Ghillie Arctic vs 3D Arctic

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Ghillie Arctic vs 3D Arctic

Post by OldMtnMan »

I thought i'd try some bison hunting.

What's your opinion on the two Arctic suits?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Ghillie Arctic vs 3D Arctic

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Just use the free set to start. You should have it already in your clothing inventory. Basic arctic clothing Blue. If you dont like the map you have saved yourself some $. If you decide its a great place to hunt then buy a better suit. There is so very little difference in the actual camo result you will hardly notice any difference.
P.S. I think the free set came with the map but cant be sure. You may have to go get it from the store item by item.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

I would recommend the artic fox version.
Spoiler:
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Ghillie...better than 3D Arctic in visual reduction from Excellent to Legendary. This suit and a shot of scent elim and you are virtually invisible...oh btw, buying the Ghillie suit accessories separately now while they're on sale, is even cheaper than buying them in a bundle.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Alphamale1956 wrote:Ghillie...better than 3D Arctic in visual reduction from Excellent to Legendary. This suit and a shot of scent elim and you are virtually invisible...oh btw, buying the Ghillie suit accessories separately now while they're on sale, is even cheaper than buying them in a bundle.
It seems the map is so open that visual is really important. I can't hide and sneak up like I can on other maps. How about the Ghillie being a little noisier? Will the bison pick up on that?

How about the scarf? The 3D bundle comes with it and the Ghillie doesn't. I'll buy everything separate now that you say it's cheaper. Should I add the scarf to the Ghillie.

Thanks guys.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Just use the free set to start. You should have it already in your clothing inventory. Basic arctic clothing Blue. If you dont like the map you have saved yourself some $. If you decide its a great place to hunt then buy a better suit. There is so very little difference in the actual camo result you will hardly notice any difference.
P.S. I think the free set came with the map but cant be sure. You may have to go get it from the store item by item.
The problem with that is if I get busted in the free outfit it doesn't give me a result i'm looking for. I need to give it a good chance to see if I like it. Plus, when I try it i'll be in a comp. I'm too competitive to not give myself all the advantages I can while staying true to myself and being an ethical hunter.

I have the Weatherby .340 mag and 2x10x42 scope. It should work ok for bison. Some would use more scope but i'd still like to get as close as possible. Which is why what I wear is important.

I think the Ghillie is goofy looking but if it works i'll get it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I just looked at the comp that started today.

In the starter class the leader shot 19 moose and bison in 68 min. He didn't shoot small ones either. His top bison of 123.82 put him 68th on the big Leaderboard. This the starter class!!

That's too easy for me. I've hunted RFF for elk and in 68 min never saw or heard an elk and the only tracks I saw were cows.

There's a Roosevelt Elk comp starting today for a muzzleloader. I'll join that one instead of the bison. Even if I come in last it will be more fun than blasting bison in the snow.

I should have checked better before starting this thread but I had no idea bison/moose was this easy.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:Ghillie...better than 3D Arctic in visual reduction from Excellent to Legendary. This suit and a shot of scent elim and you are virtually invisible...oh btw, buying the Ghillie suit accessories separately now while they're on sale, is even cheaper than buying them in a bundle.
It seems the map is so open that visual is really important. I can't hide and sneak up like I can on other maps. How about the Ghillie being a little noisier? Will the bison pick up on that?

How about the scarf? The 3D bundle comes with it and the Ghillie doesn't. I'll buy everything separate now that you say it's cheaper. Should I add the scarf to the Ghillie.

Thanks guys.

Yes a "moderate" amount of noise added to the Ghillie (I suppose it's due to the amount of leaves added to the camo) is to be taken into consideration. But if you're still, you're invisible. I have both Arctic 3D and the Arctic Ghillie and there is a noticeable difference. I use the Winter scarf from my Arctic 3D outfit so no need to buy another. Also, I use Hunter Yellow glasses for Snow Goose hunting as it illuminates the sky during snow blizzards and I use Hunter Black Tinted glasses for all other ground hunting as it cuts down the bright snow glare. Indeed, the map is open so slow movement sorta negates the noise penalty and targets are "aplenty".
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I might still try it. Maybe the hunter I was talking about is really good or lucky. I should see for myself.

Plus, easy means it's easy for everybody and still a competition that's hard to win. I've been hunting RFF this morning for elk and not finding a lot of elk and they're small when I do. That's not very exciting either. At least with bison i'd be finding animals. I'll decide before the day is out.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Hah, does it work? I just now had a Male Polar Bear(over 28 score) wonder leisurely into my camp as I was setting up in the blind. I had my scent elim on and heard the growl and he was about 70m from my clearing. Bagged.

Return to “General Chat”