Status Update 11th August 2017

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 11th August 2017

Post by gas56 »

Alena Rybik wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the bobcat everyone, although it's a shame that some of you felt the need to express themselves in a mocking and not-so-respectful way. We highly respect your experience, knowledge and feedback and we would like to ask for the same respect back. This is the only way we can continue developing this game in the harmonious relationship and active communication between the community and dev team, that we've worked on establishing for so long.

As for the bobcat renders I shared in the status update; as I wrote, those are early work in progress and what you see is not what you'll get. In addition, they were rendered in the tool called Maya, as we primarily wanted to share with you the animations. This tool is not the best at showing fur, and the final result in Maya is not only different from what you would see in another software, it's sometimes very different from what you'll see in game. It was my bad showing them to you without clarifying this, in the future we will wait until we have an animal in game before sharing anything visual.
BucksNBuffalo wrote: Problem being, the fur on the neck and chest is already wrong as it is, simply because...well...bobcats do not have that thick hair on the throat and stomach. Lynx do, not bobcats. I hope EW is doing their research on Bobcats and not mixing them up with Lynx. So even before testing begins, that hair needs removed. Testing an animal that is already wrong is pretty irrelevant. Some Bobcat pics for you. You will see that it does not have that thick fur on the throat or stomach.
No, we never do any proper research on animals before making them. And we definitely can not differentiate between Lynx and Bobcat, it's way too subtle a difference that we feel is unnecessary to be reflected in the most realistic hunting game ever created ;)
Sorry for all of the confusion.....
We all know you guys do the best that you can do to create a good experience in the final works.
And please don't stop showing us previews of work in progress because it is those times that remind us of all the creating that is being done which is very satisfying and rewarding looking at it. And my opinion only reflects to the best of my knowledge about wildlife and nature and is answered with in only partial information that is posted to us.
Never meaning to detract from your artists abilities,.. especially for the most realistic hunting game ever created ;) , which we enjoy so much playing when the bugs aren't being overly excessive and annoying. Even still, we remain loyal and are here to get through the tougher times until everything gets ironed out and everything works like a well greased wheel once again.
Sometimes I can be the worst critic in my remarks but it is usually the way I see things,.. and I think it is time to tell you how good of a job you guys are really doing.
Thanks for giving me a hunting game I can play when I'm not out there really doing it and keep up the good work.
Have a good 1....................GAS

P.S. Now about this cat thing......are they going to get bigger?................... :lol:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

caledonianblues wrote:
meg wrote:Oh great ! Thanks again !
And now I have the music from Alf stuck in my head for the rest of my day :?
I used to love ALF! He was hilarious! They just announced on "MeTV" (channel that only shows old TV shows) it was coming soon. I'm not sure how that will sound today- Kind of like bringing back "All in the Family" and Archie Bunker :o
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Radamus wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:
meg wrote:Oh great ! Thanks again !
And now I have the music from Alf stuck in my head for the rest of my day :?
I used to love ALF! He was hilarious! They just announced on "MeTV" (channel that only shows old TV shows) it was coming soon. I'm not sure how that will sound today- Kind of like bringing back "All in the Family" and Archie Bunker :o
I find if I try to watch those old shows now that I lose interest in them pretty fast.
I have a fonder memory of watching them the 1st time they came around and that's the way I want to remember them even if I have forgotten some of the episodes.
I've got HULU and they have a lot of the old shows but I would rather watch todays new series TV shows even though there's not many that catch my interest in watching them for more than the 1st season.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Hawkeye wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Hardly. The animal has yet to even begin testing.
Are you saying the fur looks fine as is?
I'm saying that it has yet to enter testing. You stated "what you see is what you get", and I'm saying that's not how it works. I'm confident they'll release a good looking cat.
I said if no one said anything about the issues with the fur, then what you see is what you get. Why would they change anything about the animal they showed us if everyone thought it looked great, they wouldn't. I don't see what testing has to do with appearance anyway.

And as far as waiting until it is in the game before showing them, why not get input as to what may be incorrect graphically early on like this, instead of after the animal is presumed complete. Granted you may get some over the top remarks from a few, but as long as you get some honest feedback you should be ahead of the game.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Alena Rybik wrote:in the future we will wait until we have an animal in game before sharing anything visual.
Well done guys, now look what you've done. :roll:
Alena you can send me pics of any future early-stage development animals anytime, I won't be so hypercritical like some others. :)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
FastGun
Scout

Post by FastGun »

Great status update can't wait to see this cute animal in game :)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

DHRifleman wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
DHRifleman wrote: Are you saying the fur looks fine as is?
I'm saying that it has yet to enter testing. You stated "what you see is what you get", and I'm saying that's not how it works. I'm confident they'll release a good looking cat.
I said if no one said anything about the issues with the fur, then what you see is what you get. Why would they change anything about the animal they showed us if everyone thought it looked great, they wouldn't. I don't see what testing has to do with appearance anyway.

And as far as waiting until it is in the game before showing them, why not get input as to what may be incorrect graphically early on like this, instead of after the animal is presumed complete. Granted you may get some over the top remarks from a few, but as long as you get some honest feedback you should be ahead of the game.
But there was no issue with the fur in the first place since it obviously wasnt displayed properly to even make an assumption over the finished product.
Its a long time since i played a game were the developers showed their community such an early look at something willingly to ease the hype of people. This move from Alena and the team was really nice and shows how much they care for this community. They deserve a ton of respect and love for this.
I can totally understand that she and probably all of them got a little bit frustrated with the,in some posts, totally unreasonable lessons people tryed to give them. Over something she even said is an EARLY and INCOMPLETE preview. Seeing how old the engine is all of the newer animal models still look absolutely fantastic even for todays standards and are really close to their counterpart in reality. I am confident the cats will look amazing once they are finished. Seems like they have a lot of talented artits at their disposal :)
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

Alena Rybik wrote: From the status update, quote: "Crunching Fiesta Numbers... Only 13 hunters have completed all three packs!..."
13 + Pretty_Boy :D

Hunter300
Spotter

Post by Hunter300 »

Alena Rybik wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the bobcat everyone, although it's a shame that some of you felt the need to express themselves in a mocking and not-so-respectful way. We highly respect your experience, knowledge and feedback and we would like to ask for the same respect back. This is the only way we can continue developing this game in the harmonious relationship and active communication between the community and dev team, that we've worked on establishing for so long.
The mocking or disrespectful reaction of 1 or 2 people doesn't reflect the majority in the community Alena.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

D3AKUs wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

But there was no issue with the fur in the first place since it obviously wasnt displayed properly to even make an assumption over the finished product.
Its a long time since i played a game were the developers showed their community such an early look at something willingly to ease the hype of people. This move from Alena and the team was really nice and shows how much they care for this community. They deserve a ton of respect and love for this.
I can totally understand that she and probably all of them got a little bit frustrated with the,in some posts, totally unreasonable lessons people tryed to give them. Over something she even said is an EARLY and INCOMPLETE preview. Seeing how old the engine is all of the newer animal models still look absolutely fantastic even for todays standards and are really close to their counterpart in reality. I am confident the cats will look amazing once they are finished. Seems like they have a lot of talented artits at their disposal :)
No issue? How are we to determine that what was shown isn't what it will look like in the game? How is this obvious? Wasn't the entire reason to show them was so we could see what they look like so far being a WIP? Regardless if the fur is displayed correctly or not, it is just too long in those areas for a bobcat.
And giving a preview of upcoming animals is really nothing new for theHunter, and EW, and criticism has been made, and taken into consideration in the past as well.

It seems that because of a couple of remarks this has gone from "here is the new Bobcat, what do you think" to don't comment because you may hurt a Devs/artists feelings. They work hard, and should not be critiqued. Honestly the posts with the sarcastic remarks could have been easily edited, or deleted and the rest of the constructive criticism could have been taken as it was meant, as a help.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”