Hate the wolfes

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Hate the wolfes

Post by Prinz1989 »

Spend one entire hour on TGT walking along the river before finding wolfes.
They almost never call, so just moving along open terrain at least gives you some chance to find some. It's just luck though.
Hit a wolf with a lung shot from the 30-30 it escaped thanks to the roaming bug.
Hit a second one, it escaped with a body shot.
Went back to my tent got the scent dog. Scent dog wouldn't follow the tracks.
So the last half our was just spent running in circles trying to track the wounded wolfes and then getting the scent dog with couldn't make sense of it either.
1,5h spent hunting wolfes and 0 wolfes to show for it what a fun animal to hunt!
And hey now the bobcat will be very challanging to hunt as well!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Hate the wolfes

Post by HooCairs »

Prinz1989 wrote:walking along the river
I have had a similar experience when being in elk country. I recommend going south east where there is no elk.

Two advantages:
- One less species that will call (no elk, only mule deer, grizzly and wolves) so the chances are higher they call.
- When you call them in they will always come and not get distracted with elk chasing.

Give it a try. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Kinarr
Tracker

Post by Kinarr »

I cannot tell whether you are having fun, or complaining.
Your Scent Hound would have had no trouble if you had taken it the first time you ventured out.
Either way, they are spelt "wolves".
Spoiler:
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Thanks for the reply Hoo.
To be honest I never found many wolfes south of the river. Just very many mules.
I will give it another try though, otherwise I'm all out of ideas with the wolfes.

Will take the 7mm and the snakebite as well as a tripod, just to be on the sure site when it comes to weapons.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Kinarr wrote:I cannot tell whether you are having fun, or complaining.
Your Scent Hound would have had no trouble if you had taken it the first time you ventured out.
Either way, they are spelt "wolves".
Yeah I went without the scent dog as it makes similar sounds to a closeby wolf.
How you can be unsure on the fact that I'm very frustrated when it comes to wolves I'm not sure. Maybe some irony here is lost on me.
Your right on the spelling.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Prinz1989 wrote:Thanks for the reply Hoo.
To be honest I never found many wolfes south of the river. Just very many mules.
I will give it another try though, otherwise I'm all out of ideas with the wolfes.

Will take the 7mm and the snakebite as well as a tripod, just to be on the sure site when it comes to weapons.
They call less than the mulies. I start in theses woods, walk 150m to a treestand, and then just call them. Often they show up.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I have found the best method for me personally when I'm hunting wolves... is not to hunt wolves. Seems like every time I try to hunt elk or mule deer, wolves are all I get to call and come in. :roll:
krokenosterfant
Scout

Post by krokenosterfant »

I'm with xOEDragonx. They are thick when you not going for them, we were even saying on a mp game on WHI that wolves on TgT are the Turkey of WHI when hunting other animals... They call all the time and get in the way. I have encountered a lot south of the river because I go after mule deer a lot. Sounds like you had one bad/good spawn, depends what you want
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

xOEDragonx wrote:I have found the best method for me personally when I'm hunting wolves... is not to hunt wolves. Seems like every time I try to hunt elk or mule deer, wolves are all I get to call and come in. :roll:
This ^^

I find this actually happens more times than not while in my tower hunting at the fork in the river trying to call in mule deer and rm elk.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

My advice--start at the southwestern lodge, and head northeast. Go over the edge of the lake, slowly, calling for elk, wolves, whatever. In the fields on the way to the mountain range I normally find 1-2 herds of elk, at least one wolf pack, and 2-3 grizzlies (I don't WANT the grizzlies, they just are there).

From there I go east, toward the other mountains, well over the water/river. I usually find more elk/wolves there, too.

My own tree stand is at the ! on the map on the northern vertical river that cuts vertically through TGT. I get all SORTS of animals there; it's absolute constant, chaotic spawns. I've had two piebalds there in my last few hunts, too, it's a great spot. The location is along the river just near that !, I think it's called (Name's) Last Stand, or something.

Return to “General Chat”