What kind of events would you like to see?

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

What kind of events would you like to see?

Post by Alena Rybik »

During each of the past events we were receiving a fair share of critique regarding the format, requirements, concept, target group of players etc. So, in order to make our future events better and more appealing to everyone, I wanted to ask for your input and suggestions on this. Unleash your inner game designers and share with us an idea or a format of an event that would appeal to different group of players (guests / members, experienced / newbies), will be fun, challenging and doable AND will comply with the functionality we currently have (eg. "true" multilayer competitions, guilds, and tracer arrows with unicorn flare can be left out).

We promise to consider all suggestions, but please be constructive.
phil1
Hunter

Re: What kind of events would you like to see?

Post by phil1 »

The general event structure that you already have is good, however, there is usually one or more loopholes that can be exploited and influence the result in a way not foreseen by the designers. My suggestion is that you form a team of present players, probably the more experienced, trusted players - that's me out of the frame :D, and you run the event rules by them before implementation. They would of course not be allowed to divulge any information to the rest of us before the official announcement. This should point out any flaws in event concepts and close any loopholes before the event is announced, we the players should shoulder some of the bug checking and proof reading type burden and not just leave it to the Devs.

Trying to achieve a balance of difficulty levels for beginners vice experienced could be achieved by using the 3 competition categories that are already in place Beginner, Intermediate and Elite. These daily competitions could have different points/weights of the animals to qualify for the competition. i.e 900 point feral hog for beginner, 1025 point for intermediate and 1150 for elite, this would take into account the tracking and spotting levels that are usual in each category.

I'm not sure if this would be possible, or how to implement it, but how about a two person team event? One player should have a minimum Hunterscore and the other person should have a maximum Hunterscore (set very low), this way a new player can join a more experienced player for a MP competition with a combined result.

A way round the 'I don't have that weapon for that competition' (I know and appreciate that you put the required kit on sale for these events - thanks.) might be to have the team event where only one of the two players need to shoot the animal to qualify for the team result, the other player can assist by finding, tracking and spotting a good specimen and calling in the other player for the kill.

The 'Beast of ....' type finale to a recent comp (Halloween - I think) was a hoot and I'd like to see more of this type in the coming events.

If any of this sounds negative, I apologise, it was intended as constructive.
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Post by Jack.Grave »

First of all: Its pretty hard to please everyone. I believe main target audience for such events and missions will be Joe "Average" Hunter who have quite limited time budget. In general most succesfull format is mix of missions and daily competitions (most likely both of them running in paralell). Game design wise most succesfull event was Summer Fiesta 2014 (except mission Doc's Steps In). One year was there Christmass event where player recieve kinda lotery ticket from every mission/comp and first prize was 1 year membership (3 ticktes are of given coulour was needed for such prize, combination of various ticket awards prizes). For me succesfull event will prevent "farming" by collecting points by number of kills or items found. Any mission(s) may follow some kinda story line and completely shall avoid tricky shots with some weapons and or from unreasonable distances (e.g. Reindeer at 75 m with Parker Python Bow). Another point events shall build up comutity spirit by sharing tips and tricks in forums and or in public MP games.
Jack
Sergeri
Spotter

Post by Sergeri »

Hello, great idea to make this post, here is my suggestion:

To make a short event (3-4 days max) that does not require any specific weapons or gears.
This would greatly please the entire community, I think so anyway.
You could keep the rewards to a minimum, just trophies and a small additional thingy for the player who finishes first.

I believe it would send a strong signal to the community " hey this one is really open to anyone"
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Thanks for running this by the community Alena!

If you ask people about what sort of event they would prefer, they immediately think about their own situation. Do they have the required time? Do they have the required skills or experience? Do they want to spend money on something? It should be possible for everyone to at least get something out of it. Giving out the event trophies is great, because everyone can get one. They can either achieve this by owning the required weapons, and then go and just shoot one animal for each competition, or by grinding, in this case doing heart shots. I think this is a fair deal. No one should blame you for requiring certain weapons. Instead they should be grateful for the discounts. But that is another story. :)

Long story short, if there is no loophole like the goose farming last time, the events are cool the way they are. There will always be people with more time than others. Limiting the comps to only 5 attempts levels this out a bit though.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

Thanks for opening the discussion,

The main problem for me is the weapons restrictions, unlike some long time users or more fortunate ones i have multiples weapons for multiple tasks in game but each of those events require always weapons i don't have and weapon I don't even want either, because i already have a rifle filling this role perfectly or because i have no special attraction for the required rifle, so outside those challenges and events i will no use them in game and even if i had the financial opportunities to get them they are not on my list of things I'll buy.

The thing is that you, (not you personally but the game), come with something like : " it came this special time of the year, we will celebrate with events, comps etc etc "
but those who will be able to fully participate in those events are those who own the majority of the items available on the store, ( i don't speak about winning the events, just fully participate in them ), guys like me who have a few riles, various stands and other tools etc but not the majority of the rifles available in the store are like second zone customers during those events... Wanna participate fully in the event ? buy this and this even if you don't like this rifle or don't need it at all and will never use it after ...

Only your "first class" customers can participate fully in most of the events , and i speak of just participating, not running for the top positions, of course it is possible to get the lowest trophy, you will miss a lot of tasks because you don't have the rifle and compensate with something else like heart shots on the current one, or find someone kind enough to let you harvest the required animal killed by weapon x or y needed , but the feeling in the end is always the same : despite having a membership, despite buying regularly some little things, of course not as much as some with better wallets, but despite contributing to the game as being a paying customer we stay and remain second class customers during those events not being able to participate fully as we don't own a large proportion of the store items...

Don't worry i am perfectly aware of this and now know how this company do the things for guys like me who are not from the first class category, you have your business plan and you do what ever please you of course, it's a strategy to create needs and it's your right to do it this way, but let's take holiday 2014 previous event, i started to do it and had fun completing tasks just for the challenge it was, i was not trying to get on leader-board, then came one day i couldn't do it as not having the weapon, then same thing next day etc etc, in the end i not simply stopped to participate in the event but stopped to play the game for more than one month and came back a couple of weeks ago ... I could have got the lowest trophy for sure, but why even bother when each day you are just reminded that you are a non valuable customer, just a second zone one, so i went to other things disgusted by those events that we can't celebrate fully...

Those events create a feeling that i am not considered as a full valuable customer as not having invested massively enough in the store for things i don't even care about or don't like by the design for example, it's just that when you make events to celebrate something special at a certain period of the year you create those categories of valuable customers and second class customers that are worth not much, at least that's how i take it, and again it's not even to get a chance to enter on the top scoreboard for those events, just to get a similar chance to participate fully during all the event in all the competitions/ tasks, not having to skip half of the things because you need x or y rifle for whom you have no need or no attraction at all.

This is not a rant or whine like i could see posted elsewhere, just how i see it and how i feel each time with those events, it's fun as long as you can accomplish the tasks, once you cannot anymore because you need rifle x and y it's not fun anymore for me and completely loose it's interest after skipping one or 2 days for a lack of rifle you don't even want to have in game.

Those events tasks need to be fully accessible and accomplished by the vast majority of your customers and not only the 1st class who own all the store items or almost all items.

Thanks for at least reading, and again it's not against how this company do the things, it's them choice to do what ever please them, it's just about the feelings those events leave on me each time i see you need weapon x-y that i couldn't care less about in game, but preventing me from participating in the celebration event you made, current event with heart points gifted is a good idea, still i will loose my interest on this after a couple of competitions i can't access, first day with bears i done it and had fun, today i can't as not having one of the rifles needed, tomorrow I will see what is needed, but i know i will loose all interest and be out of the event if more things come that i can't do.

Thanks
JamesMc
Tracker

Post by JamesMc »

I'd like to see the special Holiday events open to weapon types that come with a membership. I think limiting it to paid for weapons is not great for the community. I understand the need to sell stuff, I'd just like to see it at different times. I think that would benefit the community.

Overall I think you all do a great job. And I really liked that you would even ask the members.
Felix87v
Spotter

Post by Felix87v »

HooCairs wrote: There will always be people with more time than others.
I agree, but how can anyone compete with someone who plays 10 hours a day or more, when the easiest way to win a competition is to harvest as much animals as you can?
It would be nice if some event competitions had different concepts...not all, but some!
I agree with eveything rest you said.
Cheers! :D
LordBazooka
Hunter

Post by LordBazooka »

Reduce/remove the grind, which favors hardcore players. Focus on hunting skills. Everything else is already fine with me.
Sulfurblade
Hunter

Post by Sulfurblade »

I will use the current Valentines Event as a template of how I believe it could be improved upon.

1) Most importantly Tell us a Week ahead of time the event is going to happen on the Main Page, On Steam, In the General Discussion Forum Stickied... Not hidden in a news hyperlink.

2) Show us the breakdown of Said competition So we can prepare IE Buy Bait for Bear feeders if the comps will be for bears, this would make you money!!!

3) Don't eliminate the ability for everyone to compete because of weapon limitations!
If you want to sell your weapon then give it a boon during the competition for example using Any Anschütz rifle will earn you 1 heart for every animal killed with it during the Black Bear competition regardless of shot placement. Get one while its on sale yada yada etc....
But yet allow the main point of the comp to be accomplished with whatever other rifles are technically ethical for that species.

Other then that I think you all are doing fine most of the time with the competitions....

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”