310+ Roosevelt Elk

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: 310+ Roosevelt Elk

Post by JimboCrow »

I got tired of trying to find one so I bought the three day supply of gasoline and drove around the ring road on Settler Creeks. I started at Highland and made one counterclockwise trip and found two gold on the road: one right after I got on the ring road, near Tower 1, and one by Homestead, just east of the triangle entrance/exit to Homestead.

Seems they are near the lodges maybe??? Another player found one on the shore east of Afterland on WRR. After I find a fox I'll do nothing but mash MP games and drive around giving head's ups if I find any more. The ratio is not good for this event. Definitely "takes the fun out of it." :(
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Don't eat the eggs. They taste terrible.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:Don't eat the eggs. They taste terrible.
Those weren't eggs!!! They're "Horse Apples". :o
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

They weren't too bad with ketchup. Kind of chewy.

Better than beaver tail.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

This is a game of luck and endurance though so that is as it should be. Anyway I am giving up this. I don´t doubt I can find such an elk but I just hunted an elk which surely didn´t look like a 300 but anyway good with practise.First shot solid broadside at 80 metres. hmm body shot. Second shot change tactics he was facing away. So tried getting an intestine shot by shooting his ass at 110 metres... He hardly even bled just one blood trail and same percentage. Third shot again good broadside solid lung at 90 metres... eeeh no body shot. Hardly any bleeding. Later on I shot at 80 metres perfect setup and then a follow up shot at 95 metres. He did finally pass away but I could never penetrate his skin lol. A 266 which was around my guesstimate. Imagine a proper 310+ unless you go below 50 metres that must be at least 8 shots for him to go down with 12 gauge if you are aiming for lung shots?
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

JimboCrow wrote:Seems they are near the lodges maybe??
Found my golden one (after 33 bronze and 17 silver) just outside Highland Lodge in Settlers Creek. You might be right!
Spoiler:
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

knott wrote:This is a game of luck and endurance though so that is as it should be. Anyway I am giving up this. I don´t doubt I can find such an elk but I just hunted an elk which surely didn´t look like a 300 but anyway good with practise.First shot solid broadside at 80 metres. hmm body shot. Second shot change tactics he was facing away. So tried getting an intestine shot by shooting his ass at 110 metres... He hardly even bled just one blood trail and same percentage. Third shot again good broadside solid lung at 90 metres... eeeh no body shot. Hardly any bleeding. Later on I shot at 80 metres perfect setup and then a follow up shot at 95 metres. He did finally pass away but I could never penetrate his skin lol. A 266 which was around my guesstimate. Imagine a proper 310+ unless you go below 50 metres that must be at least 8 shots for him to go down with 12 gauge if you are aiming for lung shots?
What size slug did you use?
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Silar wrote:"Golden egg I will of course not find." Yes I know what you mean. Just spent the whole day looking for the golden egg. i didn't even hunt just ran looking for the golden egg. i found around 30 bronze 15 silver but no gold. It just kind of takes all the fun out of the game.

Here I wine about golden egg then find 1 15 minutes into my next hunt I ran all the way around loggers Point checking the beach.
I guess it pays to "wine"
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

So i was reading the comments, and what happened to RFF? did really something changed with the elk population or is just another case of perceived lack of elks just from bad spawn? i made a hunt some days ago, i noticed, or better said, i didn't noticed even a trace of elks in any of the common areas for them in RFF, except a group of cows, but since was only a hunt i thought was a simply bad luck.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Alphamale1956 wrote:
knott wrote:This is a game of luck and endurance though so that is as it should be. Anyway I am giving up this. I don´t doubt I can find such an elk but I just hunted an elk which surely didn´t look like a 300 but anyway good with practise.First shot solid broadside at 80 metres. hmm body shot. Second shot change tactics he was facing away. So tried getting an intestine shot by shooting his ass at 110 metres... He hardly even bled just one blood trail and same percentage. Third shot again good broadside solid lung at 90 metres... eeeh no body shot. Hardly any bleeding. Later on I shot at 80 metres perfect setup and then a follow up shot at 95 metres. He did finally pass away but I could never penetrate his skin lol. A 266 which was around my guesstimate. Imagine a proper 310+ unless you go below 50 metres that must be at least 8 shots for him to go down with 12 gauge if you are aiming for lung shots?
What size slug did you use?
12 would have to try 10 next time. I rarely hunt with shotguns but I don´t remember them this weak. New monitor I wonder if VRR somehow kind of give me false frames or something so I don´t actually hit where I see. Needs investigating lol

Return to “General Chat”