What's up with the lynx?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: What's up with the lynx?

Post by DanthemanBoone »

OldMtnMan wrote:That's how hunting should be. If it's too predictable it becomes too easy and boring.
Hunting is easy. Having to carry out anything bigger than a rabbit gets hard.
:D :D

But getting back to lynx, yes they appear to have gone to the same place the pumas have gone. Several hunts without even any sign or calls in areas that were full of them.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Probably hanging out with the elk from RFF. I think they found a new map to live on. When do we get that map?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Went for a hunt to see if the lynx problem was similar to my puma problem.
Using the jackrabbit caller when they called, to get their attention, then placing the electronic caller at an ambush site.
Shot five lynx, Actually six, because one was shot with the wrong weapon, all of which responded normally. Spooked one and missed one but both came back and were killed after following them and resetting the ambush. All were found along the border from the furthest north west corner to Orms sten.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dant ... statistics

Now, does anyone know where the bloody Pumas have gone.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

trulight wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:That's how hunting should be. If it's too predictable it becomes too easy and boring.
Hunting in real life is easy a good majority of the time, the animals don't stand a chance LOL. Hence a buck every year for the last 20 years :P
Depends on where you hunt. I can take you on a hunt that you won't say was easy.

Actually, I couldn't come close to doing the hunt anymore at my age. I can have one of my younger hunter friends take you. :)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

OldMtnMan wrote:
trulight wrote:
Hunting in real life is easy a good majority of the time, the animals don't stand a chance LOL. Hence a buck every year for the last 20 years :P
Depends on where you hunt. I can take you on a hunt that you won't say was easy.

Actually, I couldn't come close to doing the hunt anymore at my age. I can have one of my younger hunter friends take you. :)
NEVER too old to hunt brother, ya just gotta get more creative hehe, and bring a recliner :P
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

trulight wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
trulight wrote:

NEVER too old to hunt brother, ya just gotta get more creative hehe, and bring a recliner :P
I always said that until last year. Med problems have gotten too bad. It's a struggle to just take the dog out now.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

lynx are just like that. sometimes you cannot find one in 3-4 sessions. I just finished my 100 lynx achievement that i was working on for months. in my last session two came to the caller in 10 minutes and i found track of at least five after i went out for some ptarmigans. So there is nothing wrong with the spawn.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Just did a lynx competition and they came to the e-caller just nicely. I see no issues with it.

I am sure you are aware, but if anyone does not realize it. Lynxes are extremely skittish and will detect you from far. Stay at least 30m away from a caller, on use a treestand.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Strange enough, I had another one that can just under my tree stand and ignored the caller.

I will have an eye on that, but first off all I thank all of you for the feedback.
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Yeah, I think you just gotta put in the time. I have hardly ever hunted Lynx or Bobcats specifically, mainly because of the insane amount of time you have to wait for them to come in, and when I do I ground hunt, and set my ambush prone from the top of a rock. I have shot a lot of those I have harvested at less than 40 m with the 12g and buckshot, but lately I have been using the 223 semi and shooting them at a greater distance and cut down on the time factor.

I finally located the Pumas. Why they are all jammed into one small corner of the map I find to be a strange way of distributing them. Tonight, in one hunt, I shot 4 in something like 500 yards along a track. In all the preceding seasons I had only ever found 1 in that area.

The area I hunted last season is now totally bereft of any Puma sign at all. There is no way I can believe that spawning areas of some animals are not being shifted around at seasonal changes.
I think I will uplift that tent and wait to see where they go next season.

Return to “General Chat”