The trick to pheasants

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Modifly1
Tracker

The trick to pheasants

Post by Modifly1 »

Hi all, I've recently decided to try airborne pheasant shooting as that's the proper way to get 'em. However lately I've been feeling as though nothing short of a goalkeeper CIWS equipped with a GAU-8 30mm rotary cannon will be enough to get one. Don't get me wrong, I have done it. But today I fired 10 shots of twelve gauge and got only 1 pheasant...which was a female and not the nice rare looking one I did see. I have got the trusty 10 gauge except the sights aren't fantastic and the ammo costs money compared to twelve gauge which is free. I've tried aiming in front, behind, bang on and it still refuses to hit 'em. I've tried side on, behind, in front, close up, further out and still had limited success getting them. What exactly is the trick to improving the batting average? I can do pretty good at the skeet range except the skeets generally go a lot faster than the pheasants and also follow a parabolic trajectory...unlike pheasants which seem to fly in a continuous climb until they are ready to land again. Even those I have hit sometimes don't go down at all and take the hit. So again, what's the deal? I do intend to get the pump action when it next ends up on sale but it's no good if I can't hit anything. There exists a book called 101 shooting excuses for exactly my situation...I don't intend on using them.

-thanks all.

This is my rifle...it's a Mauser...it mauses.
Bort
Scout

Re: The trick to pheasants

Post by Bort »

Modifly1 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 6:26 pmWhat exactly is the trick to improving
Practice at the clay ranges. Practice practice practice until you can down every clay it gives per round, or close to it.
That's what I did. It helped improve my shots per hit average getting any kind of airborne bird downed. The clays help figure out how to lead the shot based on which direction they're going. The fact that the clays/skeets are as fast as they are significantly helps in a live situation because the live situation with a real bird is slower. If we get good at the clay ranges downing the birds is much easier because they're slower than the clays.

In my opinion Magpie are the fastest in the game. I think they're close to the same speed as the skeets at ranges.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

When they take to the air, wait until they have streightened out in flight. Shoot below them and ahead of them at an upward angle. That way they will fly into your birdshot. Hope that helps. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Operation_Petticoat

Post by Operation_Petticoat »

You don't have to lead the target very much. I aim from the tip of their nose out to maybe one head length ahead of the bird.
And make sure you are aiming with the bead sight, not covering the bird with the barrel. That will make you shoot high.

Pheasants are frustrating, especially for a new player. But, once it clicks, you'll down them in droves!
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

It can vary based on your system. I get a little bit of lag when shooting birds flying along the ground compared to up in the sky, so I always have to retrain myself to lead them a little more when I try to hunt pheasants (or ptarmigans flying low).
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Well I can say the trick for me that seems to work well in the tutorial is to be in front of and slightly to one side of the bird when I flush them. It gives me time to line up a shot. However I have noticed some odd flight behavior. Sometimes I've seen pheasants literally flying backwards for a few seconds on some occasions and I very rarely have them actually take off exactly in the direction they were pointing in despite what the wiki says. There's always some kind of angle that they end up setting up on me.

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Yeah, they do some flight acrobatics for a moment then they streighten out. They go right to left and streight usually, it does take a bit of practice and patience. But, once you figure out their flight patterns, it becomes easier with each one that you shoot in the air. Good luck, and keep at it. You'll get it figured out. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

In my opinion the easiest way is to align with the pheasant from the back. If there is no obstacle in front they typically will fly straight away. Keep running and draw your Shotgun. Let them rise to the highest point and than sink into your red dot or crosshair (for some reason this does not work really good with open sights)
Spoiler:
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

I gotta be honest, my front on shots work pretty well. I suck at tail first shots. I find I get one attempt and I usually screw it up. The front on ones have been very promising lately. I actually managed to get more air kills than ground today. I get in front (when they don't decide to takeoff anyway), go to one side slightly and then whistle. That usually gives me time to line up a shot. On the tutorial, there is a single pheasant that always spawns in at the start. Best streak I got was 14 in a row of 1 shot 1 kill scenarios. I may have had to miss a few shots and wait for another opportunity but when I fired I hit.

Frankly I do feel that logger's point isn't the best for these guys. Very hilly terrain and those pheasants do some interesting things with those. Hirschfelden may give me better luck as 'pheasant corner' is mostly flat land and far more promising. All the same I've done better than usual today. I did have a feral hog blindside me from nowhere though. I drew my 10mil and tried running away and I still couldn't deal with him. Not sure what I'm supposed to do in that situation. He gave me about a second to runaway before it got ugly. Used a medkit, continued getting my desired pheasant...which I did...then ensured that little piggy went to market. Second time I've been attacked now by one and I still haven't been able to get my ten mil on 'em.

Operation_Petticoat

Post by Operation_Petticoat »

Modifly1 wrote: May 17th, 2024, 6:52 pm Best streak I got was 14 in a row of 1 shot 1 kill scenarios. I may have had to miss a few shots and wait for another opportunity but when I fired I hit.

Frankly I do feel that logger's point isn't the best for these guys. Very hilly terrain and those pheasants do some interesting things with those. Hirschfelden may give me better luck as 'pheasant corner' is mostly flat land and far more promising. All the same I've done better than usual today. I did have a feral hog blindside me from nowhere though. I drew my 10mil and tried running away and I still couldn't deal with him. Not sure what I'm supposed to do in that situation. He gave me about a second to runaway before it got ugly. Used a medkit, continued getting my desired pheasant...which I did...then ensured that little piggy went to market. Second time I've been attacked now by one and I still haven't been able to get my ten mil on 'em.
14 in a row does NOT sound like you're having a problem!

Definitely agree on Logger's Point. Hirschfelden is way easier to shoot pheasants, both from the standpoint of the flat open terrain and the fact that you will be a much better hunter by the time you work your way over there. As a newbie on Logger's Point, pheasants are really hard.

The hogs can really sneak up on you. Once you hear them squeal nearby, it's a rush to draw, turn and shoot before they get you. No hesitation!

Return to “General Chat”