Status Update 17th August 2017

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 17th August 2017

Post by JimboCrow »

pegleg168 wrote:I have a problem with the Game Management widget. When I click it it just comes up with html code on the button for bait site and a woodpecker ate my lodge for lodge management.
Some others had the same problem. I think it was suggested to try a different browser, and/or clear your game cache.
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

DHRifleman wrote:...I hope they are actual TruRac...
Hope is a good thing, I´m optimistic ;)
DHRifleman wrote:...I think there would be others that would do the same, and those with lots of them out will use the service much more if they have the control of bait added...
Yea, I like control... Its going towards winter here in Norway, and the feeders on Hemmeldal are 4x half full... I would like to have the feeders cleaned, and the remaining food moved over to Val des Bois... ...Whats the price of this servive...? :D

Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

JimboCrow wrote:
pegleg168 wrote:I have a problem with the Game Management widget. When I click it it just comes up with html code on the button for bait site and a woodpecker ate my lodge for lodge management.
Some others had the same problem. I think it was suggested to try a different browser, and/or clear your game cache.
yea, I hope they add Beaver to the game as well... I wanna kill some... they have a habbit to eat on the trees where my treestands are... I lost 2 treestands last week or so...!

pegleg168

Post by pegleg168 »

Tnx will try clearing cache
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Thanks for another update! I'm pretty excited about finding some sheds, and like others have said I hope they're generated with TruRacs so that they're all fairly unique. It seems like they would almost have to be for there to be a leaderboard... but either way I look forward to seeing what you come up with for them! I would put them in the treasures category since, as others have said, this category is incredibly difficult to fill in it's current state. Truth is, I wish sheds could be their own category, but then that wouldn't solve the lack of treasures problem. In my eyes, the perfect solution would be if existing treasures could be made much more adundament, and sheds be given their own category.

As for the bait filling service, I'm a little on the fence for the same reason as others. I know you said in a post Alena that you're not sure why someone wouldn't want to completely top off their bait site. Well, with the new system, topping off an empty bait site off means adding 50 units, which will last exactly 5 days (120 hours) from the time of filling. But the issue is, many players don't have the opportunity to play this game five days in a row, and if they do they might be very limited to how many hours per day they can play thanks to work/sleep/everything else. So if I want to fill my bait site so I can hunt for 2-3 hours one evening after work fully knowing I won't be playing the next several days, I will know from the get-go that I'm essentially wasting 40-45 units of bait if I use this feature. With the old baiting system, this would have been ok since it took 3-4 days of baiting to get your bait site up to 100% attraction. But with the new system, your bait site is 100% attractive the moment it goes active, barring the 4 hour waiting period. So unless you're going to hunt for five straight days, there's no reason to put five straight days worth of bait at the bait site.

From a financial standpoint, it also makes more sense to "waste" a site fill by not filling your site up completely than it does to "waste" your bait by adding too much. Bundles aside, a bait site refill is valued at 5 ems or 200 gms. A single pack of bait (50 units) is valued at 30 ems or 479 gms. Every time I don't completely fill my bait site and opt to only add, let's say 10 units of bait, I'm only wasting the value of the site refill (5 ems or 200 gms) since I'm not taking full advantage of it and topping off the site. But on the other side of the coin, if I fill my bait site completely (50 units) while knowing ahead of time that I'll only be able to hunt a couple hours for one day (only using about 5-10 units to hunt for one day), then I am wasting approximately 80% of the bait added to that site (the equivalent of wasting 24 ems or 383 gms worth of bait). So, the thought process many of the players here are having is, why would I waste 24 ems or 383 gms worth of bait that I'm being forced to waste if I choose to use this feature when I could just waste 5 ems or 200gms worth of a site fill that I actively choose of my own will to waste by not completely filling my bait site? If one had the time to hunt several days in a row over their bait site, of course topping off the site would be the most ideal situation because you can take advantage of all that bait being used. But the reality is that most players have work, school, sleep or other personal commitments that make it impossible to play 4-5 days in a row, thus they can't take advantage of all that bait they paid for so it just goes to waste.

I really hope my math and reasoning is clear on this! I would likely still use the feature as it currently stands simply because I don't use my bait sites that much. As a matter of fact, the only time I ever seem to want to use them is right after I get home from work and can't because they're not active. Wasting the bait would only be a minor inconvenience for me because I waste so much of it anyway not hunting over the sites I add bait to... I add bait with the intentions of coming back but after 4 hours I either forget or get bored or end up doing something else entirely. Adding bait while I'm at work means coming home and not having to wait and possibly forget/give up. The only thing that would make that better is not having to use up so much bait at one time if I know it won't all be used. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I hope you guys consider adding this feature given the feedback you've received. I for one am grateful for the effort you've put into this new feature in it's current state and hope to see it built upon to appeal to a wider range of players.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Hi all, we read all the posts in this thread, thanks for the discussion! There are two things I would like to address:

1) Ability to choose the amount of bait to fill. We've heard your arguments, they do sound reasonable, we'll make it happen. Luna has already developed this functionality and Martin is testing it as we speak. We are planning to release it later today. I am going to repeat myself again, the fact that this was not added at the release is nothing more but an oversight on our part, there is no hidden agenda here.

2) Bait site management as a paid feature. I addressed this issue back in February when we introduced premium trophy shot poses, so I am reposting my post from back then here, as it is valid for this feature as well. In short, you don't need it to play the game, hence it's paid. Butm unlike other premium features and items we have, you can also use it for gm$, which means with no hard money. For years people have been asking us to add more use and value to gm$, and now we finally did it with taxidermy fees and the bait site management feature.
I get what you are coming from, "pure" features is not something we monetized a lot in the past as opposed to "pure" content, such as weapons, or equipment, or similar in-game items, and I understand that someone's first reaction to this could be surprise and yes, maybe even disappointment. There are two things I would like you to ask you to consider:

1) Why introduce paid features? After 7 years of live operations and constant stream of new and half-new content I am feeling that theHunter Classic has a quite sufficient amount of that, to put it mildly. And I think that the community shares my opinion on that one. Sure, we can always introduce new rifle, or a shotgun, or a piece of equipment, but: a) it's getting more and more difficult to come up with something that would be exciting enough; b) players who have everything are not that keen on buying their n-th rifle, and that's understandable. But we, as a company, still need to make money, every day and every month, for the ship to stay afloat. Salaries, servers and other company bills need to be paid. Otherwise theHunter Classic will seize to exist. When I said in one of the status updates that we are looking for the game to grow deeper, not wider, I meant that, as I feel that this is the only way for us to stay relevant and interesting for our community. But while we are doing it and in order to be able to afford doing it, we still need to produce a constant revenue stream, that's why we are looking into new premium features that would be interesting enough for players to invest money into using them as opposed to owning their 20th rifle.

2) What should cost money? Now to the point what is the meat on the bones (I liked your metaphor) and what should cost money. New reload animations, revamping bears or polishing deer animations is the meat on the bones, and this will never cost extra money. When we release a new animal or a new reserve, this never costs extra, in fact your membership didn't increase in price for many years, so you are now getting access to 10 reserves with 37 animals for the same price as when theHunter had half of that. This is meat on the bones and this is what our membership is about. When we bring out premium features - something you DO NOT need to play and enjoy game, something hat doesn't have a significant impact on the gameplay, something that serves as a little extra for those who care enough, this is what we feel should be available to be purchased. Think of it as a bit of fat on the meat on the bones - it makes it tastier and juicer, but it's not a must to enjoy the meat. Some people don't even like fat ;) Premium poses for your character to make your trophy shots more aesthetically pleasing - one of such examples, because you still have old basic functionality which works well (as we read above, some people think that the existing functionality is better than poses); filling barrels from the web / launcher, if we were to introduce those - same, because you do not need to use the feature to achieve the same result in game, it's a matter of convenience and saving time; overhauling the harvest screen and other game UI, improving the baiting system, adding new animals, reserves, events, competitions etc. - not the same, and we are offering this at no additional cost.

Thank you.
Ringalor
Tracker

Post by Ringalor »

Thank you to all the team, you are the best !!! and special thanks to Alena, Luna and Martin...
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

Alena Rybik wrote:We are planning to release it later today.
Great! Thank you :)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Pittie wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:We are planning to release it later today.
Great! Thank you :)
Yes, nicely done. Good feature, good tweaking. Thank you for this. Looking forward to Refill Services bundled with Bait please! ;) :D
Luna Duclos
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Luna Duclos »

Could you post a screenshot of this ? Might help track it down.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”