . When he finds out it not an animal , he flees . Bummer . You were just about maybe to shoot him .
He could have been away 40@55 meters still , which is not obvious to shoot with a bow . ( moving small target + medium distance + environment ( weeds,bushes,etc ) = not so sure of a kill shot ) .

So i thought about a way to minimize that reaction . I start from my TS, moving forward with Ecaller in hand with red outline on it , until it turns white and then drop it there .
It should be around 13@15 meters . You might think that its way to close , but like i said , its mostly for bow hunting them . For a rifle its another thing .
The Bobcats will obviously come closer , in bow range , before they have their '' what the hell is that '' reaction .

Thats pretty much there is to it . Patience and good location will do the trick .
So far , in WHI , on small island , near the 3-4 ponds , is the best result place for me now . Still testing other locations .

tyvm and hope this could help you out a little . ;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

ArwenerI
Spotter

Re: Bobcat hunting technique suggestion...

Post by ArwenerI »

For those who didnot own the Ecaller:
Place a tent right in front of the middle tower(tower 1) lader in Loggers point. Spawn at the lodge at 10:00 then fast travel to tent (2 camping suplies are needed) get on the tower and you will spot two bobcats every time,most of the times its outside the tent.After harvesting them search around a bit then if you fast travel again to the tent you may find more roaming.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Good tip DYEUZ :) Thanks!
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

DYEUZ wrote: First, this is not a 100% fail proof way , but just my way .
Most would not need this aid probably , but for those who are looking to find a good way with some results and are not quite sure yet how to hunt them ,its there for you to read and use if you wish .
TYVM, count me in the "not quite sure yet how to hunt them" group. This helps
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Thx and you are welcome guys . Just trying to help out and still testing for better ways to hunt them .

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

This is basically the way I hunt them too. I have two TSs on opposite sides of a road in southern WHI to cover all approach vectors. I set up the caller on the street/path itself, at minimum range from the TS like you, and shoot them with buckshot.

What I want to test in the future is to place the caller behind some sight cover to see if I can lure them closer. I would assume that the Bobcats have a combined line of sight/distance programming. So "hiding" the caller from their approach direction might work.

Insofar I have had distances of:

Shot Distance: 14.93m (48.98ft)
Shot Distance: 24.01m (78.77ft)
Shot Distance: 19.81m (64.99ft)
Shot Distance: 25.14m (82.48ft) Settlers Creek, tower

All of these without scent spray. So getting them close is not that difficult.
Code: Select all
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

Works great from a tower too. You can place the caller practically right under it.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Here's a question for you DYEUZ... have you tried caller and decoy??
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

I use ecaller and decoy, I have 4 tree stands with a caller at each point. I get one bobcat, fast travel to another tent as soon as I enter back in map bobcat already calling. Sometimes two or three together. Go to next point another call. Rinse repeat. After hitting all four spots I go back to hunting rabbit, deer, and hog.
Last edited by supercelldrw on September 16th, 2017, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

TreeKiwi wrote:Here's a question for you DYEUZ... have you tried caller and decoy??
I tried the predator caller couple times in WHI , with no success . All that came were coyotes . :?
I don't own any of the decoys .
Last edited by DYEUZ on September 16th, 2017, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “General Chat”