Weapons ranked on Power?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Weapons ranked on Power?

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Anyone have a wiki article on this? TIA
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Weapons ranked on Power?

Post by OldMtnMan »

I feel the Weatherby .340 mag has the most power.

Not sure how the rest rank. I never tried the .405.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

I'm curious. I just got the .300 Bolt Action (Carbon version). Now when you see the word carbon, you're most likely talking about the composition of the barrel of the weapon and not a color or style like "Jungle Camo" or "Mahogany" . Now if this weapon is, in fact, the carbon barrel and not a composite, then the weapon should be superior in killing power to the former composite version which most of us bought a very long time ago. I was also wondering about the 9.3 x74R which is currently at the top of the "food chain". But this carbon model actually seems to penetrate more than the 9.3 x 74R which you would think has more killing power as the .300 is not permissible for water buffalo. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought someone did a relative comparison of the kinetic power of all the weapons once, but I can't seem to find the article.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Alphamale1956 wrote:I'm curious. I just got the .300 Bolt Action (Carbon version). Now when you see the word carbon, you're most likely talking about the composition of the barrel of the weapon and not a color or style like "Jungle Camo" or "Mahogany" . Now if this weapon is, in fact, the carbon barrel and not a composite, then the weapon should be superior in killing power to the former composite version which most of us bought a very long time ago. I was also wondering about the 9.3 x74R which is currently at the top of the "food chain". But this carbon model actually seems to penetrate more than the 9.3 x 74R which you would think has more killing power as the .300 is not permissible for water buffalo. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought someone did a relative comparison of the kinetic power of all the weapons once, but I can't seem to find the article.
There is no difference in the color variations of the weapon other then look and price.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

And to answer this about the list, no there is no current list that ranks them because, it would become obsolete so fast. My understanding is that the weapon ballistics is one of the things they are working on this year. Secondly hard to track that type of data when weapons can be changed on the fly without the need of an update, just like the UI to fix the gm display on scoresheet was fixed without an update.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

trulight wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:I'm curious. I just got the .300 Bolt Action (Carbon version). Now when you see the word carbon, you're most likely talking about the composition of the barrel of the weapon and not a color or style like "Jungle Camo" or "Mahogany" . Now if this weapon is, in fact, the carbon barrel and not a composite, then the weapon should be superior in killing power to the former composite version which most of us bought a very long time ago. I was also wondering about the 9.3 x74R which is currently at the top of the "food chain". But this carbon model actually seems to penetrate more than the 9.3 x 74R which you would think has more killing power as the .300 is not permissible for water buffalo. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought someone did a relative comparison of the kinetic power of all the weapons once, but I can't seem to find the article.
There is no difference in the color variations of the weapon other then look and price.
So then by your definition, the .300 composite is a totally different model rifle rather than a variation of the original. And that does seem to be the case since I'm receiving points for kills made by each under their own 0-1000 count. But since they use the same ammo, I would still like to know if they gave the carbon version a higher killing force or a different trajectory to range value or other parameters that give a weapon its own "lethality" if you will. Again, I remember seeing a comparison of the kinetic strengths of these rifles taking into account the load, calibur, length of barrel, composition of barrel, muzzle velocities, and so on. I just can't remember whether it was someone from one of these forums or from another source.
Last edited by Alphamale1956 on January 17th, 2022, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Carbon and Composite both relate to the material used in the stock, not the barrel. Carbon meaning Carbon fibre and composite meaning any other plastic or fibre glass mixture. The Ammo is the same for all rifle skins of the same caliber and there is only one power rating for the ammo. So it is unlikely that one rifle skin would perform any better than any other version..
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Alphamale1956 wrote:
trulight wrote:
So then by your definition, the .300 composite is a totally different model rifle rather than a variation of the original. And that does seem to be the case since I'm receiving points for kills made by each under their own 0-1000 count. But since they use the same ammo, I would still like to know if they gave the carbon version a higher killing force or a different trajectory to range value or other parameters that give a weapon its own "lethality" if you will. Again, I remember seeing a comparison of the kinetic strengths of these rifles taking into account the load, calibur, length or barrel, composition of barrel, muzzle velocities, and so on. I just can't remember whether it was someone from one of these forums or from another source.
As dan said, the composite / engraved / regular and whatever name they come up with are all the same round, and given the same ballistics.

Last post by Tod: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p853504
Last edited by trulight on January 16th, 2022, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Carbon and Composite both relate to the material used in the stock, not the barrel. Carbon meaning Carbon fibre and composite meaning any other plastic or fibre glass mixture. The Ammo is the same for all rifle skins of the same caliber and there is only one power rating for the ammo. So it is unlikely that one rifle skin would perform any better than any other version..
Well maybe here but as I said, when you attach "carbon" to a weapon, you are usually referring to the rifle barrel and not the color of the stock. Carbon is not a color.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

No, Carbon Fiber meaning carbon fiber rifle barrel. Do a basic search and that's what you find. The carbon fiber is referring to a barrel

Return to “General Chat”