Stealth

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Stealth

Post by Alphamale1956 »

All other things being equal, which is better in coverage (visual reduction)...Treestand or deployable wood tower? Edit: Let me add to that question by including the metal tripod stand as well.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Stealth

Post by fantamichele »

In my experience I would put it in order
1) tower
2) tree support
3) camouflage tent
4) metal tripod
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I'd say that from >20m, they're all about the same. The issue with tripods and towers is that once animals get with 15-20m of them, there's a good chance they'll spook. An animal definitely can't walk under a tripod, and I'm not sure I recall any animals walking under my towers without spooking either. Certain animals, i.e. coyotes, seem even more likely to see you in a tower than they would with a treestand or tripod at the same distance.

Treestands are far superior. If you can put them on a tall enough tree (height definitely matters), animals can stand directly below you without spooking, even some big animals won't spook from this. This simply isn't even doable with the tripod at all and even if it was doable with a tower, you can't aim straight down like you can in a tree stand.

You do lose some of your field of view in a treestand versus the other two but since most animals will walk right beneath your stand anyway, this hardly matters.

On some maps with certain tree models that accept a tree stand, the stand does not hang very high off the ground. Or there are some trees that you can hang the stand high but because of the terrain incline, the stand is still arguably closer to the ground. In either of these situations, there is a much greater chance animals will spook before they get super close to you. But find the tree models that you can hang a tree stand high up on and you're practically invisible to all but the biggest trophy animals.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Based on the store, and experience, I would rank them...

1) Permanent Tower
2) 3D Ground Blind (Legendary in the right terrain)
3) Ground Blind (Excellent)
4) Deployable Tower (Very Good)
5) Treestand (Good)
6) Tripod Stand (Good)

I've had many an animal walk right into the ground blind and not spook.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

fantamichele wrote:In my experience I would put it in order
1) tower
2) tree support
3) camouflage tent
4) metal tripod

Hey thanks.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

Tod1d wrote:Based on the store, and experience, I would rank them...

1) Permanent Tower
5) Treestand (Good)
6) Tripod Stand (Good)

Do you know something I don't? I always thought ground blinds sucked...incredibly limited vision, can only shoot whilst standing, unless you find a slope to put it on. Could you give some examples of using them effectively? Also in my experience, animals spook when close.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Brutus969 wrote:
Tod1d wrote:Based on the store, and experience, I would rank them...

1) Permanent Tower
5) Treestand (Good)
6) Tripod Stand (Good)

Do you know something I don't? I always thought ground blinds sucked...incredibly limited vision, can only shoot whilst standing, unless you find a slope to put it on. Could you give some examples of using them effectively? Also in my experience, animals spook when close.
I'm sure I know a lot of things you don't, and vice-versa ;)
The question was limited to visual camouflage. You do have to be pretty selective about where you place the ground blind. I always look for a high spot or a clear area. Many times putting them right on a road. I've had fewer animals spook from the ground blind than the treestand or deployable tower.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Thanks all for the responses. I was really looking for more exacting values as were intended by the developers rather than gut feelings. But there's so much more than just visual reduction here in determining which is the better item. Ease of Use: How much capacity is used, is it immediately usable (not with the tower). Is camo involved or not? Not with wood tower and I'm not sure but I don't think it's involved with the tripods either. But it is with the ground blinds. The treestand can give you immediate setup, and with scent eliminator, it can give you virtual invisibility. The tower, IMHO, is useless. It takes two days for me to get it constructed. Blocks overhead view. Does not give complete camo as I've had many a fox look directly up at me while in the tower after they've stopped their approach. So I don't really see a need for it. The tree stand also will not deflect shots taken as you lead a spooked target with your rifle, unlike the tower. Many times I have had shots deflected from the wood tower posts when even the reticle/scope shows a clean shot. The tripod is surprisingly useful as I've had many foxes approach and not spook. The elevation is not that great for the tripod. And strangely enough, the treestand puts you as high off the ground as the tower. Any other comments?
Last edited by Alphamale1956 on January 4th, 2022, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm not into to using them much if at all, but I did experiment and test them. The only one that I never got busted in was a tree stand.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'm not into to using them much if at all, but I did experiment and test them. The only one that I never got busted in was a tree stand.
Yeah, I'm thinking this too. I have had deer spook while in a tree stand but that's because I forgot to use Scent Elim. Other than that, the tree stand seems to be the best choice. But sometimes you just cannot place a treestand where you want it (rocky area), so the tripod comes in second here for this ability. Blinds get third for dedicated waterfowl use. And tbh, I dont really use the camo tents anymore.

Return to “General Chat”