Release Trigger on Compound Bows

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Release Trigger on Compound Bows

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thanks for agreeing with me Dan. Yes, changing the code won't work. I was hoping for an easier fix.

The traditional and compound bows do use different methods to shoot. With the traditional you just hit the mouse button and it fires. The compound fires with a push and then a release.

Just make the compound bow fire like the traditional bows. Fire when button is pushed for all bows.

The confusion comes from mixing up what we do with really firing the traditional bows. Yes, in the real bows we pull the string and then release it to fire. That's not what we do in the game. We simply push the mouse button to fire. Crossbows fire with just a push. Rifles, shotguns, and handguns all fire with just a push of the mouse button. Why should the compounds bows be different? Make all weapons fire with just a mouse button push. Simple.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Compounds are not different. The traditional bows can be fired with the hold and release, or tap the button for instant release. The compounds are exactly the same.

OldMtnMan says..........Thanks for agreeing with me Dan. Yes, changing the code won't work. I was hoping for an easier fix.

You really are a stubborn old goat. LOL.
What could be an easier fix than retraining your self to just tap the bloody mouse button.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Too many years of training, including from Uncle Sam to change how I shoot now. No problem. I'll use the Tenpoint if I want to sling an arrow. Truth is. I love guns and prefer to use them.

I brought this up because I thought a release trigger on a bow was silly and dangerous. So, have fun and tap away. :)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

To be honest I didn't even know holding the mouse button until ready to shoot and letting go to release arrow was a thing until this thread LOL
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You probably wouldn't if you just tap the trigger.

No matter now. I started a new account and I have no bows now. I won't buy anymore.

Actually, i'm going to do my best to stick to just one gun. 30R
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

OldMtnMan wrote:You probably wouldn't if you just tap the trigger.

No matter now. I started a new account and I have no bows now. I won't buy anymore.

Actually, i'm going to do my best to stick to just one gun. 30R
I thought you were doing the old fashioned hunt with the muzzy and such?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I did, but I get along with the in game caplock. The real gun the game copied it not a gun i'd ever buy. If it was a replica of a real Hawken like I used i'd gladly use it all the time.

My interest is just deer and elk. The 30R is perfect for those. It's just a bit hotter than the 30-06 but less than the .300 mag. I like it.

I still do my no aids hunting and wear the buckskins. I just won't use the caplock. More like a modern mountain man instead of one from the early 1800's.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

OldMtnMan wrote:I bought the Pulsar bow and for some unknown reason it has a release trigger. Some explanation is needed for those who don't know.

On a compound bow the trigger you pull is not part of the bow. It's a separate device you wear on your wrist. This is what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Archery-Compound ... B09JNMH548

As you can see it's called a Compound Release Trigger. This is what complicates my question. In a rifle or shotgun a release trigger does not fire the gun when you pull the trigger. It fired when you release the trigger. So, to shoot the gun you pull the trigger and hold it pulled. You aim the gun and when ready to shoot you release the tension on the trigger and the gun fires. That's why it's called a release trigger. It's fired when you release it. I made a living in the 70's Trap Shooting and used a release trigger.
All the bows do that. I believe the devs made it that way so we can decide not to shoot after we left click. If we right-click while holding left-click (the trigger) the bow drops and does not fire. I actually like that feature because it allows us to prevent wasting an arrow on a bad shot as well as spooking everything nearby because of a poorly placed shot that doesn't drop the target immediately.
I never thought of it as representing a trigger accessory for a bow I thought of it as representing the same options we have using our fingers to pull and release a bow.
We'd have no option other than to fire once we pulled if it didn't work the way it does. Being able to change our mind and not fire is a handy feature. We can avoid the delay if we want by tapping left-click as you said.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Right click draws the bow back. We can hold it as long as we want. Another right click lowers the bow if we change our mind. The left click should be reserved for just firing. No need to make it two steps.

The crossbows are correct. Why should the other bows e different. Shooting a bow in game should be like shooting a real bow. The same as guns.

Make all the excuses you want. The devs got it wrong. Real bows don't use release triggers because it would be dangerous. It's dangerous enough using a release trigger in a gun. Anybody who uses a release trigger in a gun has accidently fired it at least once. That includes me. Lucky for me and anybody else. I just shot the ground.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

OldMtnMan wrote:Right click draws the bow back. We can hold it as long as we want. Another right click lowers the bow if we change our mind. The left click should be reserved for just firing. No need to make it two steps.

The crossbows are correct. Why should the other bows e different. Shooting a bow in game should be like shooting a real bow. The same as guns.

Make all the excuses you want. The devs got it wrong. Real bows don't use release triggers because it would be dangerous. It's dangerous enough using a release trigger in a gun. Anybody who uses a release trigger in a gun has accidently fired it at least once. That includes me. Lucky for me and anybody else. I just shot the ground.
We can't hold it as long as we want, the bow drops and then goes back to being undrawn. Personally don't have an issue with the way the devs have used the mouse for bows, don't have to worry if mouse moves & goes off target which could see happening if was just one click.

Return to “General Chat”