Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Here is a picture showing a few of the other bows at the competition. I wish that I had done a backing board like the one on the far right left. Mine looks kind of plain.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Nice to see the fruits of your labors Trenton. The other bows look very nice as well. I would like to attend a show like that. It was a show wasn't it? Or just a closed door judging? I would really like to hear their comments about each bow. Cool photo.

Once again, congratulations, Trenton. Well done.
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

JimboCrow wrote:Nice to see the fruits of your labors Trenton. The other bows look very nice as well. I would like to attend a show like that. It was a show wasn't it? Or just a closed door judging? I would really like to hear their comments about each bow. Cool photo.

Once again, congratulations, Trenton. Well done.
It was a show. It closes for an hour or two while the judging takes place, then opens back up to the public. My buddy built a canoe that took best in show throughout the state which is pretty awesome.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

That take-down to the left looks sharp (but I just hate take-downs cause they creak) - Yeah I like the full frontal look- harder to see those air bubbles and glue gaps :lol: ... 6th aint bad buddy, congrats!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here is a picture showing a few of the other bows at the competition. I wish that I had done a backing board like the one on the far right. Mine looks kind of plain.
Plain nothing. I think yours looks great Trenton. It is true that the one on the far right does have a backing but yours has way nicer wood and more pop Imho. Even if it is biased ;)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

walt133 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here is a picture showing a few of the other bows at the competition. I wish that I had done a backing board like the one on the far right. Mine looks kind of plain.
Plain nothing. I think yours looks great Trenton. It is true that the one on the far right does have a backing but yours has way nicer wood and more pop Imho. Even if it is biased ;)
Thanks Walt. I meant the board on the left which shows the live edge of the tree. For some reason a bow is a weapon, even without a string or arrow so they need to be secured. :roll:

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well, it looks like I have one more shot at this bow building nonsense before I really have to give it up. Going to the community college and maintaining a good relationship with the high school shop teacher has its advantages. :lol: Once deer season is over I get free reign of the shop as long as there are no classes going on, which means I might be able to finish a bow in less than 6 months. This whole thing is just in the beginning stages, so it will be quite a while until I start anything, but I'd like to start brainstorming ideas for what I want to make. Right now my three options that I'm considering are a 3 piece takedown longbow, a shorter (58 inches or so) recurve, or a Hill style longbow. What do you guys think?

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

When I think of your bows I look at them as to how would they fit in the game- Not a lot of options so comes down to what you would want obviously- So if I had to ask for some way to improve upon what we have it's kind of a toughy outside of a powerful longbow but I don't care for the ingame longbow much and the cable backed is a lot more primitive than my interests allow. The only thing I can come up with would be a true centershot riser but that's about all I can come up with but not sure it can even be pulled off without going hybrid with CF laminates for rigidity to eliminate flex/twist- But hey, YOU're the expert here bubba! Maybe if you REALLY wanted a challenge, a Scythian/Tartar or Mongolian flavor but from what I've found even those were composites and would be a monumental challenge....so maybe that is the way to go :lol: .... Surprise us! I know it will upset the primitive puritans, but maybe a curve, centershot with a pin? :o
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Radamus wrote:with a pin? :o
What? Never! I believe it was you who said putting a sight on a recurve is like putting ketchup on a perfectly cooked steak. :lol:

I don't have access to the materials or the skills needed to build a composite bow (unless you have some spare water buffalo horn laying around ;) ) I'm thinking about going with a 3 piece longbow. A guy that I get some of my building supplies from just finished up a set of takedown longbow plans that look really good. I might give that a try since I've never made one before. I'm not really building for the game. I figured that getting on bow in was good enough. If it happens again, great, if not, no worries. Either way, I still have quite a while before anything gets started. There are deer to be hunted as of right now. :lol:

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Radamus wrote:with a pin? :o
What? Never! I believe it was you who said putting a sight on a recurve is like putting ketchup on a perfectly cooked steak. :lol:
Here's your 3 piece ;)
Wonder if Zach puts ketchup on his steak???
I can accept it on a modern comp bow- but I've seen traditional s modified and that makes me ill yes.

Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”