It Can't be Normal

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Re: It Can't be Normal

Post by CaplockHunter »

My dream map would be RFF because it looks more like Colorado than TGF.

For animals give it RME, moose, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn, goat, and sheep.

That would be Colorado hunting for big game. Then you could add small game too.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

ogruls wrote:
CaplockHunter wrote:I don't complain about not finding the biggest bull. I don't enter comps to win. That doesn't matter to me. I join just for the competition. To be part of it and put a little more meaning on the hunt. If I could delete the trophy's I would. In real life hunting i've never taxi'd an animal. I'd rather use the money to buy another gun to play with.

What i'm complaining about are so many young bulls on RFF.
They will follow the same distribution as the other reserves for animal sizes on spawning.

I'm still new to Classic but as OMM I had 760 elk killed. I never got one young bull like is on RFF. Even Hoo said it's like hunting for goats.
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

CaplockHunter wrote:That's what's on the map or that you killed?
Both. I killed every elk on the map. 26 males, 51 females. The distribution looks like...

Based on the limited data I've seen on Elk population density & distribution, this seems about right.
I have more experience with WT deer. But their distribution is just the right side of the bell curve with more 1-2 yrs olds, less 3-4 yr olds, a few 5 yr olds, and very few 6 yr olds.

Keep in mind that the EHR is pretty small compared to many of the western US hunting units. (RFF is ~6 mi², ~4000 acres)
The smallest unit I see in Colorado (Unit 1) is 127 mi².

On the "Game" side of the coin. The very top scores need to be limited enough to keep the leaderboard from becoming saturated with 99th percentile animals.
With millions of animals being harvested each season, the overall distribution could very well be skewed to a 'less than realistic' number of very large trophy animals.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Do you have the same data for the RME?
Pete

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

CaplockHunter wrote:Do you have the same data for the RME?
No, but I can do another hunt. Just have to work up the motivation for another marathon :D
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

How many hours did it take you?
Pete

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

And....how can you know that you got them all?
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Reformatted into percentiles. Definitely a big difference from RFF to TGT. Of course, it's only one hunt on each reserve. More data would paint a better picture.

The top 20% (80th percentile) looks the same, but the distribution below that is quite different.

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Tod1d wrote:Reformatted into percentiles. Definitely a big difference from RFF to TGT. Of course, it's only one hunt on each reserve. More data would paint a better picture.

The top 20% (80th percentile) looks the same, but the distribution below that is quite different.

Based on my experience I would say those score distributions are quite accurate on average.

Unrelated to your post by general info for readers:

For those of us that have been here long enough we know it used to be much tougher to find trophy animals. On the older reserves there have always been less trophy worthy animals. You can see a very definite difference in Mule Deer scores and their distribution between Logger's Point and Timbergold Trails that shows these differences. You are much more likely to find solid and trophy scoring Mule Deer on TgT to this day.

When VdB first came out that way of thinking was starting to shift. When VdB first came out there were animals everywhere (it's still not bad), it was seemingly too good as the numbers were culled at some point. What I used to refer to as Elkville on RFF used to be money in the bank for finding numerous Elk in any hunt, too much success was being had I guess so the spawning or pathing changed that still has people complaining about it today (this thread).

The thinking on score distributions and animal populations slowly changed as BRR and WRR were released but was only fully implemented with the release of Timbergold. Timbergold and Picabeen are the only reserves where you will find a healthy distribution of scores for all animals present. On BRR and WRR is somewhat more balanced for the new species that were introduced within those reserves, but any preexisting animals that also found their way onto those reserves share the same score distribution as on older reserves in my experience (Red Fox and Feral Hog on BRR, Moose on WRR).
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Deconstructed, what reserve do you think has the best chance for 24+ fox?

I'm mainly hunting BRR for this last part of the mission, as that is where I have generally hunted fox, but 24+ seems pretty rare so far on that reserve.

Return to “General Chat”