You Gotta Be Kidding Me.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
trulight
Scout

You Gotta Be Kidding Me.

Post by trulight »

Holy crap, how weakened the 12ga pump has gotten you gotta be kidding me! Immortal kitties LOL

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/trul ... /872598392

Score: 6.8754

Harvest value : 0
Weight: 11.38 kg (25.08 lbs)
Time of Harvest: 2022-04-17 02:50 EDT
Shots Hit: 7
Shot Distance: 107.19m (351.67ft)
Weapons Used:
12 GA Pump Action Shotgun

1 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 79.250 m (260.0 ft) Walking Body Crouching None
2 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 107.190 m (351.7 ft) Idle Body Crouching None
3 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 83.380 m (273.6 ft) Idle Body Crouching None
4 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 52.520 m (172.3 ft) Running Left front leg Standing None
5 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 61.560 m (202.0 ft) Running - Standing None
6 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 73.100 m (239.8 ft) Running Right front leg Standing None
7 Trulight 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun ✓ 12 GA Buckshot Shells 107.860 m (353.9 ft) Running - Standing None
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: You Gotta Be Kidding Me.

Post by Fletchette »

I haven't used 12ga buckshot in the game much, but IRL the effective range is usually considered to be about 35 yards. Most of your shots were 2-3 times that distance, so you may what to get a bit closer when using buckshot.
Personal Bests...
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

35 yards on a deer, this was a 25 lb cat......... and there's a difference between effectiveness of hitting, and actually hitting, which i did 7 times.
Last edited by trulight on April 17th, 2022, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Shotguns are typically considered close-range firearms, especially when loaded with buckshot. Beyond about 30 to 50 yards, the spread from most shotguns becomes too unpredictable to reliably guarantee that any of the pellets will hit the intended target. But what if circumstances dictated that you had to take that shot anyway? How effective is buckshot at extended ranges? We got out the ballistic gelatin and did some testing at 25, 50, and 100 yards to find out.

CHRIS: I guess the big thing is that context is really important and shotguns can do a lot of different things depending on what hardware you’re using and what ammo you’re using.

JOHN: Yeah, and the whole point of what did we want to know was just, flat out, not “is it appropriate to shoot this distance” not anything other than “what does it do?”

CHRIS: “What does it do?”, yeah. Buckshot will kill you at 100 yards. I think that’s pretty safe to say.

JOHN: Yeah…. Yeah. Wait, “will” or “can”?

CHRIS: Can.

JOHN: Okay.

CHRIS: It will if it hits you in the right place, I’d say.

So basically it hitting an 25 lb cat is going to be devastating anywhere in the body. It's only effective at hitting, but if it does it still will kill, and i did hit 7 times.

Just FYI: #1 Buckshot at 50 Yards Penetrated Ballistics Gel 9.6 inches. #00 Penetrated 13.5 Inches, and 9.1 Inches at 100 Yards
Last edited by trulight on April 17th, 2022, 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

My problem is, and always has been when they started messing with the ballistics years ago, is they made old weapons after releasing new weapons weaker, making them do a lot less damage per say after x arbitrary number. IE hitting something with a shotgun at 300 yards with a slug. It's like if you connect at 300 yards with a slug, i would NOT want to be the one it connected with because it's going to do massive damage, it still has velocity. I had a bear i shot 6 times in the main part of the body, at 150m each time with the 12ga slug. (I was able to do this because it was hung up on a group of trees, another story/problem all together.) before it decided it was going to die.

Even my 50 Cal Air rifle i use for deer hunting has an effective range of about 75-100 yards. But if I am about 16 feet high at 300 yards and connect with plywood it's going through.

Granted I know it's a game, but physics don't lie :P
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

When I say my buddy kills bull elk at 125 yds with his .50 Hawken round ball and in game 60m is max I'm told it's a game.

So, I say to you. It's a game. Get closer.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”