Several new player questions

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ripsix

Several new player questions

Post by ripsix »

Finding the wiki etc very helpful but a few questions I couldn't find answers to if anyone is kind enough to answer for me I'd appreciate it.

Do the animals behave differently based on the time of day? If so, is there a guide on it somewhere?

Are sunglasses cosmetic or do they actually have a purpose? Sometimes the lighting gets weird and I wondered if it was from the sun, if sunglasses fixed that at all?

Does em$ ever go on sale?

I wanted to try goose hunting so I bought the full set of goose decoys, have a few questions about these.
1. Does the 3 types of decoys matter in how they're placed in the field? (Feeder, Sentry, Active Land) I just kind of put them in 3 clumps about 20m away from my blind in a field, I get maybe 4 geese per flock to break away not sure what the normal number is.
2. Does their proximity to each other matter?
3. I read the flapping ones are a multiplier - does that mean a multiplier on top of the 24 decoys, or only a multiplier up to 24? Since I already have 24, will adding 2 flapping decoys still be a benefit or only if I had say 12 normal decoys and 2 flapping then that's the same as having 24, but 24 is the hard cap?
xOEDragonx

Re: Several new player questions

Post by xOEDragonx »

No, animals don't behave differently based on the time of day. There are a couple time windows where species may rest, as in they lay down for a short nap and are unresponsive to attractants, but I'm not aware of a thorough list of all times that animals can rest and I don't believe all species do it. So for the most part, no, they don't really have behavioral patterns you could use to help locate them or anything like that.

Some glasses are cosmetic only, but some come with a special filter that you can turn on/off while hunting. They should be labelled in the store as such. Some people claim they can see things better with the tints. I bought the tinted hunting glasses for cosmetic purposes only and never actually use the tint because it's too dark for me. It's worth noting the tinted hunting glasses in particular are bugged-- they will often (>50% of the time) appear clear on your avatar and in trophy shots. There's another bug with all glasses that have a special filter, but it can be viewed as a more positive thing-- tapping the Z key to activate your filter will cause dead animal domes to appear at any distance. Normally the domes only appear within 30m or so. This can help you find a dead animal hidden in brush, or can help you pick out your dead animal at a distance. So it's a bug, but a helpful one anyway.

No, em$ never go on sale. There used to be specials where if you bought so many, you'd get towers or other items too but I haven't seen that for many years now. However, there are other ways to earn em$. You can often earn a small amount by participating in large holiday events, you can earn small amounts by placing in official competitions found in the launcher (although you may have to get about 50+ kills of a species before you can enter the level of competition for that species that actually awards em$), or best yet, you could participate in player-hosted competitions here on the forums. There are often generous em$ prizes to be earned there and new players can be just as successful as old time players with a bit of luck and patience.

Waterfowl decoys do not matter how they're placed in terms of decoy type or direction they're facing. The only thing that matters is that they're all within a certain distance of each other so that they count as a full set of decoys. As in, if you put 12 decoys in one spot and 12 decoys in a different spot 100 meters away, it won't count as a full set, it will count as two half sets, so you won't get as good of an attraction. While I can't tell you the exact distance apart they can be and still count as one clump, you can place them however you want and then check to see if the game counts them as one group. Try setting them up, exit the hunt, restart your launcher, go to the map you placed them on and before you start the hunt, look at the map up close. If it shows just one decoy symbol with a number over it, you should be good. If it shows multiple decoy symbols, they need to be closer together. 4 geese per flock sounds like your decoys are working alright, but you can get groups of up to 6 break at a time.

The flappers aren't multipliers. They simply count as 6 decoys instead of 1. That means you could have 4 flappers only and they would be just as powerful as 24 non-flapping decoys. Adding more decoys to a decoy set that already has a combined 24 will not offer you any additional attraction. In your own words, 24 is the hard cap on any single decoy set (for geese, ducks are a different matter). What you could do is buy more decoys and start another set. Place one full set of 24 decoys about 40 yards from you blind on one side, then another full set 40 yards from the blind on the opposite side of you. Each set will offer 100% attraction. So even if a flock flies over and ignores one set of decoys, there is a chance the second set might cause them to break. In a way, using this strategy does increase attraction just because it forces the geese to have to consider two different attractive sets of decoys versus just one. That's a longer term goal if you want to do that though. Having one set of 24 decoys is truly all you need to be successful.

Welcome to the game!
ripsix

Post by ripsix »

Thank you, very helpful
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

xOEDragonx wrote: The flappers aren't multipliers. They simply count as 6 decoys instead of 1. That means you could have 4 flappers only and they would be just as powerful as 24 non-flapping decoys. Adding more decoys to a decoy set that already has a combined 24 will not offer you any additional attraction. In your own words, 24 is the hard cap on any single decoy set (for geese, ducks are a different matter). What you could do is buy more decoys and start another set. Place one full set of 24 decoys about 40 yards from you blind on one side, then another full set 40 yards from the blind on the opposite side of you. Each set will offer 100% attraction. So even if a flock flies over and ignores one set of decoys, there is a chance the second set might cause them to break. In a way, using this strategy does increase attraction just because it forces the geese to have to consider two different attractive sets of decoys versus just one. That's a longer term goal if you want to do that though. Having one set of 24 decoys is truly all you need to be successful.

Welcome to the game!
Allthough from personal experience i've found that if you have a flapper or two away from main group 40 or 50m and set your blind by it the ones that break tend to bline towards them without a short caller. Can be very useful on some types of strategies.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

ripsix wrote:Are sunglasses cosmetic or do they actually have a purpose? Sometimes the lighting gets weird and I wondered if it was from the sun, if sunglasses fixed that at all?
Sunglasses are cosmetic only, they have no impact on the game. They should have been used to counteract the effects of the sun on snow reserves, but they don't do their job, they are completely useless

Return to “General Chat”