Is it possible to kill several birds from a long distance?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HunterDHA

Is it possible to kill several birds from a long distance?

Post by HunterDHA »

hello everyone, recently I saw a video (I don't remember where) in which a guy managed to kill several ducks using the plinkington 22 from afar without scaring them, my doubt is. It's still possible to do that, because I remember the video was kind of old. if it is still possible, does it work with other birds and what would the decoy scheme be like?
Andhii
Scout

Re: Is it possible to kill several birds from a long distance?

Post by Andhii »

It used to be a thing that a player could pick canada geese 1 by 1 with plinkington from their goose setup provided they were far enough not to spook them. The main strategy was to hunt in hirschfelden and at some point swing by the goose setup as alot goose had landed there and just kill them all for weapon skill / hs.

I dont think its possible today, the goose dying seems to scare others away.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
HunterDHA

Post by HunterDHA »

Andhii wrote:It used to be a thing that a player could pick canada geese 1 by 1 with plinkington from their goose setup provided they were far enough not to spook them. The main strategy was to hunt in hirschfelden and at some point swing by the goose setup as alot goose had landed there and just kill them all for weapon skill / hs.

I dont think its possible today, the goose dying seems to scare others away.

Hmm, I see, I have a magpie goose scheme and I was wondering if it also worked, but apparently not lol, but doesn't this only work with goose? or with duck was also affected? Thanks for the answer :D
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Real easy to take turkeys with the plinkerton or the grasshopper from fairly short distances like 100 m with out spooking others but you must get an instant kill otherwise the death throes will spook others close by. Easy because 100m is where the sights are set for the .22 and you can put your decoys out just past the spook range, Turkeys are real suckers for decoy set ups..
The geese appear to be somewhat spookier and harder to kill outright so 100m tends to be too close for them . Best to shoot from a tower or tripod at about 150m. Allow some time between shots or they will spook no matter what the distance. If you have a goose set up it dosnt take long to figure out where they will nearly always land, and set up a stand to shoot from.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

If you shoot birds on ground from 200m, surrounding birds will spook unless you manage an insta-kill with 0.0s wound time. However this is pretty hard to do, so most times the other birds will fly away.

You can manage this maybe with ducks, magpie geese or snow geese as they tend to be further apart from each other.

Canada geese have been broken for years and after landing, they no longer roam around. So they stand very close to each other and even if you insta-drop one, the others will spook.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
HunterDHA

Post by HunterDHA »

wow, had no idea about that, thank you all so much :D
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

HunterDHA wrote:wow, had no idea about that, thank you all so much :D
...and that is one reason why it's a good thing to belong to the forum- excellent answers from the experts! :D
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Michaelairjordan

Post by Michaelairjordan »

Thus was fixed about a year ago, setup a tower 120m away, the auto decoys would help break the Canadian geese apart, u picked them off with a plinkton and they never got scared, this unfortunately was fixed, but now if your in your duck blind and miss with shotgun do what flinter does and hit them with plinkton 200m plus away u can them still flying away
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

Is what he is asking for to kill possible two birds with one shot from long distance.
That is not possible. I have never been able to do that.

Return to “General Chat”