Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Unfortunately it's been raining pretty much non stop here, so I don't have any outdoor pictures. Here are some that I took inside. After spraying on two coats of polyurethane, I sanded with 600 grit and sprayed on another coat. Before putting on the third coat, I wrote the bow specs on the riser. It came out 54 pounds at 28 inches, and since my draw length is 29, it will be about 56-57 pounds which is perfect. Plenty strong enough to kill anything in N. America and light enough to shoot accurately. I'll update this with more pictures once the final coat is on and the sun comes out.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

It looks beautiful Trenton. Is it as good as you had hoped? Nothing would please me more than to see EW bring this bow into the game for you as well. Good luck either way, and enjoy your new toy! :)
Longmann
Scout

Post by Longmann »

Nice, hope it will serve you well. It looks like from a store, well done. It has been a pleasure to follow its building process from a scratch.
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks guys!
Jimbo, aside from the small gap in the riser overlay, I'm very happy with it. It shoots faster than my 62 pound longbow, which shows the advantage of the deflex reflex design. I'm excited to finish it up and start doing some serious shooting with it.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

The bow is finished! Gave it the final rub down today and called it good. It's really nice looking now that it's all shiny (but not too shiny). The weather is supposed to be really nasty tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll get any outdoor pics. If it's nice though, I'll snap a few.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

The weather was decent, so here are some pictures. I'm really happy with it. I put it through the chronograph, and it was shooting a 525 grain arrow at about 168fps which is pretty good for a longbow. I still need to make a final string for it, and will probably lose a few fps when I put on some string silencers, but it won't be a big deal. Here are some pics.

Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

looks great!
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Wow looking good Trenton! You really have an amazing ability. It's a real pleasure reading about it, and seeing the finished product after all the hours you've put into it. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it out in the woods. Have you decided on a name for it yet? Ol' Smoky? ;)

I can't wait to buy one myself so I can try it out on some big bad beautiful boars in Hirschfelden! (Classic and/or COTW!!!) Did you hear that EW??? In case you didn't, here it is again with the volume cranked:

I can't wait to buy one myself so I can try it out on some big bad beautiful boars in Hirschfelden! :lol: Thanks so much in advance. Please, take my money.... :D
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks guys!

Jimbo, I didn't put a name on it but I'll always think of it as Ol' Smokey. I didn't even realize what you typed in bold at first. I thought it was just part of your signature like Buckkiller's :lol:

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Sometimes big is actually TOO big. And then we just can't see the forest for the trees! :lol:
Here's my signature:
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”