New Blogs

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
cadetter
Spotter

Re: New Blogs

Post by cadetter »

Lematron,

There ya go bud I almost sent ya off a book in an e-mail, lol. Once again can't wait to get my hands on this game!
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

cadetter wrote:Lematron,

There ya go bud I almost sent ya off a book in an e-mail, lol. Once again can't wait to get my hands on this game!
Well - good luck then, man.

I am sure- though, that plenty more people here are eagerly awaiting to be selected for beta, too - for probably many different reasons. Interest to get hands on the game asap is certainly the common denominator to all of us, I guess, but with the remainig motivation this is not so clear - some may even speculate that it will bring some advantages later on for game acces (and game success?). Well - my be, may not be.

I rather suppose that it is quite a difficile task to select the "right" people - from the viewpoint of the game developer. And I am absolutely confident that they will have their own set of parameters to do so. I would really hesitate, thererfore, to "sell" myself so obviously as others do. I will just trust that my comments are read here, and do speak their language. If that is not enough, then the louder crowd will win - as often in life. That's OK, too. In the end, the result is what counts. Beta testers just should know that they carry their own load of responsibility. If the game succeeds - well then it's their success a bit as well. But if the game fails - then it's vice versa. And people should be as open and frank then (as they probably would be in the success case) to admit their contribution.

The example with DHT is still fresh in everybody's memory. How could such a game - with it's doubtless good starting ideas and also - in many parts - well intended animation features - go gold in such an obvious premature stage of development? There must have been beta testers, (I was not one of them), who signalled the "go" - why was there nobody of them at least (apart from 1-2 individuals in one or two small cases) who took the time to make some deeper explanations afterwards - given that the developers disappeared in total silence? Why was it the community of customers who could - from the very first day of playing (if at all they could get the game to run) found all tose major and minor bugs which were so obvious? Where was the communication in advance of the release?

Well - this is not the right place to talk about DHT, I know. And TH has the correct policy in being PRESENT and open to discuss matters, which takes a lot of their time, but will pay off later for sure. So - what -- erm - were we originally talking about? Oh - the beta tester issue! The only thing I wanted to say is: Everybody who is - or will be - selected should be aware that there is quite some resposnibility connected to this from the first day of "play", which should - in all enthusiasm - not be neglected.
kirisute
Hunter

Post by kirisute »

alot of the time BETA testing is hampered simply by monetary constraints....the BETA testers do their job fully but the company itself cannot afford to act on the changes and bugs simply because if the game slips too far then BIG money starts to be lost. It becomes a balancing act between a fucntional game with a few bugs (greater or lesser) or a perfect game that is released very late at a huge cost due to that lateness.
The good thing wit what we are seing in The Hunter is that no specific dates have been given....so even though i am sure financial outlays are being made, the companies involved are not being forced into a release to make money whilst releasing a broken product.
With ATARI you can bet that Southlogic had a deadline and if they didnt hit it they would get fines. Thats what causes such releases...on top of that a multi platform production will usually have its own headaches of one form or another.

as for the thoughts behind BETA testing...i was part of the Crysis BETA, as well as Dawn of War and various others including a few MMO's and for me its always been about helping the DEVS create a better product. Yes its great to be the first to get your grubby mits on new stuff before anybody else but, at least for me, im there to do a job. the honour is to play with new tech...the cost of that honour is to do the testing required to help the devs. if done correctly its a job plain and simple.
LeMetatron
Outfitter

Post by LeMetatron »

Hi Guys starting to see some serious subject creep here.

I would suggest some either switching to the How do "you" Beta Test Thread in the Off-Topic Section or if someone would like to start a thread in the Tips/Guides section about people's experiences of Beta Tests. :D
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

LeMetatron wrote:Hi Guys starting to see some serious subject creep here.
This is fully true. :D But when I was reading the whole long discussion just before my own posting, I started to get the impression that this thread is to become a market place for offering beta tester help, and so I could not hold off to make my own little contrubution (or rather comment ) :lol: ....

EDIT: I have to admit that I did not see this other thread at all so far.... I usually read the closer TH-related items, and tend to ignore the others :o
Last edited by MonacoSteve on December 17th, 2008, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
kirisute
Hunter

Post by kirisute »

i blame it on my age...im going prematurely senile!
i dont even know what forum this is im posting in! :twisted:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”