Insane damage on the boosted 308s

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Luziano
Hunter

Insane damage on the boosted 308s

Post by Luziano »

I had those rifles lying around and decided to give them a shot this last month (I completely forgot about the boost they got not so long ago)... and Damn they hit as hard as the big calibers! The boost was pretty much needed, but the devs went overboard in my humble opinion, specially if you compare them with the similar yet (on real life) slightly more powerful 30-06s. In game now the 308s are way, but waay more powerful than the 30-06s.

What do you think about them?
Luziano
Hunter

Re: Insane damage on the boosted 308s

Post by Luziano »

Certainly my perception is what the performance char shows. For some reason the image is not linking, you can check the char here: https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_Performance
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I agree with you and have been saying it for awhile. The .308 is more like a .300 mag and I won't waste money on it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

OldMtnMan wrote: March 14th, 2024, 4:41 pm I agree with you and have been saying it for awhile. The .308 is more like a .300 mag and I won't waste money on it.
Yes! Pretty much the same comparison I have on my mind! It is true that the .308 tries to emulate the .300 ballistics, but the wounding power is not the same!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I had to go try this out - Now, I don't know if reading this made me see things I should have.
I took this long shot on a Fallow on Hirsch, 217m, he was kind of floating in air across a couple fields and brush lines. @217, hit in the ass while walking right to left and it fell over dead, :lol: ~ IDK man, 300 do that even? ~ I was never a 308 hater, might have been my first bought bolt action after the 30-06 lever. I always liked the Rival but, I love the real life cartridge, it's a badass.

I wasn't up on it at the time when I was new, but there was a lot of adjustments to weapons. I remember lots of bichn' about nerfing stuff, which I had no idea wth that meant :lol:
I recall a love-hate with the Parker bow. I bought it at a time it had been nerfed I guess? Tried hunting with it and was total garbage. The crossbow pistol we have today was more powerful. I btch'd a lot about it, wished I could put it in a barrel and burn it. And this stuff cost real money back in those days, people spent a lot of money as well. But then, I guess in a meeting, it was approved to increase the power to what we have today. It became an amazing piece for the game at that point and certainly a crowd favorite.

Shotguns are another one. What you know of today, is nothing like what I started with. Geese were the first new animal to come out as a noob, and I went bananas shooting geese. 75yd drops, trips and quads a plenty. But lots of back and forth, debate and division of groups on some realism/arcade BS argument. YOu know the type, race to the top of the moral high ground of superior dominion of thought~ In the end they cut the powder charge and so it shall be, so it is.

But IDK man, Not so sure I'd take that shot on a fallow at that distance, while walking if I had to have 100%HV for one of Brians comp's... HAHA! , nope, don't think so.

Slight change but I'm going to leave this anyhow because I think it's about as relevant. I made a few long shots with the Anschutz 8X57 ~ confused it with 308 - 8mm orange, 308 wood :D ~ Still, hit it in the center of the hind Q, int/stomach - through the hip? :lol: Weatherby maybe me says but I won't complain.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I did a little hunting with the 308, I wouldn't say it's overly powered. I had a hard time hitting anything at distance. Might have been invisible crap or massive bullet drop? It's no 300 based on one jaunt on BRR. But I'll try some more. I don't think it's the 8mm Mauser by any stretch.
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
Spoiler:
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

When I bought the hunter it came with the anschutz. 308. Back then it was a peashooter the average moose needed three shots.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I believe that knott~ back then, there weren't a lot of weapons in comparison to today. I remember there was a guiding rule of "game play" and giving plus and minus to aspects of every piece of equipment and weapons. I forget the term used, but that was the rule they used to infuse risk/reward.

I took the 308 back out for another hunt and I have a feeling my skl/lvl sucks on it, because I couldn't hit a barn hardly with it. But one thing doesn't make sense - the 308, only 2 scope options - the 8X57 Anschutz got all the cool scope choices.

Odd the cuff for me, I'd feel better taking the 243 and outshoot that 308.
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I dont have any problem with the 308 as it is now. I had a big problem with it before they boosted it. Originally when it came out it was a moose gun, released at the same time (thereabouts) and was quite capable for dropping Moose at its introduction. Then somehow it got downgraded with the reset of all the rifles.

I believe the problem arose with the introduction of the 308 pistol which originally used the same ammo as the rifle but many complained that the pistol was overpowered as it had the same power as the rifle, so they downgraded the pistol and some how the rifle lost power as well. Then of course the 308 pistol ammo was introduced and finally the 308 rifle ammo was 'boosted' back to what it is currently.

But Having used 270, 303, 30.06 and 308 in real life during my meat hunting days , I can say the difference between all these guns in real life Performance on Red deer and pigs out to 200 yards is such that it is negligible and you cant really find much difference in the field results. Dead is Dead. What more can you ask for.

Also because this is a game and not real life I find the current situation to be of no issue whatsoever.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Radamus wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 8:12 pm I believe that knott~ back then, there weren't a lot of weapons in comparison to today. I remember there was a guiding rule of "game play" and giving plus and minus to aspects of every piece of equipment and weapons. I forget the term used, but that was the rule they used to infuse risk/reward.

I took the 308 back out for another hunt and I have a feeling my skl/lvl sucks on it, because I couldn't hit a barn hardly with it. But one thing doesn't make sense - the 308, only 2 scope options - the 8X57 Anschutz got all the cool scope choices.

Odd the cuff for me, I'd feel better taking the 243 and outshoot that 308.
Yes it was just the. 270. 300 and 30-06 as competitors. The new. 308 looks good but all my moose shots means my old. 308 is high levelled and got quite competitive :)

The new is a wobble fest and of course worse magazine.

Return to “General Chat”