7mm-08 Scout vs 7mm magnum Bullpup

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Mattb85
Spotter

7mm-08 Scout vs 7mm magnum Bullpup

Post by Mattb85 »

I'm considering picking up a long-range rifle. I'm thinking either the 7mm-08 Scout or the 7mm magnum Bullpup. On paper they both seem to be pretty viable long-range guns but without using them it's hard to be sure.

How do these two cartridges stand up to each other? Which has better performance on game? Least amount of drop?

Scout rifle:
Pros
- Can hunt smaller game such as foxes and small cats.
- Has built in bipod for prone shooting
Cons
- has two different ammo types which are legal for different animals
- not legal for bison and banteng

Bullpup:
Pros
- Can hunt bison and banteng
Cons
- Not legal for foxes and small cats.

Thank you
-Matt
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Re: 7mm-08 Scout vs 7mm magnum Bullpup

Post by Dr_ViEr »

I don't own the scout rifle, but if you search the forum, there are a lot of complains about the usability of the bipod.
The bullpub is a great gun and - another pro - requested for some missions.
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

7mm mag is a much more powerful round that the 7mm-08. If you want to hunt for small game the 7mm mag is not your pick. If you want to take long shots at larger game. The 7mm is your choice.

To know the power of a round you can look at recoil.

7mm-08............12lbs
7mm mag..........20lbs

To put that in perspective. The 7mm-08 kicks like a 30-30. The 7mm mag kicks between a 30-06 and a .300 mag.

I'm talking real ammo. How close the game got the ballistics I don't know but in looking at the animals they kill it looks like they got it close.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Let me also add if you're not convinced. Head to head 7mm mag vs .300 mag at long range? The 7mm mag wins.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

Scout rifle has very serious problems with usability. Ironicay bipod forces you to shot while crouching most of the time as it automatically deploys while prone. And it has most expensive ammo of all rifles. It's a fun rifle, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take it as my main long range gun.

7mm magnum is pretty standard gun by performance in this game. Good, but nothing extraordinary. If to choose between these two, I would take it. But frankly there's better rifles. Like .308, which is a beast. Extraordinary penetration. Or .30R break-action, which is a favorite of mine. Kills any permitted species without any problem and has fastest follow-up shot if needed.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Check out the range leaderboards and you see what rifles are being used the most.
Most of them put a lot of effort into long range shooting so they know best what works in the game.
Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

herajika wrote:Scout rifle has very serious problems with usability. Ironicay bipod forces you to shot while crouching most of the time as it automatically deploys while prone. And it has most expensive ammo of all rifles. It's a fun rifle, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take it as my main long range gun.

7mm magnum is pretty standard gun by performance in this game. Good, but nothing extraordinary. If to choose between these two, I would take it. But frankly there's better rifles. Like .308, which is a beast. Extraordinary penetration. Or .30R break-action, which is a favorite of mine. Kills any permitted species without any problem and has fastest follow-up shot if needed.
How does the 308, 30R, and 7mm mag compare when it comes to bullet drop over 250 meters?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I use the 30R and only the 30R, except for the caplock. At 250m you can hold dead on. I've never shot anything with the 30R that didn't drop on the spot.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

herajika wrote:Scout rifle has very serious problems with usability. Ironicay bipod forces you to shot while crouching most of the time as it automatically deploys while prone. And it has most expensive ammo of all rifles. It's a fun rifle, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take it as my main long range gun.

Pretty sad that the .308 is outperforming the 7mm mag. They really got that one wrong. The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:

Pretty sad that the .308 is outperforming the 7mm mag. They really got that one wrong. The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
It was overcompensation. .308 was horrible rifle, that sometimes couldn't penetrate animal skin from point blank. That was because it shared ammo with .308 pistol. They separated ammo for rifles and pistols and buffed rifle ammo beyond any realistic possibility. Now it could pass through brown bear from head up to butt with a shot from 200m. I stopped using it because frankly it's kind of ridiculous.

Return to “General Chat”