Stealth

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Stealth

Post by HooCairs »

I would measure stealth by how close animals come. The tree stand is king, way better than anything else. Way, way, way better. A different league really..

* Towers are pretty bad in scent camo. Deployable towers, almost all animals will smell you and run once they have come close. Actually, all animals, even a single whitetail doe. Feral hogs can smell you even in permanent towers. Keep arctic foxes at least 30m away from towers.
* Ground blinds are useless and you can barely see out.
* Tripod stands will not have animals come to its feet before they bolt.

I can have the most sensitive animals (lynx, high scoring deer, foxes) sit right under my tree stands and they don't bother, me not wearing anything fancy nor using scent eliminator.

1) Tree stand
+10) All the rest

Been a long time since a topic was so easy to answer. :P

Edit: For the record, I own 94 tree stands. Because they give you the edge. :D
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Where i used to put the tree stand there's always a lot of cow elk. I've had as many as 8 cows and two bulls right below me hanging out. A couple of them bedded down. Here's the best part. I don't use any scent or scent eliminator and I wasn't wearing any camo.

I agree it can be frustrating when you can't put a tree stand in the perfectly placed tree. Especially, the aspens on Timbergold.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

HooCairs wrote:I would measure stealth by how close animals come. The tree stand is king, way better than anything else. Way, way, way better. A different league really..

* Towers are pretty bad in scent camo. Deployable towers, almost all animals will smell you and run once they have come close. Actually, all animals, even a single whitetail doe. Feral hogs can smell you even in permanent towers. Keep arctic foxes at least 30m away from towers.
* Ground blinds are useless and you can barely see out.
* Tripod stands will not have animals come to its feet before they bolt.

I can have the most sensitive animals (lynx, high scoring deer, foxes) sit right under my tree stands and they don't bother, me not wearing anything fancy nor using scent eliminator.

1) Tree stand
+10) All the rest

Been a long time since a topic was so easy to answer. :P

Edit: For the record, I own 94 tree stands. Because they give you the edge. :D
Yeah, to your point, I just the other day had an entire herd, mostly females gather around my treestand (I got lazy and used the scent lure WHILE I was in the stand instead of walking about 20m out in front of the stand to set the kill zone) and after about a dozen or so gathered they then decided to "call it a day" and bedded down all around me. I wish I had the video. But I was just curious about the exact numerical level the designers have set for parameters like "level of scent" detection, visional detection, sound detection and other spook triggering factors are used so that I don't have to determine how much more "Excellent" is compared to "Very good" or even "Legendary". People give their opinions based on experience but numbers can't be disputed. Interesting viewpoints here tho.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'd take the experience of Hoo over some numbers.

Have you ever looked at how many animals he's killed? I was shocked. He must be doing something right. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'd take the experience of Hoo over some numbers.

Have you ever looked at how many animals he's killed? I was shocked. He must be doing something right. ;)
Tru dat
farjam
Spotter

Post by farjam »

Tree stands are the King as HooCairs said. Only arctic fox will spook under it (only if you called it from that particular stand, If you had not called it, it can stay under the stand without being spooked). I only hunt in whiterime ridge and there are three kind of heights for the tree stand for me, some of the lowered position ones could spook even sitka deer, I know the places just by experience to stay way from them, nothing I can prove by exact height and such things.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

farjam wrote:Tree stands are the King as HooCairs said. Only arctic fox will spook under it (only if you called it from that particular stand, If you had not called it, it can stay under the stand without being spooked). I only hunt in whiterime ridge and there are three kind of heights for the tree stand for me, some of the lowered position ones could spook even sitka deer, I know the places just by experience to stay way from them, nothing I can prove by exact height and such things.
Interesting. How do you get multiple heights? I never purchased the two-man stand, is that what you're referring to?
farjam
Spotter

Post by farjam »

Alphamale1956 wrote:
farjam wrote:Tree stands are the King as HooCairs said. Only arctic fox will spook under it (only if you called it from that particular stand, If you had not called it, it can stay under the stand without being spooked). I only hunt in whiterime ridge and there are three kind of heights for the tree stand for me, some of the lowered position ones could spook even sitka deer, I know the places just by experience to stay way from them, nothing I can prove by exact height and such things.
Interesting. How do you get multiple heights? I never purchased the two-man stand, is that what you're referring to?
No, I meant the type of the trees and the place you can put the stand on them, the height of the stand is not customizable, it is related to the shape and height of the tree and and sometimes where their branches starts, normally each tree just has a fixed place(in term of height) for stand(you can only rotate the stand).
for example if the stand is too low and there is a little hill in front of it, The animals who are on that little hill sometimes will spook
Last edited by farjam on January 4th, 2022, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

I also think treestands are king.

Different tree types can offer different heights.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Alphamale1956 wrote:The tree stand also will not deflect shots taken as you lead a spooked target with your rifle, unlike the tower.
That too. Totally forgot about that, but another plus for the tree stand. Tree stands are superior in almost every way. I too have had even the spookiest animals (i.e. cats specifically) stand directly below me on numerous occasions without using scent eliminator. Like I said, get high enough and you're practically invisible. I'm not sure how one could quantify stealth against AI much better than that.

You said you're looking for a more specific answer, exact numerical levels and parameters. You're not going to find that. That's one of those magic numbers that is kept behind the scenes, just like animal populations, just like how soon a trophy animal will spot you on the ground and just like how many rares may or may not ever spawn on a map. It probably also depends on the environment. Again, consider tree stand height. A low hung stand and a high hung stand are practically two different kinds of stands. If we knew quantifiable answers to stand stealth, they'd be easy access public information and it would take even more of the effort out of hunting. The best you can do is go on anecdotes and personal experience, almost like real hunting. We shouldn't always have all the answers.

Return to “General Chat”