Flyers??

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Flyers??

Post by OldMtnMan »

Have you ever made what you were 100% positive was a good shot and have it register as a complete miss? In the past it happened to me with the .300 mag. I started a new account and never bought that gun again. I know the gun works perfect for you but that's not the point of this thread.

Well, it just happened again but this time with the .340 mag. A simple shot of 75m on a moose and bison. Big animals and big kill zones. A 10x power scope. An easy easy shot and when the gun fired to crosshairs were right on dead center of the lungs. I'm shocked at the animal not dropping on the spot. However, i'm beyond shocked when I get to the spot where the animal was standing when I shot it and there's no blood. Later when leaving the hunt it shows a miss. To make sure it's not me even though I know it's not I set up another similar shot and get the same results. I backed it up with the .300 by doing in on targets on the range. Every now and then it would shoot a flyer.

I don't know if it's my mouse, or something else in my system or the Classic install. This is the 2nd time this happened and with different guns. I'm losing interest in hunting in Classic but there's no other option right now and I have $1000 invested in it. I hate to give up on it.

Have you ever made what you were positive was a good shot and have it register as a miss? Maybe some of those body shots weren't really body shots but just a bug in the game. I have confidence in my shooting and I won't accept this is me just missing.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
xOEDragonx

Re: Flyers??

Post by xOEDragonx »

Yes, and I don't believe the issue is your hardware or the gun. Every time this has ever happened to me, it's because the game registered that I hit something before the animal.

What position were you in when you fired the weapon? Prone shots can be bad for shooting the ground in front of you even when the scope crosshairs are clear. This is most common on a hill or in rocky terrain. You'll think you shot at an animal, but what really happens is that your avatar is "clipping" into the ground in just such a way that a shot is actually being fired at the ground, or underground. If you were crouched or standing, this was likely not your issue.

Regardless of your stance, were you physically close to a large rock or a tree? The same sort of thing can happen even in a standing position if you're to close to another object. Even though your crosshairs may be clear, the barrel of the gun may be "clipping" into a nearby object that you're huddled against for cover. Thus, when you fire, the bullet stops at the object instead of actually shooting towards the animals. If you were not anywhere near a large object, this was likely not your issue.

The last thing usually happens with longer distance shots than 75m, so I'm guessing one of the first two is actually your issue. But I'll mention it anyway. Sometimes, objects such as trees or rocks will not spawn in and be visible to the player at long distances, even when looking through a scope. What may look like a perfectly clear 250m shot may actually be your animal standing 100% behind a huge boulder. So when you shoot, you hit the invisible boulder. But of course you don't realize that because you don't see the boulder until you start moving towards where you shot the animal. So what should have been a perfect broadside shot was actually just you center-punching a rock. This one doesn't really have a good workaround and is just an unfortunate part of playing an antiquated game with limited draw distances.

As a newer player, I had quite a few of those "what the heck?" shots that seemed to disappear into thin air. Over time I kind of learned that the flaws in the terrain and the draw distance were often my issues. Nowadays, I don't have flyaway shots. I either hit the animal, or I have a pretty solid idea about what I hit instead based on how I was shooting. Sometimes you can see the particle effect where your shot collided with an object, and sometimes you can't. Another one of the many reasons that 100% hit ratio is a fairly unrealistic expectation in this game, or any videogame really. You could be a perfect marksman yourself but it doesn't matter if you're working against invisible limitations that you had no way of predicting. With time, you get better predicting them and you learn to adjust your shots accordingly so as to have as little potential collision with the game scenery as possible.

Edit:
These threads may help you further understand the issue with collision in videogames. The threads have a couple screenshots of arrows that hit a collision box in midair so they look like they're just floating but as far as the game is concerned, they hit something. Towers are really bad for having bad collision boxes in this game, but some rocks and trees have the same issues.
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... on#p957440
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... on#p855397
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I don't think any of the shots were from prone but when we miss there's no record of it, so I can't check it. I know about the trees and boulders in the way and shooting them. I learned that the hard way.

I think the problem was my mouse. I took it apart and blew out the dust. Then smacked in on the desk for good measure. I did another hunt and it seemed better. Not perfect but better. I'll buy a new mouse.

I'm going to quit hunting Whiterime and bison though. Bison are as big and stupid as a boulder and I find no challenge in it. I might hunt for moose there now and then though. They seem to have bigger scores than at RFF. Although they aren't much brighter than bison.

Thanks for your help.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

Whiterime Ridge has "oversize" trees. I've lost many shots by aiming too close to a tree and it hits invisible part of a tree. So there you have to keep extra clearance when you shoot past trees.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thanks Randy. I do tend to shoot too close to trees. I'll have to stop doing that on all maps I hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

My kill percentage is embarrassing. I never thought i'd see such a low number. I really don't seem to get along with the .340. I love the gun too. I could keep shooting it and work the number back up where it belongs but why bother? I wish we could move guns out of inventory so we don't have to look at them.

I'll go back the the Stetzen 30-06 and shoot it from now on. Damn .340 is overpowered anyway. A 30-06 is a proper caliber for elk and moose. Pretty good for deer too.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

happened me few times, while firing low while on a hunting tower or while laying on a rock. The scope is top of the barrel, and the game simulates that pretty well.

Also had problem with trees, so i always avoid to shoot close to obstacles or thru a narrow gap of anything.

Return to “General Chat”