Frustration

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
knott
Outfitter

Frustration

Post by knott »

These missions drive me crazy in a good way at first but now just frustration. The fallow photoshoot mission. God so tired of taking photos and they never ever count. Then shoot and wonder if my 185 was anywhere close good enough if it was just not my camera shots that was 100 % perfect... But the description hint it probably must be a level 5 no level 4 will ever be good enough.

Now the red deer gold that I never predicted would be so hard since I got a couple already but in two weeks it will just not happen! I got some 185 that might been enough but either I got the 7mm bug where it get arrow ballistics or I have to take half chance shots because they are spooked like crazy. This red deers are skitzo even the level 5s you can track. I had a session where I sprint tracked just now tracks to see them go very fresh to fresh due to his unpredictable pattern. I maxed out the tracking but since you really have to sprint some when they are in travel mode you are seldom having to deal on a not alert Red deer once after 20 minute hike to get there. Of course all these sprinting make it less likely to find the legendary that don´t even lay tracks and probably never call either :p. So that system worked. I got my level 9 why not even looking.

And there is the red fox at 140 metre with .44. I did it with the .357 because I was dead certain it wasn´t anywhere close to 140 metres. Of course after that they will never ever be at the open fields I look out they are always in the dense forest where you can´t even spot them. And it´s hard to be confident with the shots and bullet drop without any shooting range.

These is what frustrates me the most. Good missions.

Now these missions where you are supposed to harvest animals where there never is some is a bit overboard I feel :p.
knott
Outfitter

Re: Frustration

Post by knott »

omg. Finally catch a red fox walking out on a field. I stay wait for it to get the distance. Use my range finder but it gives wonky readings. The cross is misaligned it don´t center from the middle of the cross!!! I try to have some safety margin I measure against a wall and there it´s safe. But of course the red fox change direction and walk behind it! No problem there seem to be space all around so no chance I want catch her as she continue forward. I try to change my angle as much as possible but can´t get a glimps of her. I wait for a good 10 minutes having no idea if there is a ditch she could evade me from. Walk there and sure enough she continued forward but somehow in an invisible angle however that is possible...
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

I agree, the rangefinder needs some work.

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Gah I found a Red Deer good enough and I blew it! Thought I got a perfect angle for a spine shot but the red deer was so beefy I only got flesh... Wonder if .338 would give 100 % integrity bonus on trophy animals like this or maybe I should go for the .454 since my 7mm don´t seem up to the task.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Found a mythical. But suffered the 7mm aiming bug. Frustration continues.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Aaaaaaah finally after umpteeen failures. I finally spot a level 7 very hard from 200 metre across a pond. At this distance he do seem to spot me as he behave very nervously! track him while crouching forward hoping he will go all around the pond towards me. He does walk in the right direction but into some bushes. Going prone and scent eliminator is not enough because wind direction is wrong so he spooks when I am at 180 metres. Higher level Red deers are worse then any animal in the Hunter classic that´s for sure so no wonder I run into issues. They are kind of similar to bear amazing smell and they will spot you when you spot them more often then not. Only human if wind is in your favor.

Got a bunch of new missions. Including .270 hit a red deer in the heart with a gold rating.... From hell to worse :D
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Got the. 270 gold on second try funny how this works...
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

This is an awesome thread ;)

The camera is still as frustrating as ever wish there could be something done. I got a mission to photo mr black again! I do luck out finding him but then I am super unlucky with the wind which blows straight towards him. I am still after a long treck been able to take some decent photos but to no avail. Finally after I don´t know how long he makes a turn and I am not having everything against me. Lures hardly work on legendaries and of course he has been in spooked state for long. I am finally able to get so close that while zoomed in he fills the entire camera standing on the back legs facing me but it´s not enough!!! After this he is constantly running for an hour but never surrender. I do finally get the mission done on a side shot quite a bit away. At that point I had taken about 230 better pictures. It just feels as random as ever what pictures counts and which doesn´t. Maybe it should be side shots not frontal shots but felt I took quite a few of those as well.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Bow hunting... On the mission to harvest two roosevelt elk from a groundblind. There is one groundblind in the area and it´s steaming with elks so what is the problem... Wind ALWAYS in the wrong direction have to take pot shots from 85 metres and it´s hard enough in classic but my talent pool runs dry in cotw. They are quick to come back from being spooked so you get new chances but constant misses as they will stop at around 85 metres all the time. 55 metres if you are super lucky. If I would just trust my aim more it would maybe gone better but seen such inconsistancies on the shooting range I have no real idea.
Next time they come from the blind spot and stop just before or where you have a small window to hit it. Of course you miss. Then you get an elk coming from the right direction but you miss because you are bad or it´s one of the preprogrammed wrong flying arrows.
Then you get elks charging the groundblind but you misscalculate the running shots so many near misses! Then you finally do hit some but like 8 out of 10 of my bow shots it´s a "very low" and you know she will stop bleeding very soon. But you are over the moon because you actually did hit but it´s not a sure kill like in the Classic!

Then you start tracking but she is on a constant trot and you find that you are actually loosing ground walking behind her. Then you catch a herd of 8 elks then have to guess which one. After several minutes of contemplating where all look healthy you just have to do something. Shoot some to have them spread out at least even if you get the wrong one. Of course you don´t hit the right one and a new tracking session against a constantly running/trotting elk. That runs in circles to make tracking even slower. Thankfully I have fully upgraded tracking so I can always know which is the freshest otherwise it would been next to impossible. After 90 real time minutes I call it the day and give up. Back to square one with an area dark purple so now they won´t come to the call even if the wind is straight.

This is the worst session but I have several light versions of this to get the second elk. Maybe in another weeks time despite more often then not being surrounded by elk.
John Swanson
Tracker

Post by John Swanson »

I enjoy reading your frustrations, saves me from suffering the same fate

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”