New Start

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
pnShen
Hunter

Re: New Start

Post by pnShen »

OldMtnMan wrote:My perfect hit accuracy just went out the window. I shot at a moose who was too close to a boulder and i've discovered when I do that whether it's a tree or rock it seems to hit it even though the sights weren't on it. Just being close and the game calls it hitting the object instead of the animal. Brain fade on my part. I know better than to shoot that close to a solid object.
Hi

If you (or anyone) would go for 100% shot statistic, i would like to give a little warning. I don't know if it is common knowledge, i come and go in this game and skip years from time to time.
For a few years now (not sure since when) the game makes rocks and other objects invisible if a collectible is spawned close to it. I believe mushrooms are exception to that.

But it is weird that you can bump into invisible rocks. You can see me standing on the top of it at the second picture.
Spoiler:

Last edited by pnShen on May 9th, 2022, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Yes, that's one problem. Another one is knowing you made a good shot and the game calls it a body shot. Then when you track it the tracks stop showing all of a sudden. It will register as a hit but not a kill.

I'll stop getting so upset when it happens and move on.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I decided just one more time to start a new account. I want to have just one gun for all the animals in RFF. I won't do traditional anymore. I'll pick a modern gun and outfit. Carrying two guns is silly. I'm trying to simulate my real hunting and i'd never carry two guns when real hunting. One is bulky and heavy enough.

So, one gun for all the animals in RFF. What do you guys like? Nothing too light for any animal and nothing overkill for any animal. I have one in mind but what do you guys think?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Drillings Advanced if you want a broad spectrum, one size fits all weapon. You can use it for harvesting every animal in all of the reserves. Just depends on the type ammo you're carrying.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I agree for all the reserves but i'm only going to hunt RFF. So, no use for a shotgun. Moose, elk, blacktail, whitetail, and black bear are what i'll hunt. Actually, I won't hunt for bear but just shoot one in a charge.

That makes picking a gun much easier. I'm leaning towards the 30R. It's kind of a hot 30-06 but weaker than the .300 mag.

I wish we had an American made, wood stock, bolt action 30-06. I'd jump all over it and never look back. For some reason the devs chose to ignore the most popular gun used in the US.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

OldMtnMan wrote:
So, one gun for all the animals in RFF. What do you guys like? Nothing too light for any animal and nothing overkill for any animal. I have one in mind but what do you guys think?
having only one gun is an interesting concept. What do you like to hunt? Choosing purely on how many types of animals your gun can kill does not seems to fit in your concept, because based on that you can bring the pump action shotgun. You get free ammo for that, can put slug or red dot scope on that, but it is still not fun in general. Or you could bring a crossbow, but that does not qualify as a gun.

For all the rifles, the birds fall out of the question, but maybe you are OK with that. It would for me. So you either loose the birds or choose the drilling gun or the shotguns.

If you don't want to hunt birds: rifles with wide choice of permitted animals are:

7mm break action or bullpup (for also the biggest animals) [30 animals]
30-06 lever action (that is among my favorites) or .308 [28 animals]

or if you want to hunt cats instead of big animals:

7mm-08 Scout, but the stand can be either curse and a bless. [35 animals]

In your place i would also carry a bow (that i always carry to clear out animals that block my path), or at least the .22 grashopper to be able to shoot birds.

I think my final choice would be the 30-06 lever action with the .454 revolver

I don't want to push you in any direction, so i won't. just let me know if you finally decided.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I think we posted at the same time. My above post should explain what i'm going to do.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I think we posted at the same time. My above post should explain what i'm going to do.
Hi all ! after a 1 month internet outage I know nothing! but I allow myself to think of you! ;) ;)
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

Hi all ! after a 1 month internet outage I know nothing! but I allow myself to think of you all!
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

After much thought I came up with a gun. I've owned it before and liked it a lot. The Stutzen 30-06. I would have preferred a Winchester Model 70 or a Remington Model 700 in 30-06 but I doubt we'll ever get one. If we do i'll be first in line to buy it. It's a fine shooting gun and very accurate. It's takes a good shot to down an elk and it's not overkill for deer.

I'm going to stick with elk and deer. I'll leave the and bears alone unless they get grumpy and charge me. I'll spread my hunts around to any map that has deer and elk. That way it won't be as boring as just hunting RFF.

I thought of the lever 30-06 until I looked at it. The devs got it completely wrong. They show a Win 1873 gun for the 30-06. That never happened and putting round nose ammo it it still won't make it work. The 1873 was a weak action gun. It shot pistol ammo like the 44-40. The original one couldn't even shoot the Colt .45 ammo because it was too strong. The later replicas would shoot the .45 because of better metals but that's as far as it went. The pressure from a 30-06 cartridge would turn an 1873 into a bomb.

The lever gun that Winchester made for the 30-06 was the 1895. The same gun in the game for the .405. It doesn't use a tubular magazine but a clip magazine like bolt action rifles use. No need for round nose ammo. It can shoot spire point ammo. So, that's the reason I didn't pick the lever gun. It's a figment of a devs imagination. A bomb waiting to be fired.

So, that's my plan. One gun. The Sutzen 30-06. No comps. No stands or blinds. No females. No calls, no sprays of any kind. No fast travel or Huntermate. No consumables except ammo and i'm thinking gms earned from kills will buy that. I'll wear the Army camo outfit. The green seems to blend in with the maps i'll hunt. Not that it matters but I like it anyway. I'll use a 30-06 in honor of my dad who used one all his life. Even in WW2. I'm sure the new games coming out will have a 30-06 and i'll use in them too.

Now, i'll just wait for Marc or Nick to delete my account so I can get started with my new plan. Hopefully, I got it right and this will be the last time for starting over.

Later
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”