30R Is A Good Gun

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: 30R Is A Good Gun

Post by JimboCrow »

We're really hoping it heals up properly and your vision clears up Pete. Hang in there buddy. Sorry you're in such discomfort.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Compared to the broken back this is nothing Jimbo. I think i'm whining too much. I'm just disappointed it didn't turn out better. I was looking forward to good vision again.

I can at least hunt in Classic. I just started a hunt and up close to the screen and reading glasses I can see ok. Not open sight ok but scope ok. Foolishly, i'm going to give that dang caplock another chance. I really want to hunt 1840 style and the caplock has to be part of that. I should stay out of comps though. Just hunt for myself and have fun. No matter how many attempts I have left, what the elk scores or weighs none of that hunting by someone else's rules. Just me and the elk and no aids. Testing each other. Good stuff.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

Based on the link below, I think a bit of spam has slipped through. I'll clean it up.

How's the eye, Pete?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Can you delete my above post? It makes no sense now.

Eye is the same. Blurry when I wake up and doesn't clear up for 5-6 hours. It never gets as good as it did for the first two days. That doesn't seem normal to me but i'm waiting it out hoping it improves. I', typing by the braille method right now. :)

Thanks for asking.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

Post taken care of.

Sounds like an absolute pain. After my cross-linking surgery, my vision got better and worse at strange times for a while. Did settle down eventually, but I have to wear contact lenses or I can't even see that there's an eye chart in the room ;) Still, lenses might be an option if you need clearer vision after the healing's finished?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

They have options of what lens to put in before the surgery. They gave me a choice. In focus up to 20ft or 20ft to infinity. I choice up to 20ft as that would work for everyday living at home tv watching, cooking etc. Then I can get distance glasses for outdoors, driving etc. Because of my age I tend to spend more time indoors now and it's great to have such clear vision for all i'm doing. I can't believe how good TV looks now when the blurriness isn't there. Computer too. I look forward to the day the blurriness is gone completely.

A good hunter has to be very patient. I find that much easier than being patient about my eyesight. I'm trying.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

Hang in there. Blurriness could be your brain/eye adjusting to a new standard of vision.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to be patient about actively doing something than just waiting.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm just confused why the first two days I woke up and had clear vision and from the 3rd day on it's blurry. Oh well, what do I know? I'll wait it out.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'm just confused why the first two days I woke up and had clear vision and from the 3rd day on it's blurry. Oh well, what do I know? I'll wait it out.
Sounds like your brain decided clear wasn't "normal" and adjusted it back to blurry for you :lol:

Hope it all works out for you Pete.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I have a new plan. To save myself the frustration of the caplock i'll use the 30r from now on with a twist. Using the 30R for long shots makes it too easy. So, in honor of the Hawken i'll use the 30R like I did the caplock. No stands or blinds. No scopes or sprays.

I used to love hunting with modern CF rifles with open sights. I'll go back to that and luckily, the 30R has nice open sights. It will be a better bear charging gun without a scope too. Win win.

I think guns look better without a scope. They're lighter, so easier to carry and shoulder. Balance feels like what the gun was made to be. I can count with one finger the times I hunted with a scope. It's all I needed to know I didn't like it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”