.338 and 8-16x50 scope in action

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
james990
Outfitter

.338 and 8-16x50 scope in action

Post by james990 »

For some, you may be contemplating weather to purchase or save up for the .338 or the 50x scope, which are some of the most expensive items in the store. If you wanted to see an example of how the scope looks and how powerful the gun is here is a video of the combo vs some elk over some water at Balmont Lake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6fdUR0aGQ4

I have both the 7mm and .338. Both guns are really good and have good range. But i find when you need a just bit more power especially on the likes of Moose the .338 covers the 7mm. 7mm is still a very good gun for bears, red deer, and elk also.
Last edited by james990 on March 1st, 2017, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: .338 and 50x scope in action

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Nice video. :) Though I don't think it's ethical to shoot elk with such a severe hearing impairment! Also loved how the blacktail does had to "sniff you up" after all that shooting.

On a serious note: shooting over such long distances with a 50x scope is a dream a lot of Classic players have been waiting for. Too bad they messed it up in CotW with the animals not fleeing, but this will hopefully be fixed soon.
Image Image Image
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Nice video. :) Though I don't think it's ethical to shoot elk with such a severe hearing impairment! Also loved how the blacktail does had to "sniff you up" after all that shooting.

On a serious note: shooting over such long distances with a 50x scope is a dream a lot of Classic players have been waiting for. Too bad they messed it up in CotW with the animals not fleeing, but this will hopefully be fixed soon.
Haha thank you. You still receive 100% integrity with a single .338 bullet on the elk. If you hit an Elk twice you don't get any integrity. Yes indeed, this happens with any shot over around 250m so my educated guess is that they are to far to hear the bullet possible based on classic. I have seen videos however with long distance shooting where an animal is shot and doesn't move because it has no idea where the bullet came from :lol:

Also on the bottom note I shot a fallow deer at 414m with the 42x scope. Wish i was recording!
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Yes they dont always run irl. Is it like in classic beyond the spooking distance they dont react? I refuse to call it a negative with better rendering distance.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

knott wrote:I refuse to call it a negative with better rendering distance.
Oh, I wouldn't call it a negative either - no way! But I think animals not spooking whatsoever beyond 250 meters is something that can and should be fixed in the future.

I understand that animals don't always run in real life after a shot and anything that makes animal behavior more variable and less predictable is great, but roaming around after three shots, with three dead buddies lying around? Isn't that a bit much?
Image Image Image
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
knott wrote:I refuse to call it a negative with better rendering distance.
Oh, I wouldn't call it a negative either - no way! But I think animals not spooking whatsoever beyond 250 meters is something that can and should be fixed in the future.

I understand that animals don't always run in real life after a shot and anything that makes animal behavior more variable and less predictable is great, but roaming around after three shots, with three dead buddies lying around? Isn't that a bit much?

I wonder, I get a little discouraged when I see pictures in Classic of the the odd 25 dead bodies piled up in front of tree stands, but the animals keep coming. ;-)
Thanks, ~Jeff

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

jeff1963 wrote:I wonder, I get a little discouraged when I see pictures in Classic of the the odd 25 dead bodies piled up in front of tree stands, but the animals keep coming. ;-)
Yeah, those bow hunters, they just can't behave! :lol:
Image Image Image
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Gameplay wise it would be nice with a mix at least. But at really long range they don´t get that upset about the rifle shot and they don´t always understand why their buddies fall over. But the animal getting hit should after a stun period at least start to move around if not a lethal shot you would think. Seen bison that just stand there to be shot one by one IRL. They are not always so smart as we wish. I recon it is the same with humans I am not sure how I would behave if I all of a sudden heard a gun shot. I would probably be paralyzed for a while before starting running because I would never expect it.
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I understand that animals don't always run in real life after a shot and anything that makes animal behavior more variable and less predictable is great, but roaming around after three shots, with three dead buddies lying around? Isn't that a bit much?
Not necessarily. If you want to be realistic, there's a lot of factors involved in that - it's entirely possible to kill multiple animals IRL in a localized area, provided they don't identify a specific threat. An animal pitching over dead suddenly isn't necessarily an automatic threat - animals don't think like we do. Sometimes they will scatter briefly before returning to their group, sometimes they just look around confused, sometimes they just trot away for a few meters and keep right on eating. Heck, even humans - in an area where they wouldn't assume something bad would happen - will often head towards someone who suddenly pitched forward to help them, instead of all scattering to the four corners. It's easy to identify you're the threat when you're behind the gun. Not necessarily so much when you're at 200m+ out.

I've seen people in the game with deer stacked up like cordwood around a tree stand, or hogs/bears around a barrel (heck, I used to do that with my "hillside o' death" that I spent many hours at in Hemmeldal). I've called deer to me while they stomp and walk over a field of their dead buddies.

CotW seems to work in the best of both worlds - it allows you to kill groups of animals provided that you don't do something to get caught (as in, rapidly firing weapons at close range, or allowing them to smell/see you, and using good shot placement), but also adds hunting pressure so that you may be able to do that in a specific location, it gets increasingly difficult to do it again in that area for a while. tH:Classic simply makes it so that shots absolutely scare everything in render range, but then ignores the idea of hunting pressure and still allows you to stack animals up like cordwood while they trip and jitter over each other's ragdolls to get to you.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Thanks for the insights, knott and Tundra. Looks like Classic gave me some wrong ideas of hunting. :)
Image Image Image

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”