2015/2016 Hunting and trapping season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Rexpress
Scout

2015/2016 Hunting and trapping season

Post by Rexpress »

So I start this off by wishing us all a good year!

Here in Sweden the huntyear is normaly starting 1 juli by buying the new cert for the coming fall. So I hope to post some nice pics later on :D
ignasi1994

Re: 2015/2016 Hunting and trapping season

Post by ignasi1994 »

Yeeeeh, a good season for all! Wild boar season in my country starts in September and ends in February (in many sites for diferents reasons like high poblation and damage to agriculture ends later and starts earlier), but we can hunt diferents animals like roe deer,deer, chamois,... along the year and we also have permitts for damage to agriculture. In May of this year i hunted a selective chamois and i've to go for another one, if it's possible on december if environment department says me it's ok on december.
Also, 1 of September starts the period to apply for the permitts loterie to hunt on the hunting reserves of my region, we can apply for chamois, roe deer, spanish ibex, red deer, fallow deer and mufloun for trophys (medal posibility) or selectives.
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

Yes, please do post pictures boys and gals! I always immensely enjoy watching these, not being a RL hunter.
Good luck everyone!
ignasi1994

Post by ignasi1994 »

Flanker305 wrote:Yes, please do post pictures boys and gals! I always immensely enjoy watching these, not being a RL hunter.
Good luck everyone!
Okei, gooees!

My chamois taken on May in Catalonian Pyrinees. Was a really nice hunting! I was applying for 3 years to hunt it.
Rifle used: Mauser 98 in 7x64
Scope: Swarovski 3-9x42
Bullet: Speer Grand Slam 160 grains. A deadly shot, it didn't moved from the site.

Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Waidmannsheil and congratulations! That sounds like an awesome experience, I have to go and visit the Catalunyan Pyrenees!

I went last time for a hunting trip in my "homegrounds" end of July, a very nice weekend, although we had some freak weather and it was abnormally cold and wet for the time of the year.
It was the time of the Roe deer rut, probably the highlight of a Roe deer hunter's year.
There is always plenty of action and bucks are searching for partners that were hiding in the thickets all year. On a handful of days I could confirm 28 individual bucks within our hunting grounds.

But besides really great experiences, I was also quite successful
Here's a (actually one of three) fox I got:

And this Roe bucks fell for my aria of love songs:
I saw him earlier together with his chosen partner resting in a small clearing surrounded by thickets and no chance to get to them. So I sneaked around them until I found another small clearing in the vicinity and then started to call, hiding behind a tree with the gun already resting ready in front of me. He came jumping towards me at the first sounds, but didn't offer me a shot until he completely had circled me and was about to get downwind of me (and likely spook). So I had to shoot him from an awkward and twisted position (always making sure he doesn't spot or hear me moving and adjusting my stance) in free aim at quite a distance. He disappeared with a jump into the thickets and was gone. And I was left with the nervous insecurity, wondering what just had happened. A feeling probably every hunter can relate to.
Half an hour later I went to investigate and found signs of a good lung/heartshot and shortly after found the buck that had made maximally 2-3 jumps away from the spot I shot him at. He probably didn't experience this flight consciously and sufferance was minimal, if any. Surely dead within seconds. It's probably obvious, but I was pretty pleased with that. As I was with the buck himself.
A really decent, 5-6 year old buck with a nice crown of antlers. I was pretty pleased and grateful that I have the pleasure of experiencing and memorising such stories.

A little later I came across that poor fellow:
Probably already deceased in spring due to weakness and illness. Those are the low points and when regret and remorse are present in a hunter's mind. I wish I would've been there to end its sufferance in time.
Actually, speaking of: That was another part of the trip's experience. A doe had been killed in a car accident a few days before and I finally managed to find its fawn, which was meanwhile already suffering from starvation and I had to dispatch it to end the sufferance. That's also hunting for me.
Albeit not the part I enjoy to relive in my memories.
Last edited by Knut on August 21st, 2015, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ignasi1994

Post by ignasi1994 »

I don't know why but i can't see the images :S
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

ignasi1994 wrote:I don't know why but i can't see the images :S
Thanks for letting me know, it worked for me :(

(Hopefully) fixed it now.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ignasi1994

Post by ignasi1994 »

Knut wrote:
ignasi1994 wrote:I don't know why but i can't see the images :S
Thanks for letting me know, it worked for me :(

(Hopefully) fixed it now.

yeeah! Nice drilling and nice roe deer! Now i'm looking for a nice single shot rifle in 6.5x57r but them are so expensive...

Catalonian Pyrinees are awesome, there are 4 hunting reserves in our pyrinees and some of them are side by side with natural parks, is a really good site to came for tourism and also for hunting. European hunters can also apply for the lotery on the hunting reserves and I think that can participate at permitts auctions.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Thanks for the kind words!
ignasi1994 wrote: Nice drilling and nice roe deer!
Thanks, but it's an over/under. More info here: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=590581
ignasi1994

Post by ignasi1994 »

Knut wrote:Thanks for the kind words!
ignasi1994 wrote: Nice drilling and nice roe deer!
Thanks, but it's an over/under. More info here: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=590581
yes, i see, i thank that was a drilling. Insert barrels are not allowed in my country D:, our guns laws are the worst of the worst...

Return to “The Great Outdoors”