Problems with some species suggestions.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Lawger
Hunter

Re: Problems with some species suggestions.

Post by Lawger »

exactly. From what I've heard, The Hunter was made primarily for those who favour a simulation (I'm one of those as well btw), and as far as I'm concerned it should not step away from that path. There are several other games who fit the criteria of a "game", go play those instead and quit trying to ruin The Hunter.
Legendaryaxe
Tracker

Post by Legendaryaxe »

Great point about bears and other dangerous animals. They could kill you, which would present a problem with stats, etc. I'm not sure that means they shouldn't be added, but I do understand the concern...definitely something that needs to be though out.

HOWEVER, what's the problem with introducing a species that presents some new game play? Sure, it would present a challenge to the game devs, but that's no reason to give up. Speaking of challenge, ducks, doves, geese, etc, would be a challenge to shoot while in flight, and I daresay, would be fun to hunt. Anybody agree?
Legendaryaxe
Tracker

Post by Legendaryaxe »

Actually, bears would be good, come to think of it. Maybe if you die, you die. You've gotta start up fresh -- you'd still have you license. In real life hunters are sometimes in jeopardy of being killed by a bear, and so being that this is a simulation, you should be able to die in this game as well. A bear would a lots of tension to the hunt.
Quillink
Scout

Post by Quillink »

Good luck trying to convince everyone that risking their hard-earned stats is worth the extra tension. ;)
I'm all for bears, don't get me wrong, but Emote would get a lot of hatemail if this was added.
shneebly

Post by shneebly »

a dog as a parnter would be great, pheasants would be great and red deer would be excellent! im from new zealand and we have alot of red deer but the max ull c is four together,scotland deer in there hundreads are proberly on a farm lol. the other deer we have here are wapati its deer crossed with a moose really and they are amazing and huge
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

shneebly wrote:scotland deer in there hundreads are proberly on a farm lol.
The red deer of Scotland are up in the highlands, Cairngorms, Glen Shee etc....certainly not a farm. The herds are huge, seen plenty myself . There are even small suggestions of bringing the wolf back to Scotland to help control their numbers.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
Simon m
Chat Logger

Post by Simon m »

Search for "Autumn watch" by the BBC you'll see plenty of Deer wild in the UK
Pilot86

Post by Pilot86 »

ElusiveShadow wrote:
shneebly wrote:scotland deer in there hundreads are proberly on a farm lol.
The red deer of Scotland are up in the highlands, Cairngorms, Glen Shee etc....certainly not a farm. The herds are huge, seen plenty myself . There are even small suggestions of bringing the wolf back to Scotland to help control their numbers.

You don't have to bring the wolf back just let me loose in Scotland on a free hunting trip i'll kill all the red deer you want :mrgreen: Always wanted to go to Scotland
Ulric
Spotter

Post by Ulric »

Im curious... is there a particular reason that these animals 'have' to attack the hunter?

Do all bears, always attack?
A stag has never attacked a hunter?

Any hunters here been attacked by a real wolf?

Not trying to be rude/mean etc... just add some point of thought.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

In fact, it is very exceptional that a (wild!) animal attacks a human. By far the most humans who suffer from attacks are attacked by other humans.... and this is probably one reason why usual FPS and war games are more popular than hunting games (unfortunately, in my view). And apart from that, by far the most respective animal accidents which happen are caused by farm and pet animals getting mad.

Now, coming back to the question: Wild animal attacks can happen due to many causes, and every species can attack you, even so small ones like mouses and rats. It depends on the particular cicumstances - the stress level, the aggression level, the pain level, and also sometimes pathological factors (rabies). In all this cases, the ultimate cause for the attack is defense. Now, predatory animals who do not only attack for defense usually do not have humans as their normal target - most have learned due to the course of evolution that a human being is normally a much to dangerous prey to take the risk. Again, only few exceptions confirm the rule, as we all know. Unfortunately, media tend to blow up such cases, and so raise the impression that being eaten by a shark is something that happens every day. In fact, however, globally much more people win the jackpot in a lottery than are eaten by sharks.

This is the background I would consider in the discussion of whether a hunting game shold have attacking dangerous animals or not. If we deal with a realistic simulation, such an event must be much rarer than seeing 5 albinos in the same spot. But concerning the expectation of many players (and especially those who have a FPS background), a hunting game where animals do not "shoot back" might be boring after a while. And this is the fine line that developers probably have to consider....

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”