Bows & Crossbows | Compound Bow "Snakebite"

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
2%
1 - Very poor
3%
2 - Poor
1%
3 - Average
6%
4 - Good
40%
5 - Excellent
49%

Total votes: 162
Catafesta
Tracker

Re: Bows & Crossbows | Compound Bow "Snakebite"

Post by Catafesta »

ronMctube wrote:the games first bow. still the best overall and easy to use. a must buy if you a bow hunter.

Every time i watch video with that old animation of callers, weapons, etc. i ask myself why they removed that.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

I rated it Good.
Unlike many others I never really took to it. I hate the sound. It sounds more like dry firing a bow than actually using one.
The bow itself works as intended but although it's reportedly the most powerful at a listed 80lbs pull I don't get any better results than I do with the Parker.
And the single pin sight is a big turn off for me. They're used primarily for target shooting if I remember correctly.
But with all my detractions I still can't rate it bad, it is still a "good" bow in my opinion.
In case the topic is raised:
While I own a compound bow IRL I have very little experience with them in the field. I have never shot the one I own, I bought it from a cousin because of who owned it previously as a keep sake. I used to shoot straight and recurve bows extensively when I was very young but that was a long time ago. However, I do remember what it sounds like to accidentally let the string go without an arrow nocked. (Kids, do not try this at home)
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

[quote="OH and to echo Hoo- If they would develop an equivalent sight to the Parker 5pin for the snake, I firmly believe a significant amount of money would be generated overnight and thoroughly please a lot of people.[/quote]

+1 :o :o :o :o
Code: Select all

nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

SloNeZ wrote:I rated it Good.
Unlike many others I never really took to it. I hate the sound. It sounds more like dry firing a bow than actually using one.
The bow itself works as intended but although it's reportedly the most powerful at a listed 80lbs pull I don't get any better results than I do with the Parker.
And the single pin sight is a big turn off for me. They're used primarily for target shooting if I remember correctly.
But with all my detractions I still can't rate it bad, it is still a "good" bow in my opinion.
While I own a compound bow IRL I have very little experience with them in the field. I have never shot the one I own, I bought it from a cousin because of who owned it previously as a keep sake. I used to shoot straight and recurve bows extensively when I was very young but that was a long time ago. However, I do remember what it sounds like to accidentally let the string go without an arrow nocked. (Kids, do not try this at home)
I thought exactly the same as you until recently. The sound is ugly, its ungodly loud, I just hated it. Then I went to the range with every one of my weapons to assess my skill and how effective I was. What I found is, I actually begun to like the sound of the snakebite and if I shot a bit farther ~40m spooking wasn't a big problem. As far as power goes I have to disagree. 60m double lung on moose with snakebite is ususal. The python cant even punch the shoulder blade.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

nosnerb wrote:
SloNeZ wrote:I rated it Good.
I thought exactly the same as you until recently. The sound is ugly, its ungodly loud, I just hated it. Then I went to the range with every one of my weapons to assess my skill and how effective I was. What I found is, I actually begun to like the sound of the snakebite and if I shot a bit farther ~40m spooking wasn't a big problem. As far as power goes I have to disagree. 60m double lung on moose with snakebite is ususal. The python cant even punch the shoulder blade.
I've made 60m kills with the Parker but I used it exclusively for a long time to get it to Level 20 so aiming became second nature. But with any weapon in this game a good solid vital hit is often a roll of the dice even with good aiming.
And what I've found when comparing weapon performance at both the range and in game is any weapon is more effective on the 3D range animal targets than on the in game animals. Vital hits seem more consistent at the 3D range.
KriegsWulff
Spotter

Post by KriegsWulff »

I rated it as good, it misses out on the excellent rating due to the 1 pin sight. I agree with the others who have stated it would be better with a multi pin sight

Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Rated excellend.
The one pin sight actually helps unexperienced players. Also it's cheaper than the parker python. I would still give the python the price for best bow overall but the snakebite is the best beginners bow.

The bow is very powerfull and between 10m and 35m the arrow will hit close to the point the one pin showed. The arrows fly pretty staight.
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

Damn, voted thinking it was the 'Python'

Still like this 'my first bow' though, I use it when I need that extra punch.
MaxPerilous
Tracker

Post by MaxPerilous »

I thoroughly enjoyed this bow until the parker came out. Hasn't seen much use since. For one the spook radius and for two the sight are the reasons why the parker is my best friend. Def has more punch that the parker and with proper care can be just as effective or even more so than the parker.

I want to pre order the parker site for the snakebite. Shush and take my money!!
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

Guess I'm odd as this is my favorite bow in game. I carry it 90% of the time. I like the 1 pin sight as I can see around the sight. I really dis-like the 5 pin on the Parker and rarely use the sight. Yes this makes more noise but it doesn't spook em far and give em 2-3 in game minutes and you can call them back as long as you didn't leave the stand or move. Yes dbl lung moose/elk is not a problem, bison @ 40m is very doable they are so big, I can not get a dbl lung on a bison with the Parker. The Parker makes less noise but still spooks em. When you get 6-9 coming in they are close to each other and dropping one seems to spook the one next to it regardless if it's the Snakebite, Parker or re-curve. With the Snakebite I know it's going to drop, same shot placement & distance with the Parker and it doesn't always drop. Even a single lung will drop WT/BT however with the Parker they will take a few steps before dropping spooking everything. I use the Parker for birds, yotes, small game mostly. BTW same skill level and kills with both bows. No sight also give you .5 more space.
YMMV

Return to “Store Item Reviews”