It Can't be Normal

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Re: It Can't be Normal

Post by CaplockHunter »

SRV wrote:
CaplockHunter wrote:Are we hunting or just gaming?

Is Classic a hunting game or just a shooters game that shoots animals as targets?

Shooter. Because all is predictable at some point with time & experience. Even though in real life animals have their routine also & their prefered spots to hang out, it is way more difficult. That's my opinion only based on experiences in years of playing & real-life hunting.

If you win a competition are you the better hunter or gamer?
Better gamer.

If you take two guys and put them head to head to shoot the most elk in one hour. They are both shown how the game works. One is a good gamer who never played a hunting game. The other has never played a video game but is an good real hunter. Who has the best odds to win?

I will put my money on the gamer. Because the game ain't that hard to learn & is repetitive. The real hunter could have a hard time getting his real-life experience aside to play this game.He will imagine/expect to see similar reactions & situations that he encounters in real-life. But that is not to be.
Does it make any difference in your answers if you hunt like I do? No aids which means no Huntermate, fast travel, callers, sprays, scents and mostly with the caplock with no scope. Sometimes i'll use other weapons in comps but the rest of the rules apply. I'm working on using the caplock full time because that matches my real hunting.

With that said, I may be fighting a losing battle. Maybe I should just quit and wait for a hunting sim to come along. I have 20 years auto racing and can go back to that but it will be hard. My feet and calves have gone numb on me and it will be hard feeling the pedals. This has been part of the reason I had to retire from real hunting too. I can barely walk and it's getting worse. I was hoping hunting games would be the answer but I don't want a shooters game.

Crap!
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
SRV
Tracker

Post by SRV »

CaplockHunter wrote: Does it make any difference in your answers if you hunt like I do? No aids which means no Huntermate, fast travel, callers, sprays, scents and mostly with the caplock with no scope. Sometimes i'll use other weapons in comps but the rest of the rules apply. I'm working on using the caplock full time because that matches my real hunting.
That, on the other hand, is different & imho way more difficult. One could get satisfaction closer to real-life like that. I remember trying this like 8-9 years ago when I first started & found it to be way harder. Needing more concentration & patience.

One, again imho, will never get the feeling of real hunting here. My friends & I could go for hours, what am I saying, for days without harvesting an animal & it didn't bother us at all. The joy of being together & doing our stuff was HUNTING! Succeeding or not.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I think everyone here has tried different techniques to make it the way they want. Eventually we all found happy mediums. Yes, making it harder is as simple as getting rid of all the aids. Is it more fun that way...? Depends I guess if you're looking for fun or not. As for the most realistic hunting game- I totally agree with that. Yes sir, this is it! ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

CaplockHunter wrote:Are we hunting or just gaming?
Gaming Obviously.
Because you are not competing against an animal with all its natural instinct and behaviors. you are competing against an Artificial intelligence programed by a human. There are no instincts or behaviors other than what has been conceived in the minds of the developers and included in a skeletal A.I. framework, and only a very limited number of responses and less varying unpredictable responses, compared to those of a wild animal. An animal is not limited to pre programmed responses and can change its responses according to each situation and the environment it lives in.
Its all about separating fantasy from reality and acting according to the world you find yourself operating in.
The gamer would have the edge over the non gaming hunter because of his familiarity with the keyboard and mouse controls and the ability to navigate more freely in the fantasy world and unlike the hunter, not being bound by the experience pertaining to the real life experience.
This is why gamers complain about the bugs, graphics and frame speeds while hunters complain about the weapons and animal behaviors. (Generality)
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Well, i've gamed for 23 years and hunted for 70 years. What does that make me?

I think a lot of you have just given into it's a game and not a sim so you can blast everything you see. I looked up the stats on one in this thread and saw over 5000 moose kills. He is obviously not interested in making it a sim.

Just because a man programmed how the elk reacts doesn't mean it can' be close to reality. It just depends on how much he knew about elk and how much effort he wanted to put into the code.

I fly the F/A-18C in DCS. Real pilots fly the plane and say it's very very close to the real plane. I race in Assetto Corsa Competizione and the real drivers from that race series say the cars drive like the real ones.

Yes, those are mechanical and may be easier to simulate then animal behavior. I'm not convinced that animal behavior can't be copied pretty close. Even if the animals were a perfect simulation it wouldn't stop you from mass killing. It's how gamers think. Don't blame the game. You don't want to hunt. You just want to kill.
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

jack30286 wrote:No one wants a hunting game like real hunting. Who wants to hunt all day and see no elk? If you hunt enough those days do come around.
I saw elk everyday but I didn't chose to shoot what I saw. When I found what I wanted I shot and the hunt was over as far as killing goes. Then the work began.

I could do that because I put the time into scouting to know where they were. Plus, hunting the same units for 7 decades. I did get to know where the elk hung out and where they went when pressured.

I found hunting for a mature mule deer much harder hunting than elk. Bear was harder yet.
Pete

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Doesn't matter which pot you cook it in, the fact remains, you are no longer pitting your wits against a wild animal. This game was conceived and built by developers and coders who have never hunted a day in their lives.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Made by non hunters to be played by non hunters.

I'm not joining that group. I'll continue to hunt as real as I can make it.
Pete

jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

CaplockHunter wrote:Made by non hunters to be played by non hunters.

I'm not joining that group. I'll continue to hunt as real as I can make it.
It is still the best hunting game out there and quite a few real hunters are playing it.
Spoiler:
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Pretty frustrating. Someone finally put up a normal hunting comp for Roosevelt Elk. I entered this morning and these are the elk I killed so far.
92, 66, 82, 178, 175, 205, and 199.

It can't be right when we have so many young elk. Most everybody hunts other maps for these comps but I want to hunt RFF all the time. It should be competitive with the other maps.
Pete

Return to “General Chat”