Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
knott
Outfitter

Re: Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Post by knott »

Decided to sponsor and got map pack 2. Still figure things out.

I spotted a wolf pack 250 metres away in my tripod. I had mouflon some 100-150 m away. Shot a female wolf I was after.

The Wolf pack spooked but the mouflon just change from calm to alerted but didnt run.

Love that there is random reactions and all is not black and white :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

See the issues with the badgers. Shouldn´t hunt them in the grasslands :D. Heard sounds and thought I must be stomping it right now. Saw the grass move but nothing else. Finally managed to spot her. Also roe seem to have very accute senses. Always runs for me.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Jesus christ these mature hogs and red deers are absolute tanks. Tried with .308 and .270 but it´s very hard to get any success. They survive lung shots at times. I am getting a bit frustrated with the 2 weapon limit. 3 would go a long way. Want a shotgun for level 1 but most of the times it´s get unused. Then you are stuck with 1 rifle for the rest of the spectrum. With 3 you can afford a tier 6 rifle. You are still compromised with 3 rifles but not nearly as much. Change strategy and go for a bow or crossbow that is 2-6 is a solution for the trophy animals I suppose.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Just found a leucistic lion. . 300 enough for lungshot at 500 metres but he didnt appear to ever go down. Third shot at close range finally did it.

Just a young should have waited taxidermy is crazy expensive cant afford it anyway.

Any tip on getting cape buffalo in range for bow shot. Having an entire herd not seeing you sneaking up seem Impossible seem better trying to provoke an attack. Question is how to best orchestrate it.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Northwest corner of matariki park was absolutely insane. feral pigs, wild boars, white tail, red deer, european hares, multiple herds, heard fallow dear, there was need zones for sika. Entire place pestered with need zones. Crazyness don´t believe I even encountered such action in cotw. You can stay there too it´s not like it´s done on your first shooting and you have to move on as it´s quite open with perfect hill in the middle. Absolutely bonkers. Certainly not the last time I go here but now off to the mountains for some feral goats.
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

I have never opened Africa or New Zealand. Not until I have all missions and tasks done on the first 3 maps. One left on Aurora. Shoot a duck flying over water with a crossbow..and female only. (am I back to theHunter...geeez) I'm at 112 shots and 1 male to show for it. Wait til you get to the Mouflon mission that requires a single shot at 600+ meters. I did mine at 616, heart shot. Also have a 5 Star Chamois at 546 meters. Heart shot. Go to game settings and turn foliage setting to LOW (doesn't change any other settings) and you will be able to see the badgers in their REST zones from 100+ meters. If you set up right, you can see them coming in. With the bow mission, I'm learning to use it pretty good on anything within 110m, except flying ducks of course.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Have to take them just as they take off maybe the easiest? and stand behind them so you get the trajectory.

5 star missions seem to be insanely tough as well. I very rarely see 3 stars. I do try to save the young and the high genes. A bit easier now that I unlocked level 2 callers to sort them out. Got a 5 star sambar but that was through a mission so it was spawned.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Hunting sika deer currently. Extremely tricky. They always hide and you need to get within 30 metres to spot them but no matter of conditions they spook at 60 metres. Seems no point actually trying to hunt them just have to trust pure luck. There is at least 3 callers that is supposed to work on them but I got none of them working so far. I have level 1 and level 2 stages unlocked. The deer bleat caller is supposed to work on everyone?

As for stars youngs is always 1 star, adults is always 1 stars, matures is 1 stars 95 % of the time. Yet as I understand it more then 50 % of the males will get to level 3 or above?
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

1st 1 km attempt. Didn´t get it animal survived sadly. Will stop cheating with hunter sense once I gone further with the missions though then it may actually be an accomplishment. But the bullet travel is several seconds so the animal have a lot of time to move.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Finally found my 2 star sika. A mature one travelling alone in the night. Per usual in the bushes so had to spook him out. I got a glimpse of him as he ran off and managed to spot his rating. He was actually returning once I got to his last known location ended up being a really bloody shot at 50 metres despite giving myself time to pick the right rifle. a .270 is overkill at this distance though still but thankfully calibre only affect hunt rating not trophy rating.

Main story done now back to Africa. I have mixed luck with callers. I guess it´s a random factor weither the animals are attracted to the caller or not. Having access to both low and high range I should have the spectrum covered :)

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”