Are [goose callers] completely useless, or am i using them wrong?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Gah_Montilladrinker

Are [goose callers] completely useless, or am i using them wrong?

Post by Gah_Montilladrinker »

Are the flag lure and long range callers not working currently? i have been hunting snow geese for an hour and i wasn't able to break a single one out of the flocks, the only geese i have been able to hunt so far were the high flying ones that broke off because of the decoys.
I have a waterfowl blind, i have the maximum number of decoys and i switch between the flag lure and the long range caller every 4 uses, i also experimented using only one of them and still the same result; nothing. I have been watching people hunt them and they don't seem to encounter the same problem as i do, so what am i doing wrong? It seems that whenever i'm inside the blind the geese immeditely stop coming down, this morning i was running around collecting while geese broke from a low flying flock and i shot them, i was like "what?".
I also don't know why, but whenever i'm at 150m away from the decoys and blind the geese just break off so naturally, i don't even use the lures, they just break off. Nothing of this happens when i'm trying to hunt them with shotguns. I'll completely stop using the blind if all it takes is stand on a hill 150 meters away and kill them off one by one with the .17 HMR and get better results. Makes no sense to me. :/
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Are these items completely useless, or am i using them wrong?

Post by HooCairs »

I encounter the same, with all three goose types. When I am not there, they land to the decoys in masses. When I am there, it is hard work to make them break.

This is just a wild guess, but I feel when they introduced the comeback caller for ducks, they reduced the chances for all birds to break with the regular callers. That is my only explanation why at times I have three massive flocks passing with not a single bird breaking.

Like said, a wild guess, but the fact that birds break less when I am present just seems wrong.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Gah_Montilladrinker

Not only that, it seems they break off more easily when you're just out of the blind, i was walking around with 0 camo in a ghillie suit and more than half of a flock broke off flying low near me, no caller used. I agree, it feels wrong.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

Are you the host of the game? Where do you have your blind setup?
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Gah_Montilladrinker

Brutus969 wrote:Are you the host of the game? Where do you have your blind setup?
Blind at 30m away from the decoys at X: -5144 Y: -9384. I only play single player.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Re: Are [goose callers] completely useless, or am i using them wrong?

Post by Vanatorul_Roman »

well I don't know about you, but I never encountered what you are all saying so far. It true , I haven't hunt snow geese lately, so who knows, maybe it's a bug introduced with one of the recently updates. Maybe it is worth to investigate further...I'm just saying it.
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

It has been a long time since in general the calls for birds (all) do not work and the breaking of geese and/or ducks is completely random and without any sense, the last caller i saw working well was the Duck Comeback but this only happened for a day or two because once it was bought by everyone it was modified and it became a crap like all callers, i think this absurd situation that should be corrected is absolutely known to the staff who do not care at all about the opinion and user satisfaction, this is what I believe after ten years or so of playing the game...use only the short callers to guide the birds towards you and the others throw them...
Michaelairjordan

Post by Michaelairjordan »

If u don't want to get them airborne, and have them break hoocairs has an old video by putting a tower about 120m away pop them with the plinkton
Especially how they break when your not around and by your decoys
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Michaelairjordan wrote:If u don't want to get them airborne, and have them break hoocairs has an old video by putting a tower about 120m away pop them with the plinkton
Especially how they break when your not around and by your decoys
You can't do that anymore either (Tower shots from distance) because any change in state including "Living vs. Dead" is an automatic spook and the whole flock will depart.
Michaelairjordan

Post by Michaelairjordan »

Boooooooo lol

Return to “General Chat”