One tough fox.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

One tough fox.

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Having a quick run around on winterime with the 45.70 and the 243 to fill up my signature kill record. Spotted a running artic fox in the distance that stopped fleeing way out on the side of a clear snow face. So because an artic fox was needed I Went prone and lined it up and drilled him fair up the exhaust pipe. He just stood there and froze. Stood up and started walking towards him then half way there got the naughty naughty message that 45.70 is not permitted for fox.
OH Bugger.
Meanwhile the fox is still standing there and didn't move until I got right up to him and killed him with the 243.
How a fox can stay alive with a 45.70 inserted in his fundamental orifice I will never Know.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Re: One tough fox.

Post by FullDiesel »

Well, ya know foxes are deceitful beings, they do all this crazy stuff fooling the eye. In a more serious note I think there's a bug involved here, that occurred when you've shoot it with unpermitted ammo.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

LOL I don't think there was any bug .That fox should have been buggered ... But he wasn't.
I must be getting too old for this game. Made the same mistake with a Dall ram ... and he definitely didnt argue.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I made that mistake all the time with the .340. I'd be hunting for elk and run across a high scoring deer and shoot it without thinking. We not only lose the animal but it's scored as a miss too.

Now, I use the 30R or caplock and i'm safe to shoot deer to moose without Doc yelling at me. I call them old man guns.

You win the old man award for shooting a fox with a 45/70. Congrats.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Hi Pete. Good to see you back again.
I Have reverted to 12g hunting unless im going after polar bears or cattle now.
Take two shotguns. Scoped semi with slugs and pump action primal with buckshot and the red dot.
you might like to try the slug scope on the semi. Even faster back up shot than the 30r.
Carry a packet of birdshot just in case there's pheasants, rabbits or Ptarmigan about.
love the buckshot for cats.
The shotguns are really top for close hunting in the tree lines.
Just finished a hunt on Timbergold and took 4 Elk bulls all with slugs and rolled over 500 kills, no drama.
Thanks for the award. hanging it on my desk above the screen.

If you ever want a change of pace come shoot some geese on my set up some time.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I have used the free shotgun on elk on a past account. I don't think a scope can be put on it but I wanted to use the open sights anyway. The gun worked good on elk and I always got a knockdown where I shot it.

For my present account I was going to use just one gun and the 30R was my pick. It's a good gun and that turned out to be the problem. It's too good and became boring. It was too easy and no challenge. From 10m to my longest shot of 224m it knocked everything down on the spot. As you know we call that DRT in real hunting. (dead right there)

So, yesterday I bought the caplock again. It's the most frustrating gun in the game for me. I know i've made good lung shots with it in the past that registered as body shots and the tracks ran out me getting a no kill registered. However, i'm not one to give up and i want to try it again be be extra extra careful with my shot placement and see if it is a bug or me. I love caplock muzzleloaders in real hunting and I want to use it in this game. Hopefully, I won't regret this decision of giving it another try.

Congrats again for your 45/70 fox award. :)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Yeah, it is good to see you back at it, OldMtnMan! I wish you the best of luck, and what a challenge it must be for Dan, shootin' everything with the shotty's. The more I read the two of you, the more I realize how crazy you both are... :lol: :lol: Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Getting old automatically qualifies you for being crazy.

As Popeye says...........I yam what I yam!
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

OldMtnMan wrote:Getting old automatically qualifies you for being crazy.

As Popeye says...........I yam what I yam!
Hahaahhaa, indeed. :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

DanthemanBoone wrote:LOL I don't think there was any bug .That fox should have been buggered ... But he wasn't.
I must be getting too old for this game. Made the same mistake with a Dall ram ... and he definitely didnt argue.
There is some kind of bug at Arctic Fox. Has happened to me couple times, one was with .357 and other .223. Same thing, I shot the fox even saw bullet hole on it but it just stood there until I took second shot closer. I don't know if it's when shot comes from certain angle, distance or what that caused it.

Return to “General Chat”