render vegetation further?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ripsix

render vegetation further?

Post by ripsix »

Loved COTW so giving this game a shot, the graphics aren't the worst but the vegetation popping in as I walk is the most annoying. Is there a setting, ini file, anything I can edit how far away vegetation renders? Or increase graphics in any way other than settings in the launcher?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: render vegetation further?

Post by OldMtnMan »

If I don't turn up all graphic setting to max I get popups. Even then I get some but it's not noticeable. The shadows are a pain and pop in and out a lot but again the max setting helps it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Welcome to the game :)

There are no other ways to legally adjust these settings other than in the launcher.

Classic has also a smaller render range for animals and other players than CotW. Scene Complexity determines the render range:
High = 320m
Medium = 270m
Low = 220m (used to be max for many years)

This may help at the beginning: https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/New_Player_Basics
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ripsix

Post by ripsix »

I have everything maxed out, still can see tree's pop in frequently, and fallen trees especially.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

As stated, there are no other ways to adjust the settings in-game.

It's great that you came to check this game out because you loved COTW, but please keep in mind this game is arguably an antique when being compared to it's successor. It's built on an older engine that has many more limitations. I hope you can learn to love it as much as COTW despite those limitations.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Each game has it's pro's and cons, ultimately they are both "diamonds" in the rough. Sorry couldn't help the pun hahaha!
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Post by Vanatorul_Roman »

This game may be old (it is built on an old engine, which in its time was state of the art, 12 years ago) but it has something that COTW will never have: animal realistic behaviour, LIVE competitions and a powerful random engine for everything (from animals values/weight to generated weather). COTW is a arcade game like which looks nice for some because is built on a new engine. I tried it, there hunting is boring and there are no competitions.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

ripsix wrote:I have everything maxed out, still can see tree's pop in frequently, and fallen trees especially.
I advise you to put everything to the maximum except the shadows to the minimum it works well ;) for me !
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Generally there are two types of models used in game engines or Editors.
The first is the permanent objects which are seen to furthest render. Usually comprising large trees, Buildings and large rocks. These normally have a collision factor which prevents you from walking through them and allows you to stand on them.

Second is the Dynamic objects, which have a preset render range that extends 360 degrees from the players position. Grass, Small filler trees, small bushes and rocks etc. These do not usually have a collision and the player can walk through them unhindered. They normally have two settings , one the full opacity range and an extended fade in/fade out setting, the fade setting allowing them to gradually become visible as you approach untill you reach the full opacity range. If the full opacity and fade setting are set too close together the objects will pop, rather than gradually become visible.
Usually the highest game settings will give you the maximum distance the dynamic objects will render.

Two possible explanations for the popping are.
A minimum fade range has been set or not set at all.
Or there is no fade setting included in the engines settings.
So either way there is little you can do to overcome the problem except use the highest settings the game will allow in order to get the maximum object rendering possible.
Last edited by DanthemanBoone on January 7th, 2022, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Generally there are two types of models used in game engines or Editors.
The first is the permanent objects which are seen to furthest render. Usually comprising large trees, Buildings and large rocks. These normally have a collision factor which prevents you from walking through them and allows you to stand on them.

Second is the Dynamic objects, which have a preset render range that extends 360 degrees from the players position. Grass, Small filler trees, small bushes and rocks etc. These do not usually have a collision and the player can walk through them unhindered. They normally have two settings , one the full opacity range and an extended fade in/fade out setting, the fade setting allowing them to gradually become visible as you approach until you reach the full opacity range. If the full opacity and fade setting are set to close together the objects will pop, rather than gradually become visible.
Usually the highest game settings will give you the maximum distance the dynamic objects will render.

Two possible explanations for the popping are.
A minimum fade range has been set or not set at all.
Or there is no fade setting included in the engines settings.
So either way there is little you can do to overcome the problem except use the highest settings the game will allow in order to get the maximum object rendering possible.
This is an excellent response Dan. Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it. Two thumbs up!! Jimbo

Return to “General Chat”