Buffalo Hunting

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Buffalo Hunting

Post by OldMtnMan »

As someone who loves the old (1800's) way of hunting and the guns used to do it. I looked for a better way to do it then using the caplock for elk. The caplock in game isn't a replica of a real 1800's gun. It's an exact copy of the Thompson center Hawken released in the 1970's and discontinued now. It wasn't even close to the real Hawken which I have an exact copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken and hunted elk for 40 years with it. Great gun but at 11 lbs it wasn't easy hauling it around the Rockies. I was never happy using the in game caplock.

I finally noticed the 45/70 Buffalo gun. It's a real gun that we can buy today as a replica of a real gun. The replica isn't cheap at $3000 but it is cheaper than an original that sell for way more money at auctions. The gun is an 1874 Sharps Buffalo. There were many different model of Sharps. Military, long range target model that shoot comps at 1000 yds, carbine versions for hunting, and some fancy engraved models.

Here's the real replica for those interested. There's even a video for those interested in the gun in game. You can even download a manual for those really into the gun.

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1874-sharps-rifle

So, now I have the gun I wanted. Since it's the buffalo version it's only right to hunt buffalo with it. Might as well hunt for moose too since they're right there with the bison. I'd prefer to hunt bison on a warmer map but it is what it is. It snowed last night and if I can can stand snowy weather in my real life I can do it in game too.

A lot of the mountain men turned to buffalo hunting after the fur trade died out, so i'm right at home. I wish I could still wear the trapper buckskins but they won't work in game unless I just do long shots and that's no fun.

I'll have to find a proper buffalo hunter with a Sharps for an avatar. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Brutus969
Scout

Re: Buffalo Hunting

Post by Brutus969 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I finally noticed the 45/70 Buffalo gun... There were many different model of Sharps....and some fancy engraved models.
I really like this gun in game and would love an engraved version.

Avery, Dmitri, make it happen please! :D :D :D
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Hey Pete!! Merry Christmas old feller!! I love the Buffalo rifle too, it's one of my very favorite weapons in the game. It's beautiful, sounds incredible, has a great animation, and is a real experience to learn how to take really long shots with and account for the bullet drop. I know that's not ethical, but it's such a great weapon to experiment with at distance because in close it's just a stone cold killer. I wear my trapper outfit on Hemmeldal to hunt moose and brown bear with it. I know you're going to love that gun!! Good Hunting Friend!! Jimbo ;)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Finally found a proper avatar. The most famous buffalo hunter of all of them. He didn't slaughter the buffalo like some of them did.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

JimboCrow wrote:Hey Pete!! Merry Christmas old feller!! I love the Buffalo rifle too, it's one of my very favorite weapons in the game. It's beautiful, sounds incredible, has a great animation, and is a real experience to learn how to take really long shots with and account for the bullet drop. I know that's not ethical, but it's such a great weapon to experiment with at distance because in close it's just a stone cold killer. I wear my trapper outfit on Hemmeldal to hunt moose and brown bear with it. I know you're going to love that gun!! Good Hunting Friend!! Jimbo ;)

Thanks buddy and Merry Christmas to you too.

I'm sure i'll grow to love the gun. Of course I won't be able to resist hunting for elk too but i'd like to concentrate on buffalo.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

We have a Sharps Rifle I think.
Code: Select all
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

nachthexe wrote:We have a Sharps Rifle I think.
I was talking about the Sharps in game. 45/70 Buffalo Rifle.

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/.45-70_Buffalo_Rifle
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That didn't work out. My eye that I can see out of it sensitive to light. I got what felt like a sunburn on the eye the day before yesterday from the bright winter map. I tried to darken it up and that didn't work either.

So, that ends the buffalo hunting since they're only on that map. That was a waste of money.

It doesn't help that I need to wear reading glasses and sit really close to the monitor. My eye takes a beating.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

OldMtnMan wrote:That didn't work out. My eye that I can see out of it sensitive to light. I got what felt like a sunburn on the eye the day before yesterday from the bright winter map. I tried to darken it up and that didn't work either.

So, that ends the buffalo hunting since they're only on that map. That was a waste of money.

It doesn't help that I need to wear reading glasses and sit really close to the monitor. My eye takes a beating.
I'm sorry to hear that Pete. I just wish they would just make the sunglasses, or especially the Traditional Snow Goggles, do their job properly and really reduce the glare to an acceptable level.

As a possible workaround, could you try starting your hunts at 5:00am and ending them by 9:00? If the weather's bad maybe you could go a little longer.... Just spit-balling.... Good luck Pete. Jim.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I tried different times Jimbo. I either couldn't see anything or it was too bright.

I have an advanced cataract in the eye I can see out of. It looks like i'm in a thick fog all the time in and out of game. So, early mornings are tough when I add more fog to my permanent fog. I do it sometimes on some maps but I should stop doing it and be like Ron and start at 11am all the time.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”